• Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,067
  • Days Won:  488

greg auman with walter c!   funny

smart money is that writer didnt make up story

Steve, would you agree (with all the backpedaling and out of context quotes the writer used - according to the father) that maybe he didn't make the whole thing up (no one says that) but he certainly embellished the story as he has in the past?

That's where the smart money is Stevie.

And Cronkite is dead - it was a joke. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

This guy doesnt realize how small town USF fans are.  We will keep ourself out of the top 3 or 4 whatever you call it. 

Rule #1 at USF

Thall shall not talk bad about USF. 

Bruce, you have been on the board just over a year and your motto is "thou shalt talk bad about USF, all the time".  Of your 1000 or so posts, over 900 have been negative.  You may want to consider medication.

Some of us have been supporting USF when we weren't in the papers, because the programs were infants.  We donated, went to games, bought tickets, donated, and supported some not-so-great teams.  But we supported USF and were there through thick and thin, and we were not fairweather fans.

Now we had some success in 07, 08, 09, and we got the johnny-come-latelies and fair weather fans.  I am not convinced the program needs those kind of fans.

I guess you could liken this to a small family owned company who ended up franchising, and then become a public firm.  The family feel has been lost somewhat, even if the founding family members are still here. 

Those of us who have been here a while have seen other issues with the USF program as it has grown.  But we will take a prudent "wait and see how it shakes out" position on it.  Others have already convicted the man.  Most of those who have done this "conviction" are new comers (and smazza).  Most were already CJL haters so they are hoping he will be gone, so we can replace him with who?

It is not that people are not willing to say good or bad things about USF, the question is why?  There isn't enough known yet and the truth has not been completely exposed.  Let it run through its process, then make an informed opinion rather than a knee jerk one.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Hurricane Mutiny,

I think you presented a fair and balanced perspective, and certainly one that many of us have not considered.  We will certainly have bumps in the road during this journey, and there really is no final destination to it as each year is simply another step. 

USF is still growing and maturing, but we have a long ways to go to catch the Big 3.  I am hoping I get to see it in the next couple of decades.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

some good advice from a cane

yup.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Great post and thanks for the persepctive. It's amazing how all of those with nothing but negative agendas and comments disappear when there's actually an intelligent post with some substance and a great outsiders perspective.

Thanks Cane fan! Can't wait till November 27th next year!

Actually, at least one of "those with negative agendas" has posted in this thread.  Not that it matters.

• Content Count:  971

Mutiny, your post was probably the best I have ever seen from an outsider on this board.  Maybe we should create some award to encourage others to do the same.  I know we have our Hall of Fame, but this seems like a different category to me.  Anyway, thanks!

• Content Count:  276

Did any of you watch "The U" documentary on ESPN this week?  Did you see how many of those articles about UM were written by the hometown press?  The Miami Herald, The Miami Times (until it folded), The Sun-Sentinel, and The Palm Beach Post ripped Miami for 15 solid years.  Dan Le Batard (he was actually in the documentary) was the primary reporter writing stories that led to Miami's probation in the 1990s.

HM,

This isn't even the hometown press.  It's a hometown writer who got fired by his employer for these issues.

How many stories featured in that ESPN documentary were concocted?  Proven false?

You see that is the issue.  As mentioned in another thread, had any other reporter - Greg Auman, Alan Dell, Steve Carter, Walter Cronkite, reported on this, we would have a completely different response.   

That's the issue.

McMurphy has a record of false allegations and using teenage/early 20s kids to build a story.  Many times the quotes are out of context and the kids are badgered into saying something untrue - all to get a shot in at USF.

That's the problem.

Unless you know the history, it's not going to sink in.  Many folks that jumped on board in 2007 or so (majority of our fans) don't know any of the history...it led to the guy being fired...talk about "where there's smoke.."

Thanks for your insight, it's a good read as we await USF investigation of these allegations.

Bulliever, I hear what you are saying.

First, as far as McMurphy goes, I find it hard to believe that "false allegations" would allow him to be employed again in sports journalism.  My HS journalism teacher was fired by the Orlando Sentinel for plagiarism, he hasn't worked in the industry since.  Jason Blair and numerous other writers have been blacklisted from journalism for their false stories.  At any rate, I'm not criticizing you for questioning McMurphy, I'm just pointing out that I would trust USF to get to the bottom of the "factual" aspects of the allegations.

Second, when it comes to 15 years worth of articles about Miami, let's not pretend that what I am describing was limited to facts in articles.  Yes, there were numerous articles that were shown to have inaccuracies or never-proven assertions.  But there were also conclusions drawn from hastily assembled facts (which is what I would argue is the bigger problem with McMurphy's article).  One of the most well-known attacks against UM came in the SI article with the cover headline promising to explain why UM should drop football.  Yet once Butch Davis took over and all of the Erickson recruits left UM, we have had very few players get into trouble with the law (Nate the Great was arrested and didn't tell Butch, Marve got into trouble in the Grove, Rolle was hassled by the cops and charges were never even filed, and Moore got into an argument with his girlfriend on campus).  Miami just graduated 100% of one of its classes.  Miami finished in the Top 10 of the APR.  So you could certainly argue that Miami should NOT drop football, that it was a question of hiring a more disciplinary coach and improving its rules and regulations.

At any rate, before everyone gets too complimentary of my balanced posting, remember, I'm the same guy who tried to explain why it is bad for Miami to lock into an annual game with USF (from Miami's perspective).  I don't always say what you want to hear, but I am always honest with what I say.  And by no means would I pile onto a coach in a situation like this just because I went to another school in Florida.

I hope that the whole situation is clarified soon, and I hope that we ALL remember how any one newspaper article can make us look bad, whether it's the Marves complaining about UM or the Millers saying some things about USF.  The violation can hit any of us at any time, and we must do our best to be fair whether it's our alma mater or not.

Good luck.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

The U Documentary was fantastic.  The part about Walsh taking the elevator while some of his teammates were wearing ski masks and carrying brown paper bags for a night of "cash liberation" was disturbing.

• Content Count:  3,663
  • Days Won:  4

Thanks for the post, Hurricane.  It's very well written for a Hurricane.  ;D

I think I'll take this as a compliment, Data.  I'm a 3-time UM alum, so hopefully I can give credit to my fine UM education.

That's the way it was meant (with a small amount of ribbing thrown in).  

Actually, the true UM alums I know are good people.  I generally find that the UM fans that did not attend the school are the real trouble makers.  Well, them, and some of the football players from the 80's.  Unfortunately I live in Dan Sileo's radio territory.  Sadly, he doesn't do much to improve the Hurricane's reputation.

If you can hear it, we also have to put up with that clown on 1040, Marc Benarzyk. Punk kid. I like that he talks a lot of college football but unfortunatly it is mostly just to pimp the "U".

Archived