Band at Basketball Games

Costa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

It's odd, the band used to be made up of people who wanted to be there, and the biggest benefit was being able to travel at the end of the season to the conference tourneys. It seemed like about year 3 of the Robinson/Visnage era, it changed. People that wanted to be there, couldnt be a part of the band. Hopefully it will go back to the way it used to be...

What do you mean about the "people that want to be there"?

As far as I know, they make a sign up sheet for the people in the marching band to do the Bball band. 

I think they only accept 100 names. 

The problem is there used to be(again, during the time when the womens team ruled, like 3 years ago) where the band members HAD to be at at least 20 games or they could NOT go on any trips. 

This is not the same anymore...it seams as if there are no rules in place to keep the members honest and GO to the games.

I was SURPRISED to see only 1 tuba and a couple low brass for the WVU basketball game earlier this year.  Then i found out that that was the first day of the semester for the USF Concert Band(USF's campus wind band that most of the HOT members join for the spring semester). 

My question was...Why didn't the HOT director coordinate something with the BBall members that were in the band and say..."Hey, we really need you at the Bball game tonight, since we won't have any low brass/whatever tonight for our game against a ranked opponent".

If you ask me it all falls on the directors lap.

There are some inconsistencies with the rules right now...and there are loop holes where kids are starting to become lazy and not fulfill their bball band obligations. 

Plus...there might be some negative thoughts toward the cabana.  I know that if i were still in the band...i'd want my buddies from the school of music or wherever sitting in the same section next to me so we can talk during the game. 

These are STUDENTS in the band...we are putting them on an oasis and they don't really feel involved anymore.  No more "brick" sign...no more heckling(i know that went away post CUSA), no more leadership within of any kind! 

GO BULLS!!!

In the band, before the David-era, there was no sign up sheet. There were no try-outs. People who wanted to be in the band, showed up. People who showed up to the most games, men's and women's, went on the trips. We looked forward to going to the games because it was another excuse to hang out with your friends. We didn't go for the paycheck. We weren't there, solely for the trip at the end of the year. It gave us another reason to hang out on a Tuesday night, or Sunday afternoon. For the women's games, it wasn't even competitive, just look at the record my first year, the 2000-01 season; 4-23. Yikes. It was horrible. There was one game where there were literally more band/cheerleaders/sundolls than there were fans. There were only 56 people in the stands.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,726

It's odd, the band used to be made up of people who wanted to be there, and the biggest benefit was being able to travel at the end of the season to the conference tourneys. It seemed like about year 3 of the Robinson/Visnage era, it changed. People that wanted to be there, couldnt be a part of the band. Hopefully it will go back to the way it used to be...

As far as I know, they make a sign up sheet for the people in the marching band to do the Bball band. 

The problem is there used to be(again, during the time when the womens team ruled, like 3 years ago) where the band members HAD to be at at least 20 games or they could NOT go on any trips. 

This is not the same anymore...it seams as if there are no rules in place to keep the members honest and GO to the games.

I was SURPRISED to see only 1 tuba and a couple low brass for the WVU basketball game earlier this year.  Then i found out that that was the first day of the semester for the USF Concert Band(USF's campus wind band that most of the HOT members join for the spring semester). 

My question was...Why didn't the HOT director coordinate something with the BBall members that were in the band and say..."Hey, we really need you at the Bball game tonight, since we won't have any low brass/whatever tonight for our game against a ranked opponent".

There are some inconsistencies with the rules right now...and there are loop holes where kids are starting to become lazy and not fulfill their bball band obligations. 

Plus...there might be some negative thoughts toward the cabana.  I know that if i were still in the band...i'd want my buddies from the school of music or wherever sitting in the same section next to me so we can talk during the game. 

These are STUDENTS in the band...we are putting them on an oasis and they don't really feel involved anymore.  No more "brick" sign...no more heckling(i know that went away post CUSA), no more leadership within of any kind! 

GO BULLS!!!

In the band, before the David-era, there was no sign up sheet. There were no try-outs. People who wanted to be in the band, showed up. People who showed up to the most games, men's and women's, went on the trips. We looked forward to going to the games because it was another excuse to hang out with your friends. We didn't go for the paycheck. We weren't there, solely for the trip at the end of the year. It gave us another reason to hang out on a Tuesday night, or Sunday afternoon. For the women's games, it wasn't even competitive, just look at the record my first year, the 2000-01 season; 4-23. Yikes. It was horrible. There was one game where there were literally more band/cheerleaders/sundolls than there were fans. There were only 56 people in the stands.

Understandable...well...times change man.  Now you have kids with a different viewfinder. 

