fans are a joke

Guest brian

Guest USF Student

Well, I grew up a Florida State fan.  Like many others here at this school, they grew up supporting other teams besides USF.  You are asking us to throw away all that tradition.  Just because we attend USF, does not mean we have to throw away our past 18, 19, and 20 years and give USF 100%.  Many of us attended USF because we wanted to be closer to home, USF offered our programs, and etc...  I don't see how attending USF should stop my support and other student's support for other schools.  Even with the Big East expansion, it seems as if we are still in a weak conference and there has been lack-luster support for the Big East by students.  We have no connection with those teams so why watch a boring game at RayJay between two boring teams when you can watch an exciting game on TV or actually in person at FSU, UF, or Miami?  My parents give thousands to the Seminoles Boosters every year because they love FSU.  That does not mean they still don't support USF since they also give to USF as well.  I can support who ever I want, some of you are really out there when it come to the belief that we are on the same level as a FSU when it comes to athletics.  If we would get into the ACC or SEC, then things might change.

Go Bulls, Go Noles  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apis Bull

• The_Reaper

• BULLheaded

• TexanMark

Guest wildrover

Its almost as if they want the tradition to already be there, they don't seem to understand that at this point in our colleg football history (and our university for that matter, 1956 is still pretty young compared to the other big university names in the state) that if there is ever going to be a tradition at USF then they have to be the ones to help build it, now, it won't just be handed to them, I wonder if this is another case of that generations entitlement mentality taking root.  

Guest USF Student
Its almost as if they want the tradition to already be there, they don't seem to understand that at this point in our colleg football history (and our university for that matter, 1956 is still pretty young compared to the other big university names in the state) that if there is ever going to be a tradition at USF then they have to be the ones to help build it, now, it won't just be handed to them, I wonder if this is another case of that generations entitlement mentality taking root.

That is a great point.  Maybe if things were not rushed and if we built a tradition, there would be more school spirit.  The problem comes when individuals try to force school spirit and force you to believe that you should only support USF.  You can't force it, I understand that we are new to the game, but it is going to take a lot of time for things to change around campus.  It seems as if things are rushed without even thinking.  

Go Bulls, Go Noles

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Student:

Let me tell you i GRADUATED from USF in 1982 we DID NOT have a football team and until my last year played basketball outside of campus (no SunDome). I gre up in Miami and was a die hard UM fan had season tickets to UM,went to games in Gainesville and Tallahassee while attending USF to support the Canes. Traveled to the Fiesta Bowl,Sugar Bowl twice and Orange Bowls that UM played. BUT once USF got football i bought USF season tickets and while i still like the Canes,not once have i missed a USF game to see UM.

So please dont tell me about 20 years of who you grew up rooting for, You are ATTENDING USF, hopefully get a DEGREE from USF, and when you go looking for a job youll be a USF grad. So its time to start putting USF first over UM,UF or FSU which really DO NOT represent you.

Guest wildrover
 Just because we attend USF, does not mean we have to throw away our past 18, 19, and 20 years and give USF 100%.

why not?  serisouly, I don't understand that, you're right you can support whoever you want, you have that right.  But if USF, is the school you go to and are affiliated with then why not support them 100%.  No one says you have to stop rooting for the noles or whoever, I still root for whoever is playing ND every week.  Growing up I watched the Noles Gators games every year and it was an event every year for me too, but when I started going to USF, it all changed, I am a Bull, i'm not a Nole, I'm not a Gator I'm not anything except a Bull and when it comes to who I support the Bulls will Trump every other school every time IMO.  My Gator friends don't understand, they look down at USF, they went to a school that already had tradition, they did nothing to enhance it.  I will, someday hopefully, be able to look back and say I was there when nobody else was, when Ray Jay or whereever they are playing becomes sold out I will be able to say I helped build that.  I will have more pride in my school and the tradition that hopefully will evolve over time than they ever will.  I want to see what the Gator and Nole Fans do they next time they have a 4-7 season.  

I'm not trying to be high horse here but your attitude really sounds like that of a spoiled brat, "I'll become apart of the tradition when the tradition gets here"  well if every student on this campus has that attitude then it will never get here.  The fact your posting as a guest and you found your way to this board makes me a little suspicious though what kind of half-hearted fan makes their way to a message board, they are usually reserved for the die-hards.  If you really are a usf student and your spending time on this board then there must be something bull about you, why the apathy toward you school?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I grew up a Gator fan.  I was 28 when I started at USF.  I supported USF athletics (no football at the time) as soon as I set my foot on campus for my first class.  Then I still rooted for the Gators in football, but as soon as USF football took the field, they became number 1 to me.  USF student, you do what you want, and we can't tell you how to feel, but to me it's a shame that you can't fully support your university.  When you hang your diploma on your office wall, it will read, "University of South Florida".

Guest USF Student

I attended all but the Memphis and Pitt games this season for football.  I attended almost half of the home basketball games last season and all but one football game last season.  I am not putting this school down, but all I was trying to say is that for many students, USF comes second because we are not winning and we play in a weak conference be it either C-USA or the Big East.  If USF were in the ACC or SEC, then things would be different.  If some of the football players were not punks around campus, then things would change.  I like many see no more excitment in playing the likes of Rutgers or UConn then playing Memphis or Southern Miss, actually the Memphis or Southern Miss games seem to have a better connection than those northern schools.  I understand that we are building a tradition, but I did not decide to attend USF based on its athletics like many other students, but I decided to attend USF to obtain a good education.  I support the Bulls, but I cannot help it, I still will be a FSU fan.  It is in my blood, I am sorry that I can't please you guys, but that is my take on it.  

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  828
  • Days Won:  0

Student!

Wake up! We are closer to the level of the big 3 than you think! It is that mentality in this city that is not allowing us to be even with them. Go to FSU if you really feel this way!

100% Bulls or not at all!!!!!

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  309
  • Days Won:  0

I attended all but the Memphis and Pitt games this season for football.  I attended almost half of the home basketball games last season and all but one football game last season.  I am not putting this school down, but all I was trying to say is that for many students, USF comes second because we are not winning and we play in a weak conference be it either C-USA or the Big East.  If USF were in the ACC or SEC, then things would be different.  If some of the football players were not punks around campus, then things would change.  I like many see no more excitment in playing the likes of Rutgers or UConn then playing Memphis or Southern Miss, actually the Memphis or Southern Miss games seem to have a better connection than those northern schools.  I understand that we are building a tradition, but I did not decide to attend USF based on its athletics like many other students, but I decided to attend USF to obtain a good education.  I support the Bulls, but I cannot help it, I still will be a FSU fan.  It is in my blood, I am sorry that I can't please you guys, but that is my take on it.  

You are coming off as a brat who wishes he went to FSU.  Time to support your school.  If you can't get excited about Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU then maybe you should change your diploma when you graduate to read:  "Graduated May 2006 from USF with a BA in Child Studies but I really wish I went to FSU instead because they play better opponents on TV because ESPN says so"  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Every school has players that are "punks around campus".  No one's saying you can't be an FSU fan, it's just our feeling (I believe I speak for most of us) that USF  should come first.