Scrimmage Thoughts

cmhatter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I thought Giddens looked really good.

One play Lindsey Lamar was "pass blocking" and Giddens came thru and lit him up!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Young had some great hits, Miller ran preatty **** tough-my biggest surprise of the day, way to early to tell-but I liked how the coaches were interacting, I loved the extra effort and discipline I saw after the scrimmage

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

I'm really looking forward to Young. That kid can hit.

Miller also ran pretty well. He'll probably be up there on the depth chart.

I didn't like the offsides and false starts early though. That may just be rust or whatever, but still should be improved on nonetheless. I talked to FCSH after and he said they were going to work a lot on that next week.

Receivers had alot of dropped balls. BJ had alot of tipped passes. Looks like BJ and WR's need to work on timing. All that will come with time though.

Overall, it's about what I expected for the first scrimmage. Let's hope the offense can pick it up come fall.

• Content Count:  1,079

appreciate you guys sharing some info from today

• Content Count:  1,894

its all well and great young was hitting today but he didnt show anything last year except that he takes horrible angles and runs pretty stiff. It will be a huge suprise if he is an impact player. Im not sold on him at all.

• Content Count:  3,755
  • Days Won:  3

OL needs to vastly improve run/pass blocking.

A lot of penalties but most were offsides and false starts, which can be corrected after all it is only the first scrimmage.

BJ looked good for the most part, considering his mind was probably with his roommate who is in the hospital.

Receivers need to catch still, timing played a big role in the drops i saw though.

RB's ran very tough and earned their yards. Gonna be a interesting battles here.

Defense played good imo. Fast to the ball, tackled well and only gave up a few big plays. DL is stacked, and the LB's looked solid, but need better communication. Same with secondary.

Great first scrimmage and everything i saw can be improved on. Enjoyed the day and hope they do this again next season. Holtz and staff are the real deal from what i saw btw.

• Content Count:  476

On a side note. Great respect from the players after the scrimmage. Personally thanking you for coming, shaking your hand, and being  receptive for autographs / pictures.

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

yea man Joel is no slouch.

he can carry the ball very well... just needs an opportunity.

always fell forward, made a lot of people miss, did well in pass pro...

Anyone else notice that Claude Davis wasn't a very good tackler today? I saw him miss 2 or 3 easy stops.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204917241

I like comments from the player, "Felt like a real Division 1 team"-he was referring to having the crowd at the scrimmage...very cool

• Content Count:  8,179
  • Days Won:  6

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204917241

TAMPA --Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel wrote last month that USF head coach Skip Holtz was, "the most media friendly head coach in the state of Florida."

On Saturday, he continued to work on being the most fan friendly head coach.

Skip wrote a letter to all renewed season ticket holders and thanked them for continued support of USF football. He also invited them to Saturday's scrimmage. Nearly 700 season ticket holders took advantage of the exclusive opportunity to watch the first scrimmage of the Holtz era.

"Wasn't that great?" said Holtz. "There is so much enthusiasm from our fans and we want to continue to build on that. They turned out in great numbers today and most hung around for the entire scrimmage."

USF had not held an open scrimmage (of this nature) in recent history.

Holtz even welcomed the fans prior to the scrimmage. He took time to say hello, explain the objectives of the day and break the news that starting quarterback B.J. Daniels was not expected at the scrimmage because he had a close friend who was in a serious car crash on Friday evening.

Daniels missed pre-practice meetings and the first 30 minutes of the scrimmage, before eventually joining the team and taking snaps with the offense.

Daniels did not meet with the media afterwards, but he took time to sign autographs for fans.

The media spent time with Holtz, offensive coordinator Todd Fitch, defensive coordinator Mark Snyder, running back Demetris Murray and defensive end Craig Marshall. BullsVision has coverage of all the interviews, as well as a photo gallery from the scrimmage.

Highlights

Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder and Holtz were both impressed with the play of the safeties, who had a couple big hits. Jerrell Young and Jacquez Jenkins impressed the crowd with a pair of explosive tackles.

Sophomore running back Demetris Murray had the only rushing touchdown of the day. He scored on an approximately 15-yard run that was filled with broken tackles. Murray met with the media afterwards, make sure you catch his comments on BullsVision.

Daniels connected with redshirt-freshman tight end Isaac Virgin on a long pass up the seam. The play went for 40-plus yards and was the only big gainer of the day.

Daniels also hit sophomore Victor Marc for the only passing touchdown of the day. Marc was able to create a little space and reel in the TD, despite his defender being flagged for pass interference on the play.

Other notable performers were Joel Miller, Dontavia Bogan and the defensive line. Miller had a few nice runs, where he used his quick feet to pick up yardage in tight traffic. Bogan had a couple nice gains on wide receiver screens. The defensive line put almost constant pressure on the USF quarterbacks and piled up a good total of sacks and tackles for loss.

We also have to give credit to walk-on quarterback Ryan Eppes, who got into a rhythm after his first two series and was effective in moving the offense.

Scheduling

USF will practice on Monday and Wednesday afternoon of this week and then have the weekend off for Easter. The Bulls have completed seven of the NCAA allowed 15 spring practices.

Archived