Miller family retains Barry Cohen

redfisher78

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,316
  • Days Won:  490

Miller now going back to being hit, hence we have Cohen.  Looks like Millers are going to try to cash in.

Player was trying to protect Leavitt

By JOSE PATINO GIRONA jpatino@tampatrib.com

The Tampa Tribune

University of South Florida sophomore football player Joel Miller denied to investigators that coach Jim Leavitt slapped him because he didn't want the coach to lose his job, his attorney said Sunday.

"He (Leavitt) hit him," said Tampa lawyer Barry Cohen, hired by Miller's family over the weekend. "He was trying to protect this coach earlier, and he didn't tell what actually happened."

An independent investigator hired by the university found that Leavitt grabbed Miller by the throat and slapped him during halftime of the Nov. 21 game against the University of Louisville. The report's conclusions were based on eyewitness accounts from two of Miller's teammates.

"A lot of information is going around and we just decided to get an attorney," said Paul Miller, the player's father.

The university fired Leavitt on Friday.

Paul Miller wouldn't comment further on the hiring of Cohen, and Joel Miller couldn't be reached for comment.

"The truth is that he (Leavitt) did hit him and the witnesses saw it," Cohen said. "He (Joel Miller) didn't want the ripple effect if the coach got fired."

Leavitt repeatedly has denied striking Miller.

Although Miller's friends said in news reports that Miller told them he was struck by Leavitt, the player denied it in an interview with ESPN and to school investigators.

"He (Joel Miller) didn't do anything wrong," Cohen said. "He was a victim of this thing. He tried to protect his coach. He was disappointed the coach didn't tell the truth."

Cohen met with the family for several hours on Saturday.

"The coach was responsible for it going this far," Cohen said. "He should have admitted what he did."

Once the story broke last month, Joel Miller said Leavitt only grabbed his shoulder pads.

"Me and Coach Leavitt are fine," Miller said in the ESPN interview. "People can say different things, but he only grabbed my shoulder pads to motivate me because he's a passionate guy. He never apologized because he had nothing to apologize for."

Cohen wouldn't discuss the possibility of a civil lawsuit.

"I'm going to go where the evidence takes me," Cohen said. "The boy is a great kid. He's very upset over the situation."

USF spokesman Michael Hoad said he thought it was a good thing Miller retained someone to give him advice.

"I don't see any problem with him getting somebody to give him counsel," Hoad said.

Link

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Miller now going back to being hit, hence we have Cohen.  Looks like Millers are going to try to cash in.

Player was trying to protect Leavitt

By JOSE PATINO GIRONA jpatino@tampatrib.com

The Tampa Tribune

University of South Florida sophomore football player Joel Miller denied to investigators that coach Jim Leavitt slapped him because he didn't want the coach to lose his job, his attorney said Sunday.

"He (Leavitt) hit him," said Tampa lawyer Barry Cohen, hired by Miller's family over the weekend. "He was trying to protect this coach earlier, and he didn't tell what actually happened."

An independent investigator hired by the university found that Leavitt grabbed Miller by the throat and slapped him during halftime of the Nov. 21 game against the University of Louisville. The report's conclusions were based on eyewitness accounts from two of Miller's teammates.

"A lot of information is going around and we just decided to get an attorney," said Paul Miller, the player's father.

The university fired Leavitt on Friday.

Paul Miller wouldn't comment further on the hiring of Cohen, and Joel Miller couldn't be reached for comment.

"The truth is that he (Leavitt) did hit him and the witnesses saw it," Cohen said. "He (Joel Miller) didn't want the ripple effect if the coach got fired."

Leavitt repeatedly has denied striking Miller.

Although Miller's friends said in news reports that Miller told them he was struck by Leavitt, the player denied it in an interview with ESPN and to school investigators.

"He (Joel Miller) didn't do anything wrong," Cohen said. "He was a victim of this thing. He tried to protect his coach. He was disappointed the coach didn't tell the truth."

Cohen met with the family for several hours on Saturday.

"The coach was responsible for it going this far," Cohen said. "He should have admitted what he did."

Once the story broke last month, Joel Miller said Leavitt only grabbed his shoulder pads.

"Me and Coach Leavitt are fine," Miller said in the ESPN interview. "People can say different things, but he only grabbed my shoulder pads to motivate me because he's a passionate guy. He never apologized because he had nothing to apologize for."

Cohen wouldn't discuss the possibility of a civil lawsuit.

