with 4 nfl talent level guys on defense

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Pride, I think most here will agree with you that the D historically has been the strength of the team.  And yes they were hung out by the O against Pitt and RU (particularly RU) last year, but the failures last year were incredible for a team with possibly 5 players who could end up in the NFL this year.

Against Pitt, the offense got it to 14-7 and the D immediately gave up a score.

Against Cincy, allowing that TD by Collaros.  The O then makes it 24-17 and the D allows another score.

Against UConn, the offense twice took a lead in the 4th quarter only to allow the Huskies to drive right down the field.

Now I do blame Tresey for playing the CBs so far back which did not allow the rush to get to the QB.  But both Cincy and UConn were winnable with better D.  Outside of FSU there was no dominant Defensive performance last year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

our defense was nothing special this year. we ranked as low on that side of the ball as we did on the offense during conference play. kind of surprising with the talent we had and the fact that the offense had a redshirt freshman first year starter at QB.

Total Defense (BE rank) = 5

Total offense = 5

Rushing Defense = 4

Rushing Offense = 5

Passing Offense = 7

Passing Defense = 6

Scoring Offense = 6

Scoring Defense = 5

Sacks by = tied for last

Sacks against = 6

Opponents 3rd down conversions = 8

But it also didn't help their cause when against teams like RU, and Pitt the offense literally hung them out to dry never keeping any sustainable drives, and constantly turning the ball over.

Through the years during Leavitt's tenure it's been the defense us fans have felt the worst for at times, including this year, because there were times the offense just never showed up and left the defense out to dry.  Hardly fair at times when you have an offense against Pitt, and RU that averaged almost 200 yards below their average and did nothing.

yes the offense didn't help the defense much this year but with a system that relies on a QB to do 80% of the work, you can't expect much when a RS freshmen takes over after 2 1/2 games. There is no way a defense with that much talent and experience should rank as low as an offense with that much inexperience especially at it's most important position.

We were 5th in the conference for time of possession. we were 6th in turnover margin(of course without 7 takeaways against syracuse we would have been dead last in takeaways).

This defense was nothing special. they played with little heart at times.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

The defense play one great game the whole season. That was the fsu game. FSU had a great offense that our defense put to sleep. If that defense would have shown up the whole year, they would've had a better record. Or maybe they were playing over there heads.

• Content Count:  3,896
  • Days Won:  3

The defense play one great game the whole season. That was the fsu game. FSU had a great offense that our defense put to sleep. If that defense would have shown up the whole year, they would've had a better record. Or maybe they were playing over there heads.

They were.

• Content Count:  12,718
  • Days Won:  25

Annnnddd nnnooowww...

turn the page. It don't matter any more!

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Pride, I think most here will agree with you that the D historically has been the strength of the team.  And yes they were hung out by the O against Pitt and RU (particularly RU) last year, but the failures last year were incredible for a team with possibly 5 players who could end up in the NFL this year.

Against Pitt, the offense got it to 14-7 and the D immediately gave up a score.

Against Cincy, allowing that TD by Collaros.  The O then makes it 24-17 and the D allows another score.

Against UConn, the offense twice took a lead in the 4th quarter only to allow the Huskies to drive right down the field.

Now I do blame Tresey for playing the CBs so far back which did not allow the rush to get to the QB.  But both Cincy and UConn were winnable with better D.  Outside of FSU there was no dominant Defensive performance last year.

We can talk about Tresey and the systemic changes that occurred on defense that led to some issues, which definitely hurt the defense's continuity and ability, but if the offense had move the ball with any consistency against RU, Cinci, and Pitt, and early against Uconn...I think the defense would have responded better.  

Remember a team like Cinci was accustom to giving up almost 450 yards per game, and 24pts.   I hate debating sematics but you brought up the Cincinnati game.  Let's look at the Cinci game...we start the game 3 and out, and punted the ball 15 yards, and automatically put Cinci in FG range.  Their next score was a TD that was due to an INT returned 70 yards to the five which they converted to go up 10-7....after that our offense mustered a gapping 150 yards.

Remember Cinci averaged over 455 ypg on offense and 39.5ppg....we held them to 392 and 34pts...not a huge defensive shutdown but few could completely shutdown that offense.  Secondly, their defense averaged surrendering around 385ypg, and 24.5ppg.  Our offense was held to 368, and 17ppg.  

It was the relative ineffectiveness of our offense with three turnovers to their one, with two bad punts to their none...and therefore it put our defense in difficult spots, and without sustained drives eventually a full let down.

Granted the defense could have been a bit more equipped to handle Collaros when the game was within reach, but the very next series after his 75 yard scamper was a 5 play drive and punt.

Let's go back to RU, despite that awful whipping RU still averaged over 360ypg, and our defense held them to 354 yards...that was after being put in awful spots.  Our offense had 5 turnovers, surrendered 7 sacks, and had a total yardage of 159!  If the offense had played the game we might have had something.

Also how about the Uconn game.  How about the fact the score was 20-7 in the middle of the third quarter, and could have been worse if not for the defense.  Uconn averaged almost 390ypg offense, and we held them to 350.  Why did we muster a whole 100 yards or so in the first two and a half quarters?  I always hate the argument that the 'defense let us down' when the offense refused to show-up and play, kept the defense backed against the wall the entire game, and they drive down and finally take a lead and suddenly the defense has to stop everything or they're a failure.  I contend if the offense, and special teams had been halfway decent in that game during the first 2.5 quarters it wouldn't have come down to the FG.

Anyway, I do get what you are saying about last year.  All five losses were not of the 'pretty' variety where any one side of the ball could truly claim any supremecy, and for that matter want to, and this is simply debating semantics because it's hard to pinpoint if any better effort would have helped.  Although this year our offense was bad when they went against good defenses, and at times was totally ineffective.  If they could have moved the ball a bit better and given the defense more opportunities to pin their ears back with the opposition's offenses backed inside their 25...the results may have been different, or at least I would have liked to see us play those games.

Archived