Supposedly during my "era"(again, this is your word)...2002-2004(the womens team was just as bad, still went to games).  People just signed up for the band who "wanted to be there" and went to the games.  Plus...there weren't many trips to go on, period...with the exception of the 2003 CUSA tourney, i can't think of another trip I went on.  We were there cause it was a cool hang.  Don't give me all this "10 miles in the snow" talk from the "days of old" crap.  lol

Why do we have to get into a little debate here dan? 

Just looking for ways to argue, huh?

I'm just saying that the times have changed.  Just a tad.  And don't get me wrong, i did not go to the games for a paycheck, though it was cool to have.  Its fun to play in the basketball band.  The echo throughout the sundome is just nuts.  lol

There have been a handful of directors since our time in the band dan.  I understand what you are trying to argue, but again times/policies have changed.  They also don't allow electric guitars, basses, and synthesizers in the band anymore.  And there's also no heckling allowed...which is something you LOVED to do.  And(pardon me if im wrong) didn't you stop doing the band because you COULDN'T heckle?

Lastly...where did you sit when you weren't in the band and just wanted to take in the game as a spectator? 

Let me guess...in the section next to the band! 

Why?  Oh, thats right, cause alot of your friends were still in the band, and you could converse with them as you pleased.

Sorry man, just trying to point out some reasons why I think the band is coming off a bit lackluster this year.

And again...I wish I could be there to do something about it.  But there is a way we could all help out and give our two cents, as caring alumni.   Just E-mail the director!  From what I've seen, he's a nice guy and would gladly accept emails from concerned alumni about the way he's been running the program. 

Changing directors HURTS the band program.  And USF has gone through it twice in the last TWO years.  He'll right the ship...it'll take some time.  Remember that whole change of coach thing and how we lost some recruits?  Well, some band members do the same thing. 

It'll pick up.

GO BULLS!!!

GO BULLS!!!

Understandable...well...times change man.  Now you have kids with a different viewfinder. 

Supposedly during my "era"(again, this is your word)...2002-2004(the womens team was just as bad, still went to games).  People just signed up for the band who "wanted to be there" and went to the games.  Plus...there weren't many trips to go on, period...with the exception of the 2003 CUSA tourney, i can't think of another trip I went on.  We were there cause it was a cool hang.  Don't give me all this "10 miles in the snow" talk from the "days of old" crap.  lol

I'm just saying that the times have changed.  Just a tad.  And don't get me wrong, i did not go to the games for a paycheck, though it was cool to have.  Its fun to play in the basketball band.  The echo throughout the sundome is just nuts.  lol

There have been a handful of directors since our time in the band dan.  I understand what you are trying to argue, but again times/policies have changed.  They also don't allow electric guitars, basses, and synthesizers in the band anymore.  And there's also no heckling allowed...which is something you LOVED to do.  And(pardon me if im wrong) didn't you stop doing the band because you COULDN'T heckle?

Lastly...where did you sit when you weren't in the band and just wanted to take in the game as a spectator? 

Why?  Oh, thats right, cause alot of your friends were still in the band, and you could converse with them as you pleased.

Sorry man, just trying to point out some reasons why I think the band is coming off a bit lackluster this year.

And again...I wish I could be there to do something about it.  But there is a way we could all help out and give our two cents, as caring alumni.   Just E-mail the director!  From what I've seen, he's a nice guy and would gladly accept emails from concerned alumni about the way he's been running the program. 

Changing directors HURTS the band program.  And USF has gone through it twice in the last TWO years.  He'll right the ship...it'll take some time.  Remember that whole change of coach thing and how we lost some recruits?  Well, some band members do the same thing. 

It'll pick up.

GO BULLS!!!

It's not a debate. I made a statement, you asked a question and I answered. Then you ask me numerous questions and debate my opinion.

We also had many trips before you were in the band; two per year.

And I went to every game when I was in the band so I didn't go to hang out. When I wasn't in the band, honestly, I didn't go to the games. I moved back to Wesley Chapel and worked until 6. No desire after a 10 hour work day to hustle home, shower and make the 1/2 hour drive back to town.

It looks poopy when you make assumptions about people and are completely wrong. You really shouldn't do it anymore.

GO BULLS!!!

It'll pick up.

GO BULLS!!!

It's not a debate. I made a statement, you asked a question and I answered. Then you ask me numerous questions and debate my opinion.

We also had many trips before you were in the band; two per year.

And I went to every game when I was in the band so I didn't go to hang out. When I wasn't in the band, honestly, I didn't go to the games. I moved back to Wesley Chapel and worked until 6. No desire after a 10 hour work day to hustle home, shower and make the 1/2 hour drive back to town.

