who will be team that beats men's b- team

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

people keep mentioning Capko becoming eligible, but folks, he is a non-scholarship player.  I can't see him being a difference maker against stiff competition.  In fact, it would make me a little angry if he were to get playing time in front of players we actually recruited.  Because that would tell me we aren't recruiting players who can play at this level.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• GarySJ

• The Sheriff

• E.T.

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We are shorthanded... if we need bodies on the floor, he will play... we played 3 walk ons last year, and we aren't in very much better roster position at the moment.

Guest HowieP1
people keep mentioning Capko becoming eligible, but folks, he is a non-scholarship player.  I can't see him being a difference maker against stiff competition.  In fact, it would make me a little angry if he were to get playing time in front of players we actually recruited.  Because that would tell me we aren't recruiting players who can play at this level.

I'd be pleased if Capko contributed and thrilled if he was a difference maker.

I know in football some of our very best players have started out as walk ons. The fact that they were willing to play for USF while paying their own way is a testament to their fortitude and ability.

Capko was accepted as a walk on at Florida. I don't know whether he was offered scholarships elsewhere. Evidently, he is willing to work hard and prove that he is capable to play for USF.

I do know that we offered a scholarship this year to a  player who elected instead to walk on as a center for Kansas because it was his local school.

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

That picture should be burned and never placed on our message board again! You broke my heart HowieP!

Guest HowieP1
That picture should be burned and never placed on our message board again! You broke my heart HowieP!

Why?

He LEFT the Gators to come to USF.

He could have stayed a walk on there as he was getting playing time.

It would be much worse IMO if I showed a picture of a USF player who went there.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Sherriff, he left the dark side to become a Jedi... nothing wrong with that ;D

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Hopefully, we'll get to that point where our players are good enough to transfer to that crapass school up North. I hate taking their walk-ons!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully, we'll get to that point where our players are good enough to transfer to that crapass school up North. I hate taking their walk-ons!

not if they help us win

Guest HowieP1

Fresno will be tough if they continue to rebound like this:

Rebound practice pays off

Bulldogs' road victory attributed to emphasis on hitting the boards.

By Vaughn McClure / The Fresno Bee

Monday, November 29, 2004

Murry Bartow was left scratching his head.

Bartow figured Fresno State was a young team with good athletes, but the East Tennessee State men's basketball coach never expected the Bulldogs to whip his team 90-73, like Fresno State did on the road Saturday afternoon.

And Bartow certainly didn't foresee his Buccaneers losing the rebounding battle by such a large margin.

"We knew we might struggle on the glass," Bartow said. "We just didn't know it would be as lopsided as it was."

The Bulldogs (2-0) demolished East Tennessee State on the boards to the tune of 57-38. Fresno State had 22 offensive rebounds, three less than the Buccaneers had defensively. Heck, the Bulldogs should have packed up the backboards and hauled them back to Fresno, being that they owned the glass.

"Defending and rebounding give you a chance to win championships," Fresno State coach Ray Lopes said. "That was a big key for us, to limit [East Tennessee State's] second- and third-shot opportunities. And once the game got going, we felt like we could really hurt them on the offensive glass.

"Twenty-two offensive boards? I'm really proud of that."

There was no secret to success, no magic rebounding potion Lopes slipped into the Bulldogs' water bottles before tip-off.

Lopes doesn't even use the "bubble-drill"  putting a plastic lid over the basket so the ball stays alive for rebounds  that much in practice anymore.

Saturday, the Bulldogs simply were relentless.

"These guys just really paid attention to rebounding and they really executed," Lopes said.

Five players collected three or more offensive boards against the Buccaneers: Mustafa Al-Sayyad (five), Carl Ross (four), Hector Hernandez (four), Jack Marlow (three) and Chris Berry (three). Al-Sayyad had 11rebounds total.

"We knew Mustafa could hurt us because of our lack of size," Bartow said. "We just didn't have an answer. They crushed us on the glass. For us, that wasn't a normal rebounding effort."

Bartow started 6-foot-8, 200-pound freshman Andrew Reed and 6-7, 265-pound junior college transfer Dillion Sneed up front. Both were athletic, but neither could compete with Al-Sayyad and Marlow, both 6-9 and senior veterans.

The Buccaneers' tallest player  6-9 junior forward Brad Nuckles  sat out the game with an ankle injury.

In Al-Sayyad's eyes, Fresno State did what it was supposed to do.

"There was an advantage for us because we were bigger," Al-Sayyad said. "We had to attack the boards with that advantage and that's what we did."

It might be more of the same for Fresno State on Friday when it hosts DivisionII Grand Canyon in the McCaffrey Classic, even though Grand Canyon has five players 6-8 or taller. A matchup with either South Florida or Mississippi Valley State on Saturday will provide a better measure of how good the Bulldogs are on the boards.

"We really emphasize in our practices the importance of rebounding," Lopes said. "I'm a big believer in rebounding. If we rebound, we have a chance."