An open letter to the coaches

The_Reaper

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Do NOT blame the fans.

You sound like Vince Naimoli......expecting the fans to come out FIRST, before the team gives them a product to go see. It doesnt work taht way my friend.

I'm about tired of the "we had trailers" excuse. Bottom line is this, when we had Blackwell, we(the coaching staff) got lazy in recruiting. They sat on their laurels so to speak with Blackwell, and failed to recruit an adequate replacement.

These 2 "rebuilding" years that we're going through couldve been avoided with a young QB learning UNDER Blackwell.

The fact that the coaching staff had NO CLUE what kind of offensive talent they had until game 3 of the season, proves what I'm saying. They just kinda sat back this offseason, and went into game 1 expecting to spread it out - like always - and throw the ball around the field. Then a light switch went on and we became a smashmouth offense who runs the ball 70% of the time. Dont you think a better prepared coaching staff wouldve realized this in spring practice?

So in closing, we werent prepared to replace Blackwell, we werent prepared to start the season, and my worst fear is that we're not prepared for the Big East.

Let's all hope and pray that our team is just young..........and not young AND without talent.

You are **** right it doesn't work that way. This is NOT professional sports where we can go out and address our needs through free agency or trades.

Instead we have to recruit players that: fit our system but most importantly want to come here. In other words, when a hot shot QB or OL visits campus and he is shown a 3,000 sq ft weight room and then compares it to any other ACC or SEC program, it is going to be almost impossible to sign that  player.

This "excuse" no longer applies and you can tell by the quality of recruits we got last year and have already assembled this year that the new facilities make a big difference. Some of you guys don't realize how good we have had it since day one. Try being a Memphis fan whose 50 year futility in football is finally going away. How about temple or rutgers? Vanderbilt? Instead you are ripping a coach who gave you a winning record last despite being in rebuilding mode. How is that for gratitude and loyalty.

I also don't buy your "getting lazy" comments. Did you miss us going down to the wire with bigtime QBs the last 3 off seasons? Our coaches did everything right with Ingram, yet he still got duped into going to UF. So your "lazy" comments are full of crap.

Regarding not knowing what kind of talent we had.....well duh!

In case you didn't know Hall didn't make it on campus until August. It took him all of the fall practice and the first three games to feel comfortable and know the offense. There have been collaborating quotes from Leavitt, Franks and Hall over the last 4 weeks.  It's no coincidence that once Hall got going our offense showed signs of life?

Furthermore, Spring practice and live game action are a completely different story. Banks looked great in Spring and Fall practice scrimmages yet when the lights came he could hit the broad side of a barn. Look sometimes players have all the tools in the world but things don't work out. Look at Ryan Leaf's short lived NFL career. Now I am not comparing PJ to Leaf in any form, but the coaches thought he would perform better. He has improved over last year but not enough to be where we want to be.

The bottom line is that we need fans that can keep an eye on the big picture and realize that building a program takes time. Sometimes I just shake my head when I read comments like yours b/c it truly baffles me how some fans don't realize the big jump in competition we have undergone the last three years.

What would you people have us do? Fire Jim Leavitt? Then what? Get laughed at by firing a young up and coming coach who was expected to somehow overcome working a trailer for 8 years while underpaying his assistants?

I have no problem making a change in coaching if it makes a difference.  However, making a change just for change sakes is the best way to become a bottom feeder program.  I agree with the general consesnsus among ALL OF US BULLS FANS that there needs to be some changes in staff and/or offensive philosophy but some of you want to fire everyone. If we do that then we'll just become like the bottom feeders in ORlando who are stuck overpaying a has been coach for respectability.

Oh more thing, in case you didn't "get it": we could won the game on Saturday, yet if you were a big time recruit at the game how inclined would you be to sign with a program that it's own fans forgot to show up for an early Saturday afternoon game? Who are you going to blame when that kids signs elsewhere?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CyberBull

• bulls96go

• Cubanbull

• The_Reaper

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

Powerful letter....sounds like a letter another team in the State of FL could use.

