Bill Modified

cmhatter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

dont be hypocrites

the designation is to arbitrary and capricous

How so?  I'd like your explanation "great and powerful" smazz. 

In academic circles, the Carnegie raties are really important, and for the state legislature to call out and allow for those schools with the highest designation by Carnegie to be able to receive funding/attention/special consideration by the state as a result of their achievements, does not sound like anything "arbitrary" to me.

I would like to see you critically debate this and offer some form of dialog on this, assuming you can and this was not just another wild arsed opinion from you on yet another topic you are not knowledgeable on.

the state is designating it's own schools as the greatest which in an of itself insane

it is like me DESIGNATING ME AS THE GREATEST TRIAL LAWYER IN THE WORLD

if usf wasnt included most of you,including  YOU ,would be screaming and ranting

since we are including it is fine

cant explain it any better

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

dont be hypocrites

the designation is to arbitrary and capricous

How so?  I'd like your explanation "great and powerful" smazz. 

In academic circles, the Carnegie raties are really important, and for the state legislature to call out and allow for those schools with the highest designation by Carnegie to be able to receive funding/attention/special consideration by the state as a result of their achievements, does not sound like anything "arbitrary" to me.

I would like to see you critically debate this and offer some form of dialog on this, assuming you can and this was not just another wild arsed opinion from you on yet another topic you are not knowledgeable on.

the state is designating it's own schools as the greatest which in an of itself insane

it is like me DESIGNATING ME AS THE GREATEST TRIAL LAWYER IN THE WORLD

if usf wasnt included most of you,including  YOU ,would be screaming and ranting

since we are including it is fine

cant explain it any better

If you actually read, there are a number of us still opposed to this bill even with USF included. Its not right that any of the other Florida schools, like FAU, UNF, FGCU, are blocked from becoming a top notch university.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I'm not sure how this changes the designated system already in place regarding state universities. UF, FSU and USF are already designated in a higher category by the state over all the other universities, based on the amount of research they do.   

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

We ARE part of the top 3 research institutions in the state, so for you people that are pissed, I have to ask, whats the big deal? Why are you so concerned about this bill not allowing UCF, FAU, FGCU, ect. from taking our spot or becoming just as big as us? Im fine with it. This actually works out better for us, and thats what we need to worry about. Maybe I just dont understand. If I am wrong, someone please explain to me why this does not benefit USF.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I like it better on top.  USF, FSU and UF are the three major public research universities in Florida with the highest Carnegie classification...UCF, FGCU, FIU, UNF, etc. have different missions.

I like it better on top.  USF, FSU and UF are the three major public research universities in Florida with the highest Carnegie classification...UCF, FGCU, FIU, UNF, etc. have different missions.

UNF has one of the best business programs in the state.

FSU has the best music and law.

USF has great accounting, robotic engineering, and medical prgrams.

UCF has great engineering.

The point is that each state school specializes in different things.  Is it right that because of state law UF or USF has a first choice at a project or grant when UCF is a much better choice.

Look at it this way; what if UCF got the flagship status over USF, and because of it got funding for cancer research at their new medical school, despite the fact USF has a more experienced medical program and has direct connections to the Moffitt Cancer Center.

Rather than promote a select few, the state should work on making the 11 state universities  the best possible in certain areas, rather than having a medical school at every one of them.  Create a strong system of universities to then make all of them stronger universities.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

^^ The way I read the bill, the Board of Governors is charged in the bill too with aligning and matching the 11 universities and their strengths and missions just as you suggest.  The "flagship" term was eliminated from the bill.  Whether the Board of Governors can actually do that will be determined after the bill passes...they should be doing it already without the bill.  Of course each of the universities may have their own individual plans that don't match up with what the Board of Governors wants.

Modified SB 2442:  http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=sb2442c2.html&Directory=session/2010/Senate/bills/billtext/html/

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

So really, all the Senate did was reaffirm the status quo (more or less) and slap the hands of Machem and that idiot committee leader who were trying to pull some kind of UF power play.

So really, all the Senate did was reaffirm the status quo (more or less) and slap the hands of Machem and that idiot committee leader who were trying to pull some kind of UF power play.

Or to put it better, they are arguing about something that is mostly useless and wasting their time in Tallahassee, while the state has bigger issues, like unemployment.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

UNF has one of the best business programs in the state.

FSU has the best music and law.

USF has great accounting, robotic engineering, and medical prgrams.

UCF has great engineering.

The point is that each state school specializes in different things.  Is it right that because of state law UF or USF has a first choice at a project or grant when UCF is a much better choice.

Look at it this way; what if UCF got the flagship status over USF, and because of it got funding for cancer research at their new medical school, despite the fact USF has a more experienced medical program and has direct connections to the Moffitt Cancer Center.

Rather than promote a select few, the state should work on making the 11 state universities  the best possible in certain areas, rather than having a medical school at every one of them.  Create a strong system of universities to then make all of them stronger universities.

are you kidding

the only thing that matters is ATHLETICS

Archived