For anyone interested in an outsider's perspective

Hurricane Mutiny

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  579
  • Days Won:  0

Best of luck to you. But get used to it.

I know you think you meant well but excuse me if I ask what you are trying to do? You came to a place littered with fans of a team (fans -- a shortened form of fanatic, right?) to find unemotional and middle of the road responses? This is the essence of message boards. With what little bit of free time most of us have, we are choosing to spend time discussing and interacting with people who have an interest in a certain subject (in this instance, all things USF). Therefore, most people here feel invested, no matter how true it is; the emotional lines are skewed excessively. So the people who hate the program's direction are skewed way to that side, while the people who love it are skewed way to their side. I'm pretty sure you know this, which is why I ask: What you are trying to do? When a Miami player is arrested or they lose a game, your boards look no different. It isn't as if you have post after post of rational, well-thought-out posts. Nope, you have the "We are the worst program" to the "If (insert event) occurred, we would have won" to "that kid ***** so bad" to "So what if he was arrested 4 times? Second chances."  

This isn't college football phenomena. Go look at the comments people are leaving about this Chris Henry incident. Some people are actually inferring that he deserves to be on life support, while others are touting him as a misunderstood soul who never did wrong. In conclusion, thanks for your logic. Because you have no emotional investment in this situation and what you perceive as credibility (i.e. Miami has been around longer, you were watching when Woody Hayes punched a guy), you feel somewhat superior "telling us how it is." Some people are eating it up like we need a pep talk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,073
  • Days Won:  488

Did any of you watch "The U" documentary on ESPN this week?  Did you see how many of those articles about UM were written by the hometown press?  The Miami Herald, The Miami Times (until it folded), The Sun-Sentinel, and The Palm Beach Post ripped Miami for 15 solid years.  Dan Le Batard (he was actually in the documentary) was the primary reporter writing stories that led to Miami's probation in the 1990s.

HM,

This isn't even the hometown press.  It's a hometown writer who got fired by his employer for these issues.

How many stories featured in that ESPN documentary were concocted?  Proven false?

You see that is the issue.  As mentioned in another thread, had any other reporter - Greg Auman, Alan Dell, Steve Carter, Walter Cronkite, reported on this, we would have a completely different response.   

That's the issue.

McMurphy has a record of false allegations and using teenage/early 20s kids to build a story.  Many times the quotes are out of context and the kids are badgered into saying something untrue - all to get a shot in at USF.

That's the problem.

Unless you know the history, it's not going to sink in.  Many folks that jumped on board in 2007 or so (majority of our fans) don't know any of the history...it led to the guy being fired...talk about "where there's smoke.."

Thanks for your insight, it's a good read as we await USF investigation of these allegations.

Bulliever, I hear what you are saying.

First, as far as McMurphy goes, I find it hard to believe that "false allegations" would allow him to be employed again in sports journalism. 

This really is a unique situation, believe me.  Others will certainly confir.  I wouldn't be surprised if this last story turns out false too that the school or Jim Leavitt doesn't push back a little.  It's getting to be about time.

I understand the rest of reply and appreciate it.

• Content Count:  276

Best of luck to you.  But get used to it.

I know you think you meant well but excuse me if I ask what you are trying to do?  You came to a place littered with fans of a team (fans -- a shortened form of fanatic, right?) to find unemotional and middle of the road responses?  This is the essence of message boards.  With what little bit of free time most of us have, we are choosing to spend time discussing and interacting with people who have an interest in a certain subject (in this instance, all things USF).  Therefore, most people here feel invested, no matter how true it is; the emotional lines are skewed excessively.  So the people who hate the program's direction are skewed way to that side, while the people who love it are skewed way to their side.  I'm pretty sure you know this, which is why I ask: What you are trying to do?  When a Miami player is arrested or they lose a game, your boards look no different.  It isn't as if you have post after post of rational, well-thought-out posts.  Nope, you have the "We are the worst program" to the "If (insert event) occurred, we would have won" to "that kid ***** so bad" to "So what if he was arrested 4 times? Second chances."  

This isn't college football phenomena.  Go look at the comments people are leaving about this Chris Henry incident.  Some people are actually inferring that he deserves to be on life support, while others are touting him as a misunderstood soul who never did wrong.  In conclusion, thanks for your logic.  Because you have no emotional investment in this situation and what you perceive as credibility (i.e. Miami has been around longer, you were watching when Woody Hayes punched a guy), you feel somewhat superior "telling us how it is."  Some people are eating it up like we need a pep talk. 

What a sadly childish response.

What am I trying to do?  I'm trying to discuss a current issue with USF football fans.  If you don't ever want a non-USF fan to comment, contact your moderators.  I'm sure they know what school someone with the name "Hurricane Mutiny" comes from.