::grinrabbit::

KL

gnats finally questioning the BS they have been fed

"if all you want is top 25 then i am not your man if you want top 10 then i am your guy"  paraphrasing oliar

Dear fans,

While the players and coaches really appreciate the support of the fans that bothered to show up this Saturday, we need to realize the realities of major college football. One, fans need to show up at games regardless of the record. Many on this coaching staff came from Big12 and Big10 programs where supporters of the program only needed to know what date and time to show up for football and basketball games. Now we realize that football is new for many of you so we are giving you a free pass. However, don't think that fickle fan support has not been noticed by the coaches and players.

Secondly, this past year was a rebuilding year. If you read the preseason quotes in the Tampa Tribune you should of known that this was going to be tough year. We have a lot of talent but  did Louisville two years ago and look at them now. So please don't act surprised or hold the players and staff responsible for your unreal expectations. Nobody on our staff has said that South Florida football has arrived.

Similarly, never question the heart and effort of these kids.  Please don't tell DeJuan Brown he wasn't giving it his all, as he tried to talk the coaching staff into letting him try and play with a cast on his wrist.  Perhaps we can arrange a mixer with some of you unsatisfied fans with our offensive linemen who have been playing through pain all year. Perhaps some of you can shadow some of our coaches through one our routine 17-hour days.  Some of our coaches have been with us since the beginning yet their reward for all their hard work is a below average salary.  Coaches have lives like anybody else thus their services cost money. If you want to retain your best coaches or attract new coaches you have to be able to pay them. That is not just greed talking but everyday life.

Finally, when I hear some of you gripe about our lack of QBs on the roster,  it is really perplexing. Have some of you already forgotten that we used to recruit out of a double wide? Do you realize how hard it is to recruit any good player never mind, elite QBs? In addition, talented offensive coaches are just as hard to recruit.  Perhaps if fans would have supported the program at a higher level the program would not have been stuck in the trailers as long as we were.Things are changing with the new facilities. We really, really appreciate the new building but all this facility does is bring us up to a level playing field with programs that have had facilities for years.

All in all, it has been a tough season. We played more young players than we ever had and these groups of kids have a chance to be special in a year or two.  In sum, if you are going to publicly challenge the integrity of the players and coaching staff and hold us accountable to your unrealistic expectations then all I ask is that you return the favor. I challenge you to fill the lower bowl every game next year. That in turn will make recruiting easier, bring more money into the program and most importantly not embarrass the university, our future conference and YOUR ALMA MATER on national TV.  If we want to be a big time program then we have to act like one on and off the field.

Actually it's not even your choice. I KNOW that the team will get better next year. The question remains whether YOU can keep your part of the bargain.

Best wishes,

The Coaching Staff*

UL got a new coach!

man look at them now!

UL got a new coach!

man look at them now!

UL has nearly three times our athletic budget.

Oh btw, UL went through the same thing two years ago when everyone was complaining so much about the talent JL Smith brought in, that they ran a good coach out of town. We all remember Ragone getting killed b/c of his underclassmen OL and we should also remember JR Russell dropping passes. On defense their LBs over pursued and their DL didn't keep their gap responsibilities. Of course all those kids are now Jrs and senior and look at them now. Sound familiar?

You are **** right it doesn't work that way. This is NOT professional sports where we can go out and address our needs through free agency or trades.

Instead we have to recruit players that: fit our system but most importantly want to come here. In other words, when a hot shot QB or OL visits campus and he is shown a 3,000 sq ft weight room and then compares it to any other ACC or SEC program, it is going to be almost impossible to sign that  player.

This "excuse" no longer applies and you can tell by the quality of recruits we got last year and have already assembled this year that the new facilities make a big difference. Some of you guys don't realize how good we have had it since day one. Try being a Memphis fan whose 50 year futility in football is finally going away. How about temple or rutgers? Vanderbilt? Instead you are ripping a coach who gave you a winning record last despite being in rebuilding mode. How is that for gratitude and loyalty.

I also don't buy your "getting lazy" comments. Did you miss us going down to the wire with bigtime QBs the last 3 off seasons? Our coaches did everything right with Ingram, yet he still got duped into going to UF. So your "lazy" comments are full of crap.

Regarding not knowing what kind of talent we had.....well duh!

