Waters leaves team

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

Point Guard Of The Future' Leaves Bulls

Published: Dec 2, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida freshman Montavious Waters, called the Bulls' ``point guard of the future'' by Coach Robert McCullum, has no future at USF.

Waters left the team Nov. 24. McCullum officially announced Waters' departure Tuesday. Waters is the second player from USF's five-player recruiting class to quit in the past week. Junior-college transfer Maurice Mobley also left the team.

``There is no doubt in our mind that [Waters] is the point guard of the future for our program,'' McCullum said when Waters signed in April. ``Because of his size and his strength he will come in and compete immediately.''

McCullum said Waters, who only played six minutes in one game this season, was struggling with ``some personal things.'' Brett McMurphy

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBYDOU172E.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• The Sheriff

• BullDoug

• bigbull

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BasketBull.

How many left under Seth?

And how many left under Coach Mac? (Retorical!)

Seth: Raheim Brown, William "I like to dunk" Copeland, Haven Jackson, Anthony Widener, Marlon Dawson, Deon Green, Kelvin Brown, Greg Brittian... (?)

That's 8 that I can rememer.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,772
  • Days Won:  19

Greg Brittian didn't leave... he was declared ineligible to play after a little incidental extra help from one of our board members. Bullieve me... Brittian wanted to play here... He's a great kid that made a stupid mistake and would've had a monster senior year. Wish he would've come clean initially... maybe he would've got a second chance to get back on the court.

I'm sure Collin knows more than me on this one  ;D!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

Now that Montavius has left, it is now that much more important that Capko is able to play when he is eligible on the 11th.  Even though Cap does not look like he is the same type of agressive, slashy player that Watters was, he will still run the team as best as he can.

I do not want to hear anyone blame Coach Mac for this.  I heard him Monday night in his little pre-game speech to donors and it sounds like Montavius had problems off the court and I would like to wish him well.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Anyone know the real scoop? Peronal problems can be interpreted in different ways.....with labeling the reason so vaguely, we don't know if it's an issue that coach maybe should have had the forsight to see, maybe not. Guess we will know eventually. Either way, I am not liking the luck our team is having with these sort of things this year. Mosley's medical problems and Waters' personal issues really took away from a promising back court.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

my guess drugs!

too much talent to let anything else stop you from trying to make it work

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We are (well, were) deepest in the backcourt... so of any position to lose a player, that is the place that hurts the least.

i'm not gonna say it is drugs, because i have no idea... but this kid is supposedly very religious and a straight shooter, but anything is possible.

it may be bad luck, but it certainly isn't mac running people off, so on we go with our season.  Best of luck to Waters... hope he can fix whatever problems he has.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

there were some who thought  bringing in so many guards was not wise. seems mac was prepared for this unfortunate turn of events. hope everyone else stays healthy or we will be short of bodies soon.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

health is always a "cross-your-fingers" thing... who could have predicted Mosley would have to miss the season from cancer?

Bryant blowing out 2 knees in 2 years?  Brigman breaking his eye orbital?  etc etc...

hopefully Bryant's knees hold out as he is a HUGE boost to our defense, which is what we have to have to win games this year... our offense is good, but we have to play good defense or we are in trouble.  If we can't hold a team under 75 pts, we probably won't be winning without some MAJOR offensive performance on our part.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

In Coach Mac's post game interview Monday, he volunteered (was not asked directly) that he (Coach) was more worried for Waters as an 18 yr old young man than as an USF basketball player.  It seem odd how this portion of interview went.  Coach seemed to go out of his way to let it be known.  He kinda actually changed tthe topic of the interview at the time to mention this.  I said to myself while listening to the interview, it seemed a li'l strange for a coach to do that.