Get ready for another raid!

Capital H

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

With all the money involved in the Big East basketball deal they won't divide the league up.

If 1 Big East program goes to the Big Ten, then 1 program will fill their spot.

Unfortunate truth written here

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

I think extending invitations to TCU and Houston before the Big Ten finishes its assessment would be the best course of action.  Then, if the Big East loses a team, we will still have addressed our scheduling issue.  If not, then we have 11 teams.  I don't like the idea of adding Memphis, ECU, or UCF, personally.  TCU and Houston have history and recent, sustained success.  Basically, they show more promise and are located in Texas, a recruiting hotbed.

The problem is what to do about basketball under such scenario...

Good point--why be reactive when we can be proactive. I'd invite TCU yesterday if I were us. I think the only thing holding us back is the fact that we'd balloon to 17 basketball schools. I wonder if TCU would consider a football-only membership.

I think extending invitations to TCU and Houston before the Big Ten finishes its assessment would be the best course of action.  Then, if the Big East loses a team, we will still have addressed our scheduling issue.  If not, then we have 11 teams.  I don't like the idea of adding Memphis, ECU, or UCF, personally.  TCU and Houston have history and recent, sustained success.  Basically, they show more promise and are located in Texas, a recruiting hotbed.

The problem is what to do about basketball under such scenario...

Good point--why be reactive when we can be proactive. I'd invite TCU yesterday if I were us. I think the only thing holding us back is the fact that we'd balloon to 17 basketball schools. I wonder if TCU would consider a football-only membership.

I severly doubt it.

I'm surprised the PAC10 hasn't considered them, Utah, or Boise yet

• Content Count:  1,261

It's pretty simple......the basketball schools control the league.  They will never vote to have more football playing members than basketball members.  Right now it is split 8 and 8.  If one all sports team leaves one all sports team will be added.  They will maintain 8 BBall only schools to ensure 8 all sport schools don't out number.

It's way too costly for the 8 all sports to break off.  There are too many credits from the NCAA tourney to walk away from.  Plus if the 8 full sport were to split they would have to leave behind the Big East name.

The more I think about this Big 10, err 11, future move the less I think it will happen because I don't think anyone other than ND brings enough money to the table to make it worth while.  The currently 11 members aren't all going to agree to take a lesser cut just so Alvarez and a few other AD's don't have to worry about scheduling an extra bye week and spreading their schedule a little better.

If it does happen the only BE team I think will go is Rutgers.  They have the TV market to dangle and that TV market may be just enough.  Penn St doesn't want Pitt and Cuse just isn't all that attractive.

I'd prefer to lose Cuse and add ECU or UCF or worst case Memphis if this is going to happen.  I don't want to lose Rutgers or Pitt.

What about addin a basketball only school as well as an additional all sport school.

• Content Count:  4,503

The more I hear TCU & Houston I like it.  Give you TX for recruiting,10 team league so only 3 OOC games are needed.  Both teams are pretty good especially TCU.  Makes for nice rivalry game between them.  You have good plane connections to Dallas and Ft. Worth(I think you might use the same airport(DFW).  I think at that point you would divide the BB conference up including all sports into two divisions with some interconference match-ups(keep the big boys playing the big boys).  Dallas is a big market for TV.  The travel wouldn't be much more.  I mean once you are in the air at 350MPH it doesn't add much time to the flight plus we would add a new time zone for games.

Come on BE - get proactive and add these guys.  One by itself makes less sense then both.  Brings both programs to BCS conference which should help them - I don't know how much help TCU really needs.

• Content Count:  2,363

The more I hear TCU & Houston I like it.  Give you TX for recruiting,10 team league so only 3 OOC games are needed.  Both teams are pretty good especially TCU.  Makes for nice rivalry game between them.  You have good plane connections to Dallas and Ft. Worth(I think you might use the same airport(DFW).  I think at that point you would divide the BB conference up including all sports into two divisions with some interconference match-ups(keep the big boys playing the big boys).  Dallas is a big market for TV.  The travel wouldn't be much more.  I mean once you are in the air at 350MPH it doesn't add much time to the flight plus we would add a new time zone for games.

Come on BE - get proactive and add these guys.  One by itself makes less sense then both.  Brings both programs to BCS conference which should help them - I don't know how much help TCU really needs.

TCU and Houston also adds the DFW and Houston media markets, giving the Big East presence (between both basketball and football) in five of the top six media markets in the US and six of the top eight markets east of the Rockies.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

The basketball school issue is mute once Notre Dame is kicked out of the league which should be the next step after we are raided... Notre Dame forced the Big East to invite DePaul and Marquette per the agreement to allow ND into the Big East... if the Big East can kick out ND then DePaul and Marquette are automatically goners as well. None of the actual Big East teams wanted them in the conference in the first place.

If this occurs then there will only be 5 basketball schools to 7 football schools and thus the football schools can rule the roost and start giving some of them the boot... we should keep 1 or 2 of the basketball only schools to ensure that the Big East remains the best basketball conference.

However this is all speculation and dependent upon the Big East having enough brains to kick ND to the curb...

In all reality the Big East is so stupid that I doubt they will do anything more then invite UCF, Memphis, or Southern Miss to fill the void left by Rutgers or Cuse.

• Content Count:  278

UCF, Memphis or Southern Miss cannot be admitted into the Big East before TCU and/or Houston.

Guest nybullsfan

well if you think about it, TCU, Rice, SMU, and Houston were all members of the old SWC, which was certainly a "BCS-level" conference back in the day.

If anybody deserves to get back into a BCS conference, it's these guys.

Archived