Our QB situtation

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

From the Luncheon Quotes:

Coach Leavitt:

“We’ve got four guys that will compete in the spring. You’ve got Pat (Julmiste), you’ve got Anthony Severino from Jesuit High School, he really works hard, you’ve got Louis Gachette, you’ve got Courtney Denson. They’ll all compete. Pat has more experience and he’s been successful in games so that part is there. They all have different abilities.â€Â

From the Tribune:

Former Florida quarterback Justin Midgett will meet with South Florida coach Jim Leavitt this week and could make a decision between USF and Eastern Illinois in the coming weeks, Midgett's father said.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBVQDWKM2E.html

And then there is Matt Grothe.

Q: Aside from Hill, are there any other QBs we are looking at?

Q: Do you think Denson will start next fall, and will he be a senior?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Grothe has a lot of talent but will be tough for he to start as freshman, i would rather he was redshirted and have time to adjust to college, learn the system and get stronger.

Denson i believe has three years eligibility at USF, he will be a sophomore. I believe he will be the starter frm the start or will take over soon after. Julmiste will be the back up.

In 2006we could have a strong QB competition and depth with Denson a JR with playing experience, Julmiste a SR with playing experience,Grothe a redshirt FR with one yr learning the system and Midgett if he transfered a junior with also 1 yr learning the system.

Your QB's get better when you have quality competition something we have never had at USF.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

For Midgett's sake I hope he transfers to Eastern Illinois so he can play immediately. He hasn't played in three years and can't afford to sit out another year.

grothe finished a close second in the running for fl mr. football. i'm praying to god denson can come in and win the starting position convincingly (some juco help on defense would be nice too). otherwise, starting a true freshman or julmiste in the big east with our pass defense might just get us kicked right back out of the league.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041212/NEWS/412120390/1254

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

What is the latest on Carlton Hill? Is he still in the USF mix at all? Last I heard, the UCF fans were gloating about his de-commitment, but I haven't heard him declare for anywhere else.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

He is probably going to wait on UM, The problem for him is that the Canes have only 15 scholarships available this year.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

He is probably going to wait on UM, The problem for him is that the Canes have only 15 scholarships available this year.

and two all-americans already on the roster

Guest HowieP1

It will be interesting to see what Gachette can do. At least he's willing to play another position if things don't go his way at QB.

From signing day 2004:

Gachette, meanwhile, said he thinks he'll get an opportunity to play quarterback for the hard- charging Bulls. If not, a spot at free safety also is on the mind of the versatile standout.

"I think there's a good chance for me to start," he said. "I saw the quarterbacks up there and I think I have a chance."

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

And they already have one four star QB in that commitment list.  Furthermore, they're bound to land one of the top 5 WR's in the country.  I think Miami would be willing to take him as an athlete, but I am betting Hill wants to see how it shakes out a bit.

On our QB's, Denson's a great athlete, but still trying to work off the rust at QB.  Gachette's shown very little to date, PJ well we see flashes of good, and tons of crap.  He needs to clean a ton up if he wants to start next year.

A few better transfer prospects than Midgett.  At this juncture, for fear of jeopardizing the chance to sign Grothe, and/or Hill.  I just don't think Midgett is that good, I would have been gunho had he wanted to transfer this summer, but at this juncture there is just too much to lose, and frankly better transfer options if that's the route we must go.

Grothe's the future of USF football.  The kid's thrown for over 6,000 yards in HS, and rushed for another 2200 more.  He definitely stands taller than 6ft, and has run a spread offense for three years.  He's a gritty kid, with a solid arm, good to great intermediate accuracy, decent arm strength, nice touch and knows when to use it.  

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

out of curiosity, did Grothe he run the offense under center or from the gun?