FAMU football shutting down?

Ricky the Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

No money to be spent in 2005.  Is this a move to get alumni to step up and contribute?

FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

FAMU Football has been financially shut down. Athletic Director Dr. Ramsey met with head coach Billy Joe on Monday and told him that the FAMU Football program will not be allowed to spend any money in 2005, nor will they be allowed to have a recruiting class for the upcoming season.

Coach Joe will also be forced to play in 2005 without a defensive coordinator. As of now, Billy Joe will coach FAMU for next season, but he will wait to make a final decision about his future at the school. Coach Joe's contract expires December 31st, 2006.

Quotes from Billy Joe:

"I have never heard of this in the annals of football history I’ve never seen or heard of this taking place, but the athletic director informs me that there is no money and that we have to shut down financially as far as the football team is concerned."

"It’s a big hit, and its going to set this program back a bit we don't know how much, hopefully not at all, but I can't see it not hurting the football program, but hopefully it won't ultimately lead to the demise of the program and the team"

"I had a meeting this morning with Dr. Ramsey and he indicated to me that he will not extend my contract and of course to further compound the problem he has shut down the football program from a financial standpoint we can no longer recruit and I cannot hire a defensive coordinator."  

More Stories

Noles to Gator Bowl?  FSU Football Looks to Jacksonville on New Year’s Day

FAMU Volleyball: Bracketbusters? Lowndes: One Win Away

VSU Scores 38 Unanswered to Advance FAMU Blown Out in Season Finale

TCC Basketball Moves to 5-1 Peter Boulware Out for Season

Georgia High School Football Playoffs in Full Swing  

http://www.wctv6.com/sports/headlines/1108652.html

Guest HowieP1

They aren't definitely shutting down the fotball program according to an article I posted earlier today:

TALLAHASSEE - Florida A&M said Monday it wouldn't extend the contract of coach Billy Joe beyond the 2005-06 season, leading him to predict the demise of the program at the economically strained school.  

But a school official insisted the program would continue, adding that only budget cuts were discussed at the Monday meeting where Joe learned of his future.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/30/Sports/FAMU_to_let_Joe_s_con.shtml

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

It should be noted that FAMU in general is in a financial crisis. This "freeze" may just be a by-product of the university-wide auditing process, as they try to clean up their books.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Posted on Tue, Nov. 30, 2004

Coach stays at FAMU, for now

School not extending Joe's contract, will cut budget for 2005

By Heath Smith

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Billy Joe said he plans to remain Florida A&M's head football coach despite FAMU athletic director Joseph Ramsey II's refusal to give him a contract extension.

Ramsey told Joe of the decision Monday during a meeting in which Ramsey also told Joe that cuts would be made to his recruiting budget and that he would have to delay the hiring of a defensive coordinator.

"He (Ramsey) has shut the program down from a financial standpoint," Joe said Monday afternoon. "There is no question it makes it extremely difficult to field a championship team. It could impact the program for the next three or four years. It's almost equivalent to the death penalty from the NCAA."

Ramsey said he is aware of how the decisions he has made could affect the future success of the football program, but he said they are necessary to get the athletic department from under its current financial problems, which include a $700,000 deficit.

"I have all the confidence in the world that we will get through this," Ramsey said. "I think it (the athletic department's financial problems) is something that could be cleared up next year.

"It is a matter of clearing up all the financial matters that we've been placed in. We are in a crisis situation and have to make drastic decisions about the budget."

Joe's contract runs until Dec.31, 2006, and he said he would like to stay at least through that contract, although he said he would listen to serious offers from other schools.

"Out of professional courtesy, I would listen to what they have to say, but at this particular time I'm a FAMUan," Joe said.

Ironically a potential suitor for Joe's services could be one of FAMU's 2005 opponents, Tennessee State, which recently fired James Reese as head coach.

"First and foremost I am a Rattler," Joe said. "I bleed Orange and Green. I have two years remaining on my contract and at this time, my decision is to remain a FAMUan."

FAMU administrators have mixed opinions on what these developments will have on the future of FAMU's football program, which up until this past season had been one of the most successful in Division I-AA.

The Rev. R.B. Holmes Jr., a member of the board of trustees' Executive Committee and the chairman of the Student Affairs Committee, under which the athletic department falls, said he was concerned that these decisions will handicap the athletic program.

"The board will have to progressively and aggressively approach this matter," Holmes said. "I'm at a state of concern. It will be on my list to hear from Dr. Ramsey.

"Billy Joe has been cordial and professional and the community owes him a great deal of respect. We can't allow him to run the program without resources."

Holmes added that Ramsey does not have the authority to make decisions that could significantly impact the athletic program without first bringing it before the board.

Trustee Barney Bishop said that the athletic department's current financial struggles are the result of decisions made by former interim athletic director J.R.E. Lee III and that Joe and the football program should not have to pay for those decisions.

"We need to see what we can do to get the necessary dollars to put a first-class football team on the playing field," Bishop said. "We have all been remiss in not raising the dollars to get the football team out of this situation.

"The coach should at least have the minimum staff. To not have that would cut him at the knees. It would be absolutely ludicrous to go into the season without a defensive coordinator. I don't think it's a cross that Billy Joe should have to bear."

While Joe, Ramsey, Holmes and Bishop see not having money to recruit and not being able to hire a defensive coordinator as a negative for the future for FAMU's football program, outgoing FAMU president Fred Gainous believes the impact won't be as harsh as projected.

"I don't believe that (it will have a major negative impact)," Gainous said. "It's been done at so many other institutions. I don't for one second believe all the gloom and doom being forecasted. The decision has been made.

"I never heard of a defensive coordinator being so essential in recruiting. The head coach is the primary recruiter and the offensive coordinator recruits as well."

Gainous added that while Joe can't get a defensive coordinator immediately there is a chance he could be able to hire one before the start of the 2005 season.

Joe said he plans to take this latest hit from the administration in stride and move forward with his plans to prepare the Rattlers for the 2005 season.

"Today (Monday) I gave two coaches $1,000 to go to an all-star game in Mississippi," Joe said. "We will recruit via the phone and mailings, but we are going to have to spend money out of our own pocket to go out of town. We are still looking at getting the best players we can."

Contact Heath A. Smith at (850) 599-2166 or hsmith@tallahassee.com.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

do they have any players we want

figures we have a game scheduled with them

Guest Bullsnfinsphan

We all know who has the fame at FAMU...No not the football team or the basketball team even though they went dancing last year...It's def their marching band!!!   ;D  If their band comes to Ray Jay next year I would love to see em...well first I would like to see the Bulls woop some on the Rattlers.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

was woolard providing some economic outpatient assistance with the sweet deal he made with famu?

do they now OWE us?

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

ftu/ou is next

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

and we all tough that UCF's football team was in trouble. hey all you knights you are not the worst football program in fla. FAMU is but if tyou don't want to become the worst better send some money to FAMU.