"I'm going to go where the evidence takes me," Cohen said. "The boy is a great kid. He's very upset over the situation."

USF spokesman Michael Hoad said he thought it was a good thing Miller retained someone to give him advice.

"I don't see any problem with him getting somebody to give him counsel," Hoad said.

Link

It was obvious that's why he changed his story and damning that the witnesses did not.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Of all the attorneys that the Miller family could have hired, they hired Cohen. This guy is going to do whatever it takes to get his pay day.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,265
  • Days Won:  29

After Leavitt ?

They're going after AOL/FanHOUSE ! They brought his name out.

I just watched Frost/Nixon. the original, not the movie. Leavitt reminds me of Nixon, who never admitted he did wrong and danced around what he did. Everything Nixon said, Frost brought out tape transcripts showing it a lie. Everything Leavitt said about his demeanor, position in front of Miller and his physical interaction with him was contradicted by more then one witness. For Nixon, just like Leavitt, they both said it was the intent, that was key. Nixon had no criminal intent, he was trying to be humane and pay the burglars for their lawyers and problems. Leavitt didn't strike or grab Miller's throat angrily, he shock his shoulder pads and tried to inspire morale in an upbeat manner. One has tapes of conversations and testimony proving they are lying, the other has several witnesses. Both lost their jobs. One could never go back to being a politician. The other most likely will never have a job coaching students. Both after the case adamantly deny wrongdoing.

How are you sure Joel didn't concoct the lies to protect Leavitt on his own?  Leavitt had no leverage over Miller if what was alleged to have happened did.  Joel could have extorted millions from Leavitt, not vice versa.  I can see the kid wanting to change his story to try and stop the locomotive that had already left the station.  Remember, he didn't leak the story - HIS FRIENDS DID.  And then he had to react.

How are you sure Joel didn't concoct the lies to protect Leavitt on his own?  Leavitt had no leverage over Miller if what was alleged to have happened did.  Joel could have extorted millions from Leavitt, not vice versa.  I can see the kid wanting to change his story to try and stop the locomotive that had already left the station.  Remember, he didn't leak the story - HIS FRIENDS DID.  And then he had to react.

I agree. I am sure the event happened. Miller told a couple of friends after, and a few others saw it. He told his dad. Once his dad went to the press because he was P.O.'d (I would have went to the administration), Miller started denying it, because he knew it would blow up, it did. He changed his story and convinced his dad to go along with his new story. Probably before he changed his story, he tried to straighten it out with Leavitt who stone walled him. He still stuck with his denial, but the witnesses didn't, they still said it happened. Leavitt denying it all along. That is what has changed my mind about Leavitt. His demeanor and getting on his knees is not supported by anyone and he is sticking by it. He was in contact with the witnesses after, again, that looks real bad. If he can lie about this, who knows what he is capable of doing, he has cast doubt on his truthfulness.

Somewhat strange that of all the press outlets he could have chosen to go to he happened to pick Brett McMurphy, the same "press" that 5 "independent" anonymous witnesses chose to go?  That is, if you believe the conversation Brett and Duemig had.  What are the odds 6 individuals would all choose Brett McMurphy, a guy not even associated to USF or Tampa Bay Sports?  Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

I'm not so sure Miller found McMurphy, I think it was the other way around.

slick, all I am saying to you is that while Frost/Nixon gives some great imagery for the imagination, we really should stick to facts and the situation here.  I think you want to see Leavitt in a particular light regardless of what the true story might be.

Why did Joel Miller lie completely on his own?  Leavitt did not induce him to lie.  Why did he?

We have a story riddled with inconsistencies, lies and contradictions.  The first lies cast in this drama were from Joel Miller.  With Leavitt now gone and his career damaged beyond repair, I think we can drop all the "probablys" and hunches.

When reading the report, did you find where the investigators asked if anyone saw Leavitt on his knees?  What were the responses?

Unfortunately for anyone whose alma mater is the University of South Florida, this sad situation will likely have to play out in courts.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,265
  • Days Won:  29

Trying to remember back to McM interview with Duimig, seemed he went to the Millers to confirm the story. Spoke with the father, not Joel.

Don't think Joel ever spoke with McM.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Miller is saying through his attorney that Leavitt did strike him and that he lied to cover for him. Finally confirmation for all of those wondering that this did in fact happen.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/10/110628/usf-player-hires-cohen-attorney/sports-colleges-bulls/

Archived