It looks poopy when you make assumptions about people and are completely wrong. You really shouldn't do it anymore.

Its a public forum.  We can say what we want. 

Please don't use the word "poopy".  ;)  Thanks!

lol

I know its a long thread...but you kind of just contradicted yourself dan.

We looked forward to going to the games because it was another excuse to hang out with your friends.

Then you say this...

And I went to every game when I was in the band so I didn't go to hang out

Hmm...

GO BULLS!!!

Can someone explain to me why our band looks pathetic at basketball games? I would say theres about 20 people, with 1 tuba player. I remember last year the band was much larger. They sound like **** because there are so few of them.

A 20 piece pep band is pretty weak and you really should have almost twice that number.  A good pep band is much, much more effective in getting the crowd into the game because cheerleaders are chosen to look pretty and not actually lead cheers.

Dude...get outta here with your Mizzou propaganda. ;) lol

Why doesn't your band play more up beat tunes like ours does? 

Hey baby?!?!  Really?!?! 

How bout some "Shake your tailfeather"?!?!?!

That song has hoops band written all over it.  HOT plays it all the time! 

They also play this one a little too much, but it's catchy.  ;)

Oh well...

GO BULLS!!!

A little mis-typing goes a long way when someone is always looking to argue. Here is what I meant:

It was hard to go to any games to hang out and sit with my friends, when I was a member of the band and was with the band. As much as I would have liked to wear the uni and take a half off to eat Dippin' Dots, I couldn't. That whole "tuba" thing impeded that kind of shenanigans. Was I there hanging out with friends in the band? Yes. Was I there hanging out with PMA guys outside of the band? Not so much.

If you want to nit-pick everything I say, please do. I wouldn't mind making poopy on your face, over and over. Really, all it would take is for everyone who uses the Courtside Cabana to continue to talk about the perks of it, and we could continue to watch you cry like a little girl who just made poopy in her pants.

Yo...Meaty, Big and Bouncy!

Oh, my gawd...Were you a band geek??

I hold the reocrd for the most years in the University of Missouri Band, "Marching Mizzou" and played many a basketball game as a member of "Mini-Mizzou and "Femini-Mizzou."  Femini Mizzou started out as an all girl band for women's basketball games, but they had a hard time getting enough tuba players so they called me.  Then they couldn't get a drummer, enough low brass, etc, so they finally went co-ed.

No geek here, Oldie but a Goodie.

I used to throw some silly parties.....150-200 people, 4-5 kegs, live DJ, strippers wrestling in applesauce (or jello, or whatever substance we could buy a lot of) in an inflatable pool, a VIP area across the street. We even painted a crosswalk in the road to make it to and from the VIP room safely. I once even had one of the TTPD officers who came to break up the party give me his card and ask me to phone him when I had the next one, cause if he was off-duty he wanted to come. I was in the band, but not so much on the geek factor.

Yo...Meaty, Big and Bouncy!

Oh, my gawd...Were you a band geek??

I hold the reocrd for the most years in the University of Missouri Band, "Marching Mizzou" and played many a basketball game as a member of "Mini-Mizzou and "Femini-Mizzou."  Femini Mizzou started out as an all girl band for women's basketball games, but they had a hard time getting enough tuba players so they called me.  Then they couldn't get a drummer, enough low brass, etc, so they finally went co-ed.

No geek here, Oldie but a Goodie.

I used to throw some silly parties.....150-200 people, 4-5 kegs, live DJ, strippers wrestling in applesauce (or jello, or whatever substance we could buy a lot of) in an inflatable pool, a VIP area across the street. We even painted a crosswalk in the road to make it to and from the VIP room safely. I once even had one of the TTPD officers who came to break up the party give me his card and ask me to phone him when I had the next one, cause if he was off-duty he wanted to come. I was in the band, but not so much on the geek factor.

Only 150-200?  You guys are small time.

Were we?

Not bad for a small house in Temple Terrace. Cars were parked over a 1/2 mile away at the elementary school....I know back in your day you would just tie up the horse, or everyone would pile into the buggy Oregon Trail style...

And you guys floated down the river, bass boy.

Visiting bands from Cal, Notre Dame, Kansas, Texas, Southern Mississippi, etc., etc., were in awe of our "ice cream socials."

Did they?

And I graduated from high school this century. We didn't have to forge rivers, we use these relatively new (to you) things called "bridges."

sunshineskyway_bridge_1.jpg

Leave him alone Mizzou...

He'll just poopy on you over and over again.

lol

GO BULLS!!!

Archived