• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Mitchell back with a vengence; Whitley no-heights vault

Posted Apr 23, 2010 at 02:24 PM

Updated Apr 23, 2010 at 03:51 PM

43185_terrence-mitchell.jpg

Hillsborough senior Terrence Mitchell, back from a two-week suspension for cursing at the county championships, battled through the pain of infected wisdom teeth to win the long jump, qualified first in the 100-meter dash finals and also reached the finals of the triple jump at Friday’s Class 3A-District 9 track and field championships at Armwood.

For Armwood junior pole vaulter Zack Whitley, who was stranded in Ireland until Thursday because of the Icelandic volcano eruption, it was a different story. Whitley was unable to clear his opening height of 10 feet and was eliminated from the competition. Since only the top four in each event at districts advance to regionals, Whitley’s season is over.

Mitchell, meanwhile, has been trying to ignore the swelling in his jaw from infected wisdom teeth. He’s on antibiotics but the swelling is so severe he can barely speak. Still, Mitchell, who is state-ranked in the 100, triple and long jumps, has excelled here. He won the long jump—taking just one attempt—with a mark of 22 feet, 1.5 inches. He’s sitting in third place of the triple jump at 43-4.5 and just ran 10.94 in 100 qualifying. He came back to qualify fifth for the finals of the 400 (53.59), a relatively new event this season for Mitchell.

Between Whitley’s elimination in the vault, David Tinsley’s inability to reach the discus finals for Armwood and a loss to Hillsborough in the 4x800, it’s been a rough day so far the Hawks, who entered the meet as slight favorites over Hillsborough. With Mitchell back in the mix, the Terriers could repeat as district champs.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/mitchell-back-with-a-vengence-whitley-no-heights-vault/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3A-9 track: Mitchell wins three events as Hillsborough's boys, girls take team titles

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:45 p.m.

By Joey Knight

photo gallery

SEFFNER — Competing for the first time since his disqualification from the county meet for using profanity, Hillsborough senior Terrence "T-Rex" Mitchell didn't utter a peep Friday.

It was far too painful to do so.

Three days after having his six-week suspension reduced by the Florida High School Athletic Association in time to compete in Friday's Class 3A, District 9 meet, Mitchell quietly won three events and placed third in another to propel the Terriers to the team title.

Yet for a guy who had every reason to smile, Mitchell couldn't. A wisdom tooth infection that seeped into his throat and stomach left Mitchell barely able to open his mouth while winning the long jump (22 feet, 1.5 inches), 100 meters (10.84 seconds) and 400 (49.74).

"I'm just trying to do enough to get through (to regionals)," said Mitchell, sounding as if he had a mouth full of granola.

Terriers coach Joe Sipp said Mitchell was hospitalized briefly earlier in the week and had to return when he received the wrong prescription. Yet despite not practicing, the USF football signee still won the 400 handily enough to decelerate the final 15 or so meters.

"He's in a lot of pain," Sipp said. "He just did what he had to do to get out (of districts)."

Mitchell's presence helped Hillsborough avenge its narrow loss to Armwood at the county meet 17 days before.

Seniors Carlton Walton (triple jump) and Adolphus Barnes (discus), junior Brandon McFadden (shot put) and two Terriers relay teams also won district titles. Mitchell and Sickles senior Julian Gines (800 and 1,600) were the only individuals to win multiple events.

The Terriers girls, meantime, got a huge day from Narricka Williams to win their fifth consecutive district team title.

Williams set a personal record in the 100 hurdles (15.48), won the 300 hurdles and anchored the winning 4x400 relay team.

Elsewhere, King freshman Sandra Akachukwu won the 200 and high jump, East Bay's Nakia Love prevailed in both the long and triple jumps, and Durant's Grace VanDeGrift won the 1,600 and 3,200.

Plant City valedictorian and Auburn signee Erika Kolakowski won the 800 by nearly 10 seconds and anchored the Raiders' winning 4x800 relay team. Plant City was third when the baton got to Kolakowski, who took the lead on the far turn and won by more than two seconds.

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/blog/2010/apr/23/5967-3a-9-track-mitchell-wins-three-events-as-hillsboroughs-boys-girls-take-team-titles/

• Content Count:  17,078
  • Days Won:  19

Justice. Probably can't do anything about those wisdom teeth until after the season.

