BCS rant...

sdgukhsdgl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

After seeing so many articles slamming the Big East and how the BE is killing ths BCS, I have come to the conclusion (already knew, just further proof) that all college football analysts are morons.  

Upon reveiwing the new BCS standings, here are some reasons reporters could have used to slam the BCS but took the lazy route and tore the BE a new one (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSStandings)

- Where's the outrage that Iowa is not going to a BCS game yet they are ranked higher than Michigan in the BCS polls?  (UM won head to head, but still odd circumstances)

-Where's the articles about Lousiville, Georgia and Boise St getting screwed being ranked much higher than the Big 10 champs and most likely higher than the ACC champs, but still getting nothing.

- What makes Utah better than Boise St? Both undefeated in weak conferences.    Utah had an early season win over A&M, BSU beat UTEP and Oreg. St.  So the difference between A&M and UTEP is multimillions in BCS vs not??

-Why so few articles about the Big 10 champ getting an autobid and a team like Texas or Cal is going to get screwed even though they are in the Top 5!  

-Why no articles about the Big XII having the possibility of sending a 7-4 Colorado team to a BCS game?  

- Finally (for now) why hardly any press about the possibilites of all hell breaking loose... UCLA over USC, Colorado over OU, Tenn over Auburn... if more than one of the following happens, the BCS will be in for one hell of a joke of games and the BE will have nothing to do with it.

To conclude.... We all know the BCS system sucks... we knew this ever sense it was implemented, so stop trying to blame the Big East for its flaws.  The BE did not make the system, we just play in it.    

*rooting for all hell to break loose and practically force a playoff system*

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

*rooting for all hell to break loose and practically force a playoff system*

Me too.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Ill be rooting for Colorado,Tennesse,UCLA and the Bulls!!!!!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

i agree with you the BE is the easy scapegoat because you can at least make a claim that the big 10 has a tie in with the rose bowl.

lville, ga, and boise are all behind texas so texas deserves it before them

screw the bcs

we need a playoff system end of story

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Ill be rooting for Colorado,Tennesse,UCLA and the Bulls!!!!!

What about USM?  They're playing Cal this weekend.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

- What makes Utah better than Boise St? Both undefeated in weak conferences.    Utah had an early season win over A&M, BSU beat UTEP and Oreg. St.  So the difference between A&M and UTEP is multimillions in BCS vs not??

a) ANY D-1 team who goes undefeated should deserve a chance to play for the national title.

B) Other than the BCS title game, the rest of the BCS is just a $$$ scheme and has little to do with the quality of teams. Don't expect these non-title games to determine which is the better team...it's more about alumni and pageantry than about settling anything in the larger scheme of things.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Good point. Even the ACC champ isn't going to have a great ranking this year, and weak conference champions have earned auto-bids without much complaint in the past. It's only a crisis when the Big East sends a low-ranked champion.  ::)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

... low-ranked champion...

It's possible - in fact probable - that a decisive USF win over Pittsburgh could knock the Panthers out of the Top 25...

If that happenes, it would be the first time in either the BCS or the previous Bowl Alliance that a participating conference's champion is not ranked in either the AP or ESPN polls.

Now, the chance of USF actually beating Pitt is probably smaller than the chance that Syraucse would get the BCS...

I, for one, will be rooting for USF to beat Pitt and see what happens with the BCS.

I'll also root for West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, and fellow Big East teams in their bowls... (Louisville in Liberty, Cincy in Ft Worth, Pitt, U Conn, and Syracuse wherever they land.)

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I'll also root for West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, and fellow Big East teams in their bowls... (Louisville in Liberty, Cincy in Ft Worth, Pitt, U Conn, and Syracuse wherever they land.)

What, you mean there are SIX out of eight New Big East teams in bowl games? And the other two are USF and Rutgers who will be 4-7 at worst? Gee, I thought this conference sucked...

Guest HowieP1

The Big East is safe and it's not that unusual:

Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: I know you've said on numerous occasions this year that conferences will be looked at in a four-year window. Is there any scenario where that can change during the off-season, after what happened with the Big East this year and Pittsburgh No. 23 in the BCS?

Kevin Weiberg: Well, I really don't think so. My understanding is that obviously the commitment is in place to continue forward through next year, and then our process was that we were going to do two years into a new structure before there would be an evaluation of conference automatic qualification.

I think it's also important to say that it's not unusual for the BCS system to have a team from a conference playing the system that is ranked between 10 and 20. That's occurred virtually every year in the system, in some fashion. In fact, in 1999, I think we had a Stanford team that in the Rose Bowl that was not rated.]/b] So, I think you have to be careful about singling out any conference on a single-year basis and that's why, as we've thought about the issue of conference champions going forward, we're trying to consider it in terms of a multi-year look, as opposed to a single-year look.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=75