Leavitt files Lawsuit

redfisher78

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

This took a little longer than I expected to happen.  My prediction is USF will be out 2 to 3 million, and retract some of their language regarding Leavitt's dismissal.  After all, this whole thing--regardless of if it actually happened or not--was a smoke screen to get rid of Leavitt, and it really WAS grossly mishandled by USF.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

Here is what the report said Benny Perez said:

When asked what he recalled from the November 21st game against Louisville, he

said that he remembers “the same typical stuff†during that halftime – nothing unusual. He

indicated that “Coach does his thing and tries to motivate the playersâ€. He indicated that it is

normal for Coach Leavitt to go around the locker room during halftime and address individual

players. He did recall Leavitt grabbing someone by the collar or jersey during this particular

halftime, but he couldn’t recall who the player was (by name). He told the reviewers that he

recalled a “typical interaction with all of the players†and he stated that “it is just the passion of

the Coachâ€.

This was Coach Leavitt's response in the story:

Leavitt said that he “didn’t know Student Athlete A had had a bad first

halfâ€. He said that he did not remember Student Athlete A’s penalty or his part in allowing the

returned punt. Instead, Leavitt said that he noticed a number of Student Athletes, including but

not only Student Athlete A, were “down.†Leavitt said that this was unusual for Student Athlete

A. Leavitt called out to Student Athlete A, asking him what was wrong and why he was down,

but Student Athlete A did not respond. Leavitt then said he got down on both knees so that he

could make eye contact with Student Athlete A, but Student Athlete A still did not respond.

Continuing his attempt to reach Student Athlete A, Leavitt says he shook Student Athlete A’s

knees, all the time asking “what’s wrong [student Athlete A], what’s wrong?â€

Finally, Student Athlete A said “I’m not playing very well.†Leavitt then grabbed

Student Athlete A’s shoulder pads, telling him he would do better and that he was “okay.â€

Leavitt said that he did not grab his neck and there was “no way†that his hand could have

slipped or that he could have touched Student Athlete A’s face. Leavitt said he also spoke to

Student Athlete U, who also appeared to be dejected. Leavitt says he asked that Student Athlete

what was wrong. Leavitt said that he was also down on his knees in front of Student Athlete U,

touching the student’s knees but never grabbed this student’s shoulder pads because he was

looking at Leavitt when they were speaking. Student Athlete U told him that he was upset about

his position coach having pulled him from the game because of his performance. Leavitt told

Student Athlete U that he would play in the second half.

Those stories don't really sound the same. In one the coach is just being passionate. In the other, it sounds like some tear jerker daytime soap opera.

• Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

Here is what the report said Benny Perez said:

When asked what he recalled from the November 21st game against Louisville, he

said that he remembers “the same typical stuff†during that halftime – nothing unusual. He

indicated that “Coach does his thing and tries to motivate the playersâ€. He indicated that it is

normal for Coach Leavitt to go around the locker room during halftime and address individual

players. He did recall Leavitt grabbing someone by the collar or jersey during this particular

halftime, but he couldn’t recall who the player was (by name). He told the reviewers that he

recalled a “typical interaction with all of the players†and he stated that “it is just the passion of

the Coachâ€.

This was Coach Leavitt's response in the story:

Leavitt said that he “didn’t know Student Athlete A had had a bad first

halfâ€. He said that he did not remember Student Athlete A’s penalty or his part in allowing the

returned punt. Instead, Leavitt said that he noticed a number of Student Athletes, including but

not only Student Athlete A, were “down.†Leavitt said that this was unusual for Student Athlete

A. Leavitt called out to Student Athlete A, asking him what was wrong and why he was down,

but Student Athlete A did not respond. Leavitt then said he got down on both knees so that he

could make eye contact with Student Athlete A, but Student Athlete A still did not respond.

Continuing his attempt to reach Student Athlete A, Leavitt says he shook Student Athlete A’s

knees, all the time asking “what’s wrong [student Athlete A], what’s wrong?â€

Finally, Student Athlete A said “I’m not playing very well.†Leavitt then grabbed

Student Athlete A’s shoulder pads, telling him he would do better and that he was “okay.â€

Leavitt said that he did not grab his neck and there was “no way†that his hand could have

slipped or that he could have touched Student Athlete A’s face. Leavitt said he also spoke to

Student Athlete U, who also appeared to be dejected. Leavitt says he asked that Student Athlete

what was wrong. Leavitt said that he was also down on his knees in front of Student Athlete U,

touching the student’s knees but never grabbed this student’s shoulder pads because he was

looking at Leavitt when they were speaking. Student Athlete U told him that he was upset about

his position coach having pulled him from the game because of his performance. Leavitt told

Student Athlete U that he would play in the second half.

Those stories don't really sound the same. In one the coach is just being passionate. In the other, it sounds like some tear jerker daytime soap opera.

They sound exactly the same to me... ;D

I still wonder if leavitt has any clue what happened...after the headbutt

• Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

I do not like that the USF Foundation is part of his lawsuit.  That is the organization that handles donations for USF.  I would hate to see my donations or anyone's donations, no matter how big or small, used to pay off lawsuits and/or ex-coaches.

Now maybe he had to sue the USF Foundation because that is who paid his salary, but it still bothers me.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

usf should immediately call leavitt's bluff and set his deposition

force him to lie under oath or dismiss case

Oh, and have the Police officer lie as well.   That is brilliant strategy.   Only ask questions you know the answer to, and USF has a lot of questions they only have the partial story to.  My prediction is USF settles.

no shame in settling as long as it is fair from usf's perspective

if everything usf has said in past is true i would be surprised if they offered more than nusiance value to settle

but if there are additional facts we dont have all bets are off

leavitt will probably never be a head coach again

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,149
  • Days Won:  109

This took a little longer than I expected to happen.  My prediction is USF will be out 2 to 3 million, and retract some of their language regarding Leavitt's dismissal.  After all, this whole thing--regardless of if it actually happened or not--was a smoke screen to get rid of Leavitt, and it really WAS grossly mishandled by USF.

And you know this how?  My source is probably better than yours and they did not WANT to fire him.  I will PM you if you want to know the position of that person.  But I've learned the hard way not to say too much on this Board.

Also, for those concerned about the money, insurance will cover this.

• Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Jim, let it go.

If you do, in a few years you'll be remembered as the guy who put USF on the map. No one will care why you were replaced.

If you don't, you'll be remembered as the guy with sour grapes. People will forget all the good you did for the school.

• Content Count:  8,177
  • Days Won:  6

and why is he suing usf AND the usf foundation

The foundation pays part of the coach's salary.  There are limits to how much someone at a public university can be paid.  They get around that by setting up a foundation.

ahhh i see, thanks

i dont think so.... i think woolard and co was prepared to let him coach out his deal, at least...

And you know this how?  My source is probably better than yours and they did not WANT to fire him.  I will PM you if you want to know the position of that person.  But I've learned the hard way not to say too much on this Board.

Also, for those concerned about the money, insurance will cover this.

yeah i agree with you... clearly wasn't a smoke screen...

the people who believe that absolutely nothing happened and this was all a scheme by genshaft and woolard are delirious.

Archived