I don't need to establish any credibility.  I'm not saying anything you need to believe or disbelieve.  I offered a non-USF perspective, you can take it or leave it.  I offered it because your program has impressively made a rapid rise within Division I-A, and perhaps not all of your fans are familiar with the feeling of having your alma mater hit hard by a questionable news article.

It's nice, sometimes, to be able to view the problems of the world from different perspectives, sometimes we are so caught up in ours that we can benefit from the experiences of others.  But, hey, idiothusband, if you are so insecure that you read everything I wrote as "superiority", feel free to continue with your deluded life.

I simply appreciate that most of the posters on this thread realized that some people are capable of putting aside their differences in difficult times to make a fair assessment and give some supportive words.

Good luck, all.

• Content Count:  7,075
  • Days Won:  11

Best of luck to you.  But get used to it.

I know you think you meant well but excuse me if I ask what you are trying to do?  You came to a place littered with fans of a team (fans -- a shortened form of fanatic, right?) to find unemotional and middle of the road responses?  This is the essence of message boards.  With what little bit of free time most of us have, we are choosing to spend time discussing and interacting with people who have an interest in a certain subject (in this instance, all things USF).  Therefore, most people here feel invested, no matter how true it is; the emotional lines are skewed excessively.  So the people who hate the program's direction are skewed way to that side, while the people who love it are skewed way to their side.  I'm pretty sure you know this, which is why I ask: What you are trying to do?  When a Miami player is arrested or they lose a game, your boards look no different.  It isn't as if you have post after post of rational, well-thought-out posts.  Nope, you have the "We are the worst program" to the "If (insert event) occurred, we would have won" to "that kid ***** so bad" to "So what if he was arrested 4 times? Second chances."  

This isn't college football phenomena.  Go look at the comments people are leaving about this Chris Henry incident.  Some people are actually inferring that he deserves to be on life support, while others are touting him as a misunderstood soul who never did wrong.  In conclusion, thanks for your logic.  Because you have no emotional investment in this situation and what you perceive as credibility (i.e. Miami has been around longer, you were watching when Woody Hayes punched a guy), you feel somewhat superior "telling us how it is."  Some people are eating it up like we need a pep talk. 

What a sadly childish response.

What am I trying to do?  I'm trying to discuss a current issue with USF football fans.  If you don't ever want a non-USF fan to comment, contact your moderators.  I'm sure they know what school someone with the name "Hurricane Mutiny" comes from.

I don't need to establish any credibility.  I'm not saying anything you need to believe or disbelieve.  I offered a non-USF perspective, you can take it or leave it.  I offered it because your program has impressively made a rapid rise within Division I-A, and perhaps not all of your fans are familiar with the feeling of having your alma mater hit hard by a questionable news article.

It's nice, sometimes, to be able to view the problems of the world from different perspectives, sometimes we are so caught up in ours that we can benefit from the experiences of others.  But, hey, idiothusband, if you are so insecure that you read everything I wrote as "superiority", feel free to continue with your deluded life.

I simply appreciate that most of the posters on this thread realized that some people are capable of putting aside their differences in difficult times to make a fair assessment and give some supportive words.

Good luck, all.

Hold On! You're a hurricane fan?!  ;D

I appreciate the perspective as well, also I think you we're pretty clear with what you were trying to do by naming the thread: "For anyone interested in an outsider's perspective".

:2cents

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,073
  • Days Won:  488

I always thought Tulsa should have played in the Mountain West.

Come on, be kind to our guest.  It was an insightful and informative post.

HM, some of our guys are on edge with this whole season...and now the web gossip McMurphy.

• Content Count:  276

I always thought Tulsa should have played in the Mountain West.

Come on, be kind to our guest.  It was an insightful and informative post.

HM, some of our guys are on edge with this whole season...and now the web gossip McMurphy.

Thanks, Bulliever, I understand.

You can just imagine what our boards were like before about 4 months ago.  Cutthroat.

Guest nybullsfan

hm, thanks for the posts, enjoyed reading both

whether i agree with you or not, it's good to get some reasoned thoughts here to balance out some of the purely emotional comments

• Content Count:  2,052

Very fair insight! My take is that he is saying that with our continued meteoric rise to success, we need to be cognicient of the fact that there will be "snipers" in the media just looking to discredit a program. Whether the circumstances are true or trumped up, we all need to be wary of these impending accusations to discredit our program. It is part of the "growing process," am I correct Hurricane m? This is the slant you are taking. Not the fact that superiority over one school or the next is respresented, but one who has suffered through the accusations and discredidations tagged onto ones program. Right or wrong, there will always be the roaches and leeches lurking; ready to pounce and try to suck the life out of a program. We just need to learn and handle the extermination.    Reaper

Archived