What happen to George??

bulldozier1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

George Selvie is dropping like a ton of bricks. If anyone watch his highlights on youtube? There's two George's from 07 to 09. In 07 he look so fast and quick. In 09 he look so slow and stiff. Then he get clocked in at 4.9 in the 40. And now his stock is dropping fast. There is a possibility he might not get drafted..

he was never as good as some people made him out to be. Look back at his 07 numbers and m ost of his sacks and TFL were vs 1AA and UCF FAU etc...

That's not true and if you go back and look a bit you'll get a bett flavor for George's career.  George had made a HUGE splash the last month of 2006 playing against ECU, UL, WVU, Pitt, and Cuse...where he had 4 sacks, and 9 TFL, and two FF, and a blocked XPT, and he had 6 QBH in those games.  In 2007 he had 2 TFL against RU in the infamous fumble forward game, he had 2.5 sacks and a FF against Uconn, and in that shootout with Cinci at home in 2007 George had 4 TFL, 1 FF and 1 blocked FG, then the next week against Syracuse he had 3.5 TFL and 1 sack, and 1 QBH.

George did a lot during our BE runs in 2006 and 2007.  George's issue wasn't his ability, or he was over-hyped, and that's crap about people that don't know his stuation or circumstances, especially when you say he did all his stats against UCF, FAU, and 1-AA.;..he only had one sack and one tackle against FAU...George's issues were simple.  He played in 2006 and 2007 closer to 230lbs, and was really a rushbacker type in a 3-4...after 2007 teams realized they had to scheme for George and George thought he had to bulk up to make an impression on the NFL things started to go back.  The system and coaching staff also got accustom to teams overcompensate for George so it allowed Wally and Joe to do other things.  But the bigger problem was George ended up working to hard to bulk up and getting caught in being an overweight DE with moderate quickness/explosiveness at 250lbs then when he was 230lbs....then he was also hampered with injury after injury.

Unfortunately George would have prospered more in a system of 3-4, or where he could have gone to a 5-2 like Snyder runs after 2007.  George was truly a victim of his own success and as teams schemed to stop him I think he took the wrong approach trying to counter-act.  I think everyone tried to over-think the circumstance and get George bigger to counter-act...they should have tried to keep him around 235-240lbs, and just work at strength, speed, and explosion.  To me adding 20lbs hampered his explosiveness and speed, and limited what made George George...and then as the injuries struck it only made matters worse.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,896
  • Days Won:  3

Advocating George should've stayed <240 lbs is advocating he never make it to the NFL. He couldn't make it at that size even as an OLB. I think he'll be fine at his current size as an OLB if he can adjust to being in open space more often.

• Content Count:  17,078
  • Days Won:  19

If GS was never the same because of an ankle injury that tells me we have the worst medical staff and strength and conditioning staff in all of college football.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

If GS was never the same because of an ankle injury that tells me we have the worst medical staff and strength and conditioning staff in all of college football.

doesnt usf have a fine medical school

let's blame the doctors!!!!

i hate doctors

• Content Count:  86

who is George Selvie?

• Content Count:  40

I agree wholeheartedly its his weight. It doesn't appear that he gained much when you compare his '07 program weight with his combine weight but as the previous poster mentioned, he was likely playing around 230... His frame is not suited to carry the extra weight. His best chance for survival in the NFL is to shed back but then as someone else mentioned, he'll be less than ideal weight for olb... Catch-22 but I wish him the best. He has the heart to do it.

• Content Count:  4,016

I agree wholeheartedly its his weight. It doesn't appear that he gained much when you compare his '07 program weight with his combine weight but as the previous poster mentioned, he was likely playing around 230... His frame is not suited to carry the extra weight. His best chance for survival in the NFL is to shed back but then as someone else mentioned, he'll be less than ideal weight for olb... Catch-22 but I wish him the best. He has the heart to do it.

George was caught in a no-win situation after his 2007 season.  He made such a splash as an undersized DE around 230lbs that year...but that size is for OLB.  He was thinking NFL, and instead of moving him around to OLB, the team needed him at DE.  So he thought the idea was to bulk up, and build himself into the consummate NFL DE...but for some reason his body was never good at that (ask around, Honey Buns are not an answer to bulking, and the staff tried to add good weight but he struggled with it).  Remember George benched 410lbs, he was strong, but weight lifting, running...he could never keep on weight.  By his 2008 season he got that 20lbs of bulk, but he lost some of his explosiveness, and quickness...the hallmarks to his great production in 2006 and 2007 (he had a big 2nd half of the year in 2006).  Once that was gone George was just a run of the mill average DE, then the ankle injury hit in 2008, and teams started double and triple teaming him and he just didnt have it.

George's best bet would have been to stay at 230lbs and play OLB/Rush Backer...but USF didn't have the luxury of giving him that opportunity.  This is the realities of bigtime college football sometimes players are forced to fit the need of the team, not what will help them advance their personal careers.

Archived