In case you didn't know Hall didn't make it on campus until August. It took him all of the fall practice and the first three games to feel comfortable and know the offense. There have been collaborating quotes from Leavitt, Franks and Hall over the last 4 weeks.  It's no coincidence that once Hall got going our offense showed signs of life?

Furthermore, Spring practice and live game action are a completely different story. Banks looked great in Spring and Fall practice scrimmages yet when the lights came he could hit the broad side of a barn. Look sometimes players have all the tools in the world but things don't work out. Look at Ryan Leaf's short lived NFL career. Now I am not comparing PJ to Leaf in any form, but the coaches thought he would perform better. He has improved over last year but not enough to be where we want to be.

The bottom line is that we need fans that can keep an eye on the big picture and realize that building a program takes time. Sometimes I just shake my head when I read comments like yours b/c it truly baffles me how some fans don't realize the big jump in competition we have undergone the last three years.

What would you people have us do? Fire Jim Leavitt? Then what? Get laughed at by firing a young up and coming coach who was expected to somehow overcome working a trailer for 8 years while underpaying his assistants?

I have no problem making a change in coaching if it makes a difference.  However, making a change just for change sakes is the best way to become a bottom feeder program.  I agree with the general consesnsus among ALL OF US BULLS FANS that there needs to be some changes in staff and/or offensive philosophy but some of you want to fire everyone. If we do that then we'll just become like the bottom feeders in ORlando who are stuck overpaying a has been coach for respectability.

Oh more thing, in case you didn't "get it": we could won the game on Saturday, yet if you were a big time recruit at the game how inclined would you be to sign with a program that it's own fans forgot to show up for an early Saturday afternoon game? Who are you going to blame when that kids signs elsewhere?

the recuiting lazy quote rings true, we went after top qb's but we knew with our trailers they would not likely come

where is the second or even third tier yoeman QB's.  the guy who only threw for 1000 yds but was in a passing offense with poor recievers and good upside potential. pj was not that type he ran the wing t in HS and i don't think he nor guachtte or servino or king was top 100 qb comming out of HS.

ok we could not land the top 20 qb but where is the top 50 or top 75 or top 100 qb. or even the project pocket passing QB that did not quite fit our system.

i would say at the level we were going to be CUSA pj should have been the 4th or 5th qb on this team and should have been brought in more as an athlete than the #2 qb

just a fan's observation

Maybe some of you guys should apply for the job.... ::)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Oh btw, UL went through the same thing two years ago when everyone was complaining so much about the talent JL Smith brought in, that they ran a good coach out of town.

hmmmm, maybe my memory if failing but I seem to recall Michigan State running the good coach out of UL....straight to Lancing. I also don't remember people in Louisville being very happy that he left.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Maybe some of you guys should apply for the job.... ::)

as well as ...

Dead on!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118

Dear fans,

While the players and coaches really appreciate the support of the fans that bothered to show up this Saturday, ....  

Actually it's not even your choice. I KNOW that the team will get better next year. The question remains whether YOU can keep your part of the bargain.

Best wishes,

The Coaching Staff*

What a load of crap!  So now its the fans fault our football team stinks.  Riiiiiiiight.  My husband would be more than happy to replace any of the coaches on the staff and work 17 hour days for the honor of coaching football!  Please respond immediately for any coaching vacancies. Oh yeah, and he'll take the lousy salary too.

"Unreal expectations"?  All we ask is that you do not embarrass us.  And oh by the way, please don't agree to be on National TV every chance you get WHEN YOU STINK!

And if you are going to whine about the recruiting potential, then SOUTH FLORIDA had no business continuing the football effort or jumping to Div 1-A so quickly.

Put a competitive, high energy football team on the field and the fans will meet their end of the bargain.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Excellent response CB! Some of us board rats need a slice of reality pie from time to time.

Nope!  Don't wanna hear anything 'bout reality!  Reality on an internet message board...are you nuts man?!  I come here to escape reality and spout irrational displeasures or glean joy from players making the sacrifices for athletic glory preparing & playing a game that is in "reality" quite trivial to my life's main pursuits.  You call for reality/common sense.  Not I!  Give me the absurdity, lunacy, and complete fanaticism.  It is much more entertaining and wastes time better.