South Florida 89, Bethune-Cookman 64

Guest HowieP1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

I made the trip, and was glad I did.  Another good all-around team performance.  Our ability to make shots is all the difference for this team.  We've got so many guys who can knock down a 3, and two legit post threats in Solomon and Terrence.  I'll be interested to see how they react on the road.  

But the defense has been better each night, the effort is always there.  If they can limit turnovers and improve ball handling, they can compete.  Need to see how they do against a quality big man (which they haven't seen yet), and how that affects the quality of the defense.

I love this team though... I still could not be more excited.  Bring on Wainwright (that sellout) and the Spiders!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• TripleB

• Apis Bull

• bigbull

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

* USF freshman guard Montavious Waters, who left the program Wednesday, met with McCullum on Monday, but has not rejoined the team.

``He's struggling with some personal things,'' McCullum said. ``We'll talk again [today]. We'd like for him to remain in the program, but quite honestly, I'm more concerned about him as an 18-year-old than him being in our program.''

McCullum said he expects a decision from Waters by the end of the week.

I'm glad you highlighted this.  It seemed some where ready to automatically assume the worse of CRM.  I think this speaks volumes about the kind of man he is.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Realistically, can we be 7-0 going into Michigan?

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

SCBullsfan - I'm sure those who prejudged Coach Mac will find a way to put a negative spin on it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

Realistically, can we be 7-0 going into Michigan?

I'm afraid Richmond will be too much for our boys.  Hope I am wrong.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I think we can beat Richmond and any one else in our Non conference schedule.  Yes we have played relatively bad teams, but when you can shoot, anything is possible.  I'd say we are underdogs against Richmond, Fresno, and serious underdogs against Mich and USC, but i don't think people realized we'd be able to actually score the ball this year.  

Holmes is a true offensive threat... leather is putting up great #'s, Swift is lighting it up from everywhere... all 3 are scoring over 15 a game.  Jones is capable of putting 15+ on the board on any given night and can put 10+ rebounds and 5+ blocks on any night.  Bryant, if he can stay healthy, is a huge bump for our defense and offensive energy.  The guy is a freak... 6 steals last night, and every game he sparks us with some amazing offensive energy plays.  we have 5 guys that will put up 10 or more almost every night.  We couldn't say that last year... it was the leather and mosley show and nothing else.

Now add in the 3 pt threat from dennis, and our above avg foul shooting and we are a dangerous team to any one we are dog's to.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Do any of you going to the games know if Mosley is attending games on the bench? There was a guy there last night with USF sweats on that sat on the end of the bench. He didn't seem to be part of the team yet several players tapped hands with him at times.

Mosley did go to 2 games, but the guy in sweats on the bench is probably Melvin Buckley, who will play next year...sitting out after transfering from Purdue.

• Topic Count:  2,697
  • Content Count:  6,929

I was in Lakeland and was impressed inspite of the inferior competition.

1) Coaching actually took place. When each player was taken out of the game RMc or one of the assistance would sit down and quietly speak with each player. Example: once BCC got three offensive rebounds in a row. First Leather then Jones were taken out sppke to and then put right back into the game. I can only remember a couple of offensive rebounds by BCC after that point.

2) Great spacing. The skip & cross court passes were excellent. The backside cuts and back screens were there also.

3) There was no screaming at the officials. A few obvious blown calls and all RMc did was clap his hands and go back to work. BUT, what really impressed me was the players had the same attitude. No grumbling or jawing.

4) I would say that Marlyn Bryant is BACK. His hops are fine and he is the man when it comes to "help" defense. On four consecutive trips on the defense end he blocked, stripped or stole the ball. He was great and when he came out of the game it was great that all the bench & coaches applauded his effort.

5) We do not have a point guard to back up Swift. MP is more of a 2 guard. He was OK last night, but, I fear aganist a higher level of competition, Swiftie will be playing 40 minutes.

6) Solomon Jones needs to hit the weight room.

All in all very happy

I think you'll see dennis playing some point this year, solely because of Prek's lack of ball handling thus far.  Swift CAN'T play 40 minutes again this year.  Someone has to take some of the minutes.  Prek will get some of this, but Dennis is a very good 3 pt shooter, and is no worse than Prek, probably better handling the ball.

Jones is skinny, but he uses it to his advantage.  I don't think he'll be getting any bigger anytime soon... he's already a junior.  Just play with energy, find those offensive boards!