FAMU football in trouble

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

We better not schedule any more games with FAMU as their football team might not be around much longer:

College football

FAMU to let Joe's contract run out

By THOMAS SIMONETTI and Times wires

Published November 30, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TALLAHASSEE - Florida A&M said Monday it wouldn't extend the contract of coach Billy Joe beyond the 2005-06 season, leading him to predict the demise of the program at the economically strained school.

But a school official insisted the program would continue, adding that only budget cuts were discussed at the Monday meeting where Joe learned of his future.

"I've never heard of this in the annals of football history," Joe told WCTV-TV in Tallahassee. "I've never seen or heard of this take place ever. But the athletic director informs me that there is no money and we have to shut down financially as far as the football program is concerned."

"We haven't really cut anything at this point," sports information director Alvin Hollins said. He said those decisions could come as soon as next week.

The school finished 3-8 and lost the Florida Classic against rival Bethune-Cookman for the third straight season. The Rattlers were playing a vastly upgraded schedule after an aborted attempt to move into Division I-A.

Joe, a one-time NFL fullback, has led the Rattlers to an 86-46 record in 11 years.

Hollins said the school would release a statement today explaining why the coach's contract won't be extended.

After learning about his contract, Joe spoke to local reporters about the department's budget.

"To further exacerbate the situation, the program is shut down from a financial standpoint," Joe told WCTV. "We can no longer recruit and I cannot hire a defensive coordinator."

Hollins said there would be a defensive coordinator and recruiting. He added that ticket sales were down this year and in September, the athletic department had a 20 percent budget cut.

In February, the school ended its effort to attempt to move to I-A. It competed as a I-AA independent this season and will re-enter the I-AA Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference next season.

- TIMES WIRES

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/30/Sports/FAMU_to_let_Joe_s_con.shtml

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

This may get alum up as the Tulane situation.

I would really be suprised if they dropped football.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Wow!  That would suck.