For anyone interested in an outsider's perspective

Hurricane Mutiny

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,532
  • Days Won:  24

Thanks for the post, Hurricane.  It's very well written for a Hurricane.  ;D

I think I'll take this as a compliment, Data.  I'm a 3-time UM alum, so hopefully I can give credit to my fine UM education.

That's the way it was meant (with a small amount of ribbing thrown in).  

Actually, the true UM alums I know are good people.  I generally find that the UM fans that did not attend the school are the real trouble makers.  Well, them, and some of the football players from the 80's.  Unfortunately I live in Dan Sileo's radio territory.  Sadly, he doesn't do much to improve the Hurricane's reputation.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Scherdin

Good thread!

He's right, once a program gets big enough, there is always going to a writer, blogger, student, etc that is going to stir the pot.  It happens with all the big programs.  I'm around a bunch of Colorado alum, and some of the stuff out here on CU is just as bad.

We all need to realize our little program is growing up and we will be accused of other things down the road.  So the best thing we can do is support our programs (players, coaches and fans) and let this current drama unfold and then move on.

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

SFF, I'm saying it's "factual" in nature.  Meaning, the contact can be establish as happening or not happening, regardless of severity.  I understand that Miller and family appear to be backtracking a bit, but there were also unnamed players who were quoted as saying the event happened.

My point is that I would expect USF to interview everyone who was in the locker room.  Even if the contact turns out to be minimal, I would expect that there would be plenty of people who would say it happened if it happened, or it didn't if it didn't.

I know this is at a very preliminary stage, I'm just pointing out that there are parts of this that can/will be established as happening or not happening.  The question of "how severe was the contact" might be an element that is never established FACTUALLY, but is always a question of perspective and opinion.  That is all.

Seeing as to how Mr. Miller's quote was already taken out of context, I am not so sure how much I would believe the unnamed sources, or if that many even exist. Since they are anonymous you can float any number of them out there.

We already know that Coach Leavitt was shaking the shoulders pads of players in the locker room during the half.

Agree that we may never know the severity of it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,071
  • Days Won:  488

I don't think anyone minds real reporting.

• Content Count:  203

Great post and thanks for the persepctive. It's amazing how all of those with nothing but negative agendas and comments disappear when there's actually an intelligent post with some substance and a great outsiders perspective.

Thanks Cane fan! Can't wait till November 27th next year!

• Content Count:  468

Good points.

Bottom line is this:

1. If he did it - and it was malicious - he needs to be fired.

2. If he didn't do it - or it isn't like it was first presented - everyone needs to just move on.

3. It really couldn't have come at a worst time due to recruiting. I'm sure everyone is trying to use it against USF in some way or another.

4. If everyone wants GOOD press when things are good - you have to accept BAD press when things are bad.

• Content Count:  4,503

So I guess we are in the "Big Time" now.

• Content Count:  4,503

Any press is good press.

What does an opposing coach recruiting say "  Hey, don't go there the coach will beat you ?  lol  I doubt they would even bring it up.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,071
  • Days Won:  488

Did any of you watch "The U" documentary on ESPN this week?  Did you see how many of those articles about UM were written by the hometown press?  The Miami Herald, The Miami Times (until it folded), The Sun-Sentinel, and The Palm Beach Post ripped Miami for 15 solid years.  Dan Le Batard (he was actually in the documentary) was the primary reporter writing stories that led to Miami's probation in the 1990s.

HM,

This isn't even the hometown press.  It's a hometown writer who got fired by his employer for these issues.

How many stories featured in that ESPN documentary were concocted?  Proven false?

You see that is the issue.  As mentioned in another thread, had any other reporter - Greg Auman, Alan Dell, Steve Carter, Walter Cronkite, reported on this, we would have a completely different response. 

That's the issue.

McMurphy has a record of false allegations and using teenage/early 20s kids to build a story.  Many times the quotes are out of context and the kids are badgered into saying something untrue - all to get a shot in at USF.

That's the problem.

Unless you know the history, it's not going to sink in.  Many folks that jumped on board in 2007 or so (majority of our fans) don't know any of the history...it led to the guy being fired...talk about "where there's smoke.."

Thanks for your insight, it's a good read as we await USF investigation of these allegations.

Archived