• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

times.gif

Big East preview is on tap for the Bulls

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published November 29, 2004

TAMPA - Saturday's season finale against Pittsburgh will serve as a look into South Florida's Big East future, and the Bulls also are getting a taste of politics in their new conference.

A four-way tie atop the final conference standings and a complicated tiebreaker system will have Pittsburgh likely taking the Big East's BCS bid and the $4.5-million payday that comes with it. The Panthers are in a position to sneak into a BCS game because Boston College was upset 43-17 by Syracuse on Saturday. With the Eagles heading to the ACC next season, the rest of the conference doesn't seem to mind them missing out on a big check.

"It's fair to say that we were hoping Boston College would not get a BCS bid their last year in the league," Pittsburgh athletic director Jeff Long told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We are satisfied and excited that it is going to be someone other than Boston College, and we're particularly happy it will be us."

USF's opponents haven't expressed such rancor as the Bulls played out their final season in Conference USA.

Pittsburgh should get the BCS nod because the first tiebreaker is the record among the four tied teams, and the Panthers (7-3) and Syracuse (6-5) both went 2-1 in those games. Even though Syracuse beat Pittsburgh 38-31 Nov. 6, the next tiebreaker is which team finishes higher in the BCS standings, where Pittsburgh is expected to have a sizable advantage when the rankings are announced today.

Even if USF were to pull off a convincing upset of Pittsburgh, it's doubtful the Panthers would fall below Syracuse in the BCS standings. While the Bulls likely can't take the Panthers out of the BCS, they can set the tone for their arrival in the Big East.

"We're just focusing on trying to get our team better. We need to be playing good football," coach Jim Leavitt said.

THAT TIME AGAIN: Leavitt has been reported as one of three potential candidates to replace Ron Turner at Illinois. The Chicago Tribune listed Leavitt among the names on Illinois' short list, with Texas Tech coach Mike Leach as the front-runner.

Leavitt, who last year signed a seven-year contract to keep him at USF through 2009, dismissed the report, saying he's focused and happy with the job he has.

"I love being here," said Leavitt, who interviewed for an opening at Indiana in 2001 and Alabama in 2002. "I'm trying to do all I can to build a strong program here, and that's all I'm focused on."

THIS AND THAT: Even with a disciplined four penalties for 41 yards in a 31-15 loss to Memphis Saturday, USF leads the nation in penalties per game, but the Bulls can avoid finishing the season with that dubious distinction. If USF draws fewer than nine penalties against Pittsburgh, Texas Tech will pass the Bulls and end the year as college football's penalty king. ... Junior running back Andre Hall, who rushed for 134 yards Saturday, is ranked ninth nationally in rushing at 127.2 yards per game and sixth in all-purpose yardage with 173.5. ... For the third time in four games, USF's offensive line did not give up a sack, and for the fourth game in a row, sophomore quarterback Pat Julmiste did not throw an interception, dating to USF's loss to Louisville. ... Julmiste has nine rushing touchdowns, tying Marquel Blackwell's school season record for a quarterback. Julmiste has rushed for five scores in the past four games.

Story Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

You know when you read "This and That" from the article it really makes the offense look good.  As I look back over the games it really was the "D" that let us down this year.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

I should have bolded the This and That section, glad you read it.  I thought Greg pointed out some key issues there.  Really, who cares about Pitt?

I think it's hard to point just one finger at this team.  No one area is to blame (PJ, defense, Hobbie, Leavitt, receivers dropping balls, etc.)

I, however side with the less excitable crowd that understands we have some growing to do and we'll be just fine.