Rutgers Spring Scouting

smazza

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,844
  • Days Won:  35

Will pudgy take them over the hump this year?

I don't think so.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

USF NEEDS TO BEAT RUTGERS

WITHOUT BEATING RUTGERS USF WILL NEVER COMPETE FOR BIG EAST CROWN

Breaking News, Must-See Sports Stories, Newspaper article, Practice report, Reporters' blog »

Blocking ability gives Evan Lampert major role in Rutgers' offense

By Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger

April 10, 2010, 10:00AM

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerEvan Lampert says of his blocking ability: 'It's just about hitting someone. That's what I like to do.'This is all you need to know about Evan Lampert’s football mentality: At Pascack Hills High School, he played a position on offense that was called "bone."

"I was the middle guy. The quarterback would grab onto my jersey and we’d run straight ahead, with me knocking over as many people as I could," he said. "That was a lot of fun for me. I like to hit people."

Apparently, simply hitting people has become an underappreciated speciality. Though he he was a solid two-way player at Pascack Hills, Lampert was only seriously recruited by Maine.

Then former Rutgers assistant Darren Rizzi stepped in and convinced the 6-3, 260-pounder that there would be a place for him with the Scarlet Knights if he would walk on.

Lampert did.

Three years later he has emerged as one of the keys in Rutgers’ offense. He’s listed as a tight end, though defining what he does isn’t that simple. When an extra blocker is needed in a double tight end set, Lampert often gets the call. When an extra blocker is needed in the backfield in place of the fullback, Lampert does that as well. In short-yardage and goal line situations he’s usually in, too.

He probably won’t catch a pass and may not even generate a statistic, but he will play a major role in the offense because of his blocking ability – wherever he lines up.

"Anywhere I can play, I’ll play. Anywhere," Lampert said. "Someone’s got to do it, so why not someone who loves to do it? I don’t mind putting my head into people."

Did he also mention that he’s the wedge-buster on Rutgers’ kickoffs?

"I love it," he said. "I know a lot of people don’t feel that way about doing that job, but I do."

Though he arrived at Rutgers as a tight end, Lampert was switched to defensive end the spring of his freshman year. He was still there until the late stages of pre-season camp last summer, until head coach Greg Schiano found a way to match what Lampert does best with what Rutgers needed most.

He became a tight end, joining Shamar Graves, converted quarterback D.C. Jefferson, an imposing 6-6, 260-pounder, and a trio of freshmen: Paul Carrezola, Tony Trahan and Malcolm Bush. Lampert played in all 13 games, seeing as much time as any of them – often more than most.

All because he can block.

"I was always a decent blocker, but it’s not the same in high school as it is in college," he said. "In high school you just have to get a hand on a guy. Here it’s completely different. I never really zone blocked until I got here. But it’s contact. I love contact. So I just kept repping at it until I reached the point where I didn’t have to think about it.

"Really, it’s just about hitting someone. That’s what I like to do."

The satisfaction, he says, comes from watching a running back reach the end zone.

"That’s my reward," he said.

RUTGERS HAS A GREAT QB

Rutgers struggles for offense in first scrimmage of spring

By Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger

April 10, 2010, 7:28PM

Saed Hindash/The Star-LedgerTom Savage, shown throwing during practice last week, was a pedestrian 7-for-14 for 55 yards during the scrimmage Saturday.This is what you get when you match a good defense that’s season-ready against a rebuilt offensive line missing two potential starters: 150-plus plays with virtually nothing in the way of points.

That was how Rutgers’ first scrimmage of the spring unfolded today at Rutgers Stadium.

“We were a little upset at times. It was frustrating moving the ball,†said left offensive tackle Desmond Stapleton, who is projected as a right tackle for the fall. “I was hoping we’d score a little more.â€

Or at least once.

During the game-like conditions that comprised the first half of the scrimmage — situational goal-line drills and special teams work followed — the offense failed to reach the end zone. Even the two field-goal attempts during that time came up empty.

Quarterback Tom Savage, playing through a thigh bruise, was a pedestrian 7-for-14 for 55 yards during the actual scrimmage. Backup Steve Shimko, the only other scholarship quarterback on the roster, was even less effective, going 8-for-21 for 92 yards with an interception (returned 49 yards for a touchdown by new safety Darrell Givens, converted from cornerback on Wednesday).

The running game?

Joe Martinek, the only healthy scholarship tailback on the roster, had 2 yards on eight carries during his first-team work.

“All in all, encouraging — but we have a long way to go,†Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said.

Schiano praised his players for “great energy and focus. They played hard. They hit each other.â€

But he also acknowledged, “We were inefficient on offense. I don’t think we protected the quarterback very well on offense. I don’t think we ran the ball very well on offense.â€

Schiano had an up-close view of the shortcomings since he spent most of his time watching the offense. What he saw on a day when wind gusts were between 15 and 17 mph, is a unit that will only go as far as the revamped offensive line takes it.

Already needing to replace three starters from last year, the offensive line is also missing two potential starters, center Howard Barbieri and guard/tackle Desmond Wynn, due to injuries.

Given that, it came as no surprise that the offense struggled the way it did. The Knights’ promising defense, looking game-ready, contributed to that.

“I guess it’s probably pretty close (to what he has seen) from watching what has transpired this first eight practices,†Schiano said. “This isn’t too far off the mark.â€

Savage admitted that “obviously, we have a ton of stuff to work on.â€

But he knows it’s too early to panic — just as he knows what he was up against this early in the spring.

“That defense is unbelievable out there,†he said. “I’m glad I don’t have to play against them during the season.â€

NOTES

TE Evan Lampert suffered a hip injury and was limited.

Strongside LB Manny Abreu also saw time at defensive end

There were no major surprises among the two-deep.

Schiano said that walk-on WR Phil Lewis of Metuchen had extensive arm surgery on Friday after suffering what he called “a pretty serious†injury. He said Lewis “will be fine.â€

Tom Luicci may be reached at tluicci@starledger.com

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Are defense will punch him in the face this year.  Rutgers will finish crappy again.

Since when did a championship run through Jersey ?

• Content Count:  209
  • Days Won:  0

It doesn't run through Rutgers, but it does give USF an idea of where the team is come half way through the season.

It doesn't run through Rutgers, but it does give USF an idea of where the team is come half way through the season.

that attitude permeated through program and that is why usf underachieved all these years

you need to beat all opponents and dont take them for granted especially the teams that have embarrased you for YEARS

the lack of sophistication of our fans surprises me at times

usf battles rutgers for the same florida recruits with rutgers

My point is that USF and Rutgers are on equal ground.

My point is that USF and Rutgers are on equal ground.

i lost track 3 or 4 straight times has rutgers beat usf

they own us

that is why they play the game

we are not equal with rutgers and havent been since first year in big east

Let's look outside Rutgers vs USF ...

What has Rutgers done ... since they "invented" college football ?

They are equal to USF. And have had MANY more than 2 losing seasons.

Archived