BTW, incoming recruit Mark Joyce won both the 100m hurdles and 300m hurdles in his district meet. He, like Mitchell, might not be redshirted.

http://fl.milesplit.us/meets/71511/results/119565

normal

This is what one track writer said about him:

Although non-racing photos show that Deland’s Mark Joyce has a sensitive side, when he’s hurdling he might more accurately be described as the “Trackinator.†Football-big, fast between the hurdles and furious going over (and occasionally through) them, he seems to have more gears than a semi. When the competition gets tough, he gets tougher. 110s or 300s, it doesn’t matter.  (If you added hurdles to the 800, he’d probably win that too.) After the final in the 300 (which he won in 39.36), I asked him if he thought the 300 hurdles was the toughest race in track.

“Yessir,†he answered between gulps of air.  “All I know is that I’m tired; those boys pushed me hard.â€

“How does it compare to the 110s?†I asked, pushing my luck after his fourth race of the day.

“It’s a totally different race. This (the 300) is a beast. My butt’s burnin’. You don’t get that in the 110.â€

“I guess it’s good to be done with your last race?†I asked.

“I got eight more races,†he corrected me, “in the Regional and State.â€

http://fl.milesplit.us/articles/42245

• Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

Can you imagine how bad ass the track team would be if we added Ja'juan story... **** man.

Can you imagine how bad ass the track team would be if we added Ja'juan story... **** man.

Yep, it would be nice to have him playing both sports:

News Feed

Apr 21, 2010

Jujuan ran a PR of 10.97 in the 100m at FHSAA 3A District 7, placing first.

Jujuan ran a PR of 22.26 in the 200m at FHSAA 3A District 7, placing second.

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/652039

Meanwhile, 2011 Verbal WR Alex Mut qualified in two events for his regional:

News Feed

Apr 22, 2010

Alexander went 20-11 in the Long Jump at FHSAA 3A District 11, placing first.

Alexander ran a 52.11 in the 400m at FHSAA 3A District 11, placing second.

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/82043

A few other incoming USF players are doing well in track, like Reshard Cliett:

News Feed

Apr 17, 2010

Reshard went 5-10 in the High Jump at Westover Relays, placing 5th.

Reshard went 40-4 in the Triple Jump at Westover Relays, placing 13th.

Reshard ran a new season best time of 10.96 in the 100m at Westover Relays, placing 4th.

Reshard ran a PR of 22.51 in the 200m at Westover Relays, placing 4th.

http://ga.milesplit.us/athletes/317971/stats

• Content Count:  994

I'm pretty excited about Cliett at sub 11 and Joyce's 110 hurdle time as well.  I was under the impression that both of these guys might just be undersized LB's. 

• Content Count:  10,219

seems we have added major speed in the last few years...now can we use that speed effectively.

I'm pretty excited about Cliett at sub 11 and Joyce's 110 hurdle time as well.  I was under the impression that both of these guys might just be undersized LB's. 

I think we brought them both in to play safety first. However, they also could be switched to LB down the road. Frankly, I wouldn't mind trying Cliett out as a WR, this year, since we are in need at that position.

Their profiles:

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204879867

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37319&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204879662

Justice. Probably can't do anything about those wisdom teeth until after the season.

Tooth out, pain down, Mitchell up

Posted April 26, 2010 by Bill Ward

Updated Apr 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM

After the successful removal of an infected wisdom tooth Saturday, Hillsborough senior track standout Terrence Mitchell returned to practice Monday looking and feeling a lot better.

“He was able to do the whole workout,†said Terriers coach Joe Sipp. “He’s starting to look like his old self.â€

Mitchell competed with the sore tooth in Friday’s Class 3A-District 9 meet at Armwood, where the swelling around the infected area became so severe he could barely speak. Two days before the meet, the pain and swelling were so sever, Mitchell went to a hospital emergency room. The following day, he had an allergic reaction to the medication given for his tooth, which forced him back to the doctor. Despite all that, Mitchell won the long jump, 100- and 400-meter dashes at the 3A-9 meet, and also placed third in the triple jump. Led by that effort, the Terriers won the boys team title over an outstanding Armwood squad that earlier this month won the county championships.

Saturday afternoon, Mitchell had a single tooth removed by dentists, said his father, Frank Mitchell. The procedure took a little more than an hour and there were no complications.

Mitchell’s recovery is not only vital to the Terriers’ successful defense of their regional crown Thursday in Punta Gorda, but also to their hopes of winning a 3A championship next week in Winter Park. Mitchell is ranked No. 2 in the 3A state rankings for the 100 and long jump, is No. 7 in the triple jump and, despite having raced it just a handful of times this season, No. 11 in the 400.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/tooth-out-pain-down-mitchell-up/

Archived