From my prior post "when do we call for Heath's Head"

usfbullcpa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

And you mention longevity and say that Leavitt would have to perform at the same level as Bowden, Paterno et al.  Well, I concede Paternon, lifetime 75% win record or so, and even stronger in the early years of his career.  Bowden first ten years (WVU and FSU, and since 2000 with FSU has had about a 65% win ratio, Leavitt has 64% since we hit Div. 1 (ind. and BE).

So, not valid.  If you want to argue I am taking the 90's away from Bowden, I will say, that was his future, ours is yet to come.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

We do not play in the weakest conference in the BCS, riduculous sentiment like that is exactly the reason for so many of [glow=red,2,300] ya'lls unrealistic expectations.[/glow]  

What should be our expectation?  Winning 2-3 games in the BE ever year? Expecting a choke job in the BE? No, unrealistic expectations is looking for a NC. Unrealistic expectations is thinking that Jimmy could win a BE title. Unrealistic expectations is thinking for once that Jim wouldn't get out coach by Greg Schiano ever year. I guess our expectation is little too high.

• Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

Maybe these articles prove my point a little better.

http://georgiasports.blogspot.com/2008/03/longest-tenured-coaches-without-bcs-bid.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2538/longest-tenured-coaches-with-no-bcs-bowls

Notice what is happening....these guys are getting fired. One way or another, not in every case, but many of them are wearing out their welcome. Think about these names, Phil Fulmer, Mike Leach, Tommy Bowden, Chan Gailey, Houston Nutt, Al Groh, Guy Morris, Sly Croom, Karl Dorrell.

Everybody likes a new guy because it crates new excitement, hope. It is like how the 2nd string QB is always the most popular QB on a team. It is just human nature. As the program grows, people expect more. I am not saying we should get rid of Leavitt but after a while it is human nature to wonder "what can that guy do"?

It is why men have a hard time staying faithful to their wives....did I say that? :pimp

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

Bringing in a new guy also keeps the AD's job safe a couple more years.  Another bad reason to do so, but it's one reason ADs and GMs switch em out. 

• Content Count:  12,293

We do not play in the weakest conference in the BCS, riduculous sentiment like that is exactly the reason for so many of ya'lls unrealistic expectations. 

please enlighten us then.  what is the weakest conference in the BCS?  and what proof do you have?  or was that just another example of "riduculous sentiment"

sure, Big East is a strong conf.  A lot better than the nation thinks.  But, there is no real way to say what conference is better then others. 

There are 8 teams in the big east and we haven't finished better than 4th.  Weakest or not, that isn't good. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

We do not play in the weakest conference in the BCS, riduculous sentiment like that is exactly the reason for so many of ya'lls unrealistic expectations. 

please enlighten us then.   what is the weakest conference in the BCS?  and what proof do you have?  or was that just another example of "riduculous sentiment"

sure, Big East is a strong conf.  A lot better than the nation thinks.  But, there is no real way to say what conference is better then others.

Looks to me like you just reinforced what shiz said ...

There are 8 teams in the big east and we haven't finished better than 4th.  Weakest or not, that isn't good.

We've finished tied for 3rd twice ...

• Content Count:  12,293

finishing tied for 3rd is 4th place in my book. 

Its like when you have a tie in the olympics and you get 2 bronze medals with no silver medal.

isnt that what they do?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

As long as you aren't one of the ones throwing UConn's "championship" in our faces .... no problem.  ;)

• Content Count:  1,985

Its like when you have a tie in the olympics and you get 2 bronze medals with no silver medal.

isnt that what they do?

No, they award the silver, 2 bronze, and then there is 5th place.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

You guys don't get it.

USF is not going to rise past the middle of the pack until it really invests into its programs. Over the years, USF has outperformed it resources, including football.

Particularly in football and basketball, you can't win....and win CONSISTENTLY...without great assistants. IMO, the football program's growth has be slowed b/c of the constant turnover in assistants. You can't blame on that Leavitt, but I'm sure you likely will.

Basketball is the same story.

Until USF can compete with other programs on a level playing field in terms of resources (salaries & Facilities) don't expect things to change too much.

USF's athletics problem is not an X's & O's problem but instead a resource problem. You can't blame the coaches for that....and the sooner you all realize that the more realistic you will be in your arguments.

Archived