It's official: Thank God for Basketball

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Why are people not ripping Louisville for their dismal attendance yesterday?

considering the great team and fan support they have why did their 42K seat stadium look almost as empty as USF's?

Weather? Holidays? Combination of both?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

people are just disappointed with the football season in general and want to gripe about whatever they can.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,804
  • Days Won:  213

Anyone who thought this season was going to be some miracle finish after we lost to Army is a bit dilusional. Yeah-- it could have happened and I know many of us always hope for the best. But we will always have people on this board who want to point out the obvious. It was a down year and in a down year you have trouble on defense, at QB, you name it-- there are holes to fill. What many fail to take into account is that we used very young guys to fill those holes and the experience they gained will have future payoffs. And when we start winning again, the same brilliant posters we see now will tell us again about the obvious-- that we have a great defense ro taht our new QB is the answer or that our great attendance is because we are winning.

We can gripe all we want about how many people showed for a T-Day weekend game but it seems fairly obvious why we had low turnout (and I won't go over these points again). The same people who expressed bad thoughts about our team whenever we don't win pile on whenever they see other things they can point to-- USF didn't do a good job advertising this game-- etc. Bottom line to me is that the game was available on TV and if you had relatives in town that you hadn't seen in a year-- well-- would you trek down to the stadium at 8am and drag them along or try not to rock the boat and just watch the game on the tube?

I don't know-- there are many things we can say are not right about USF football now because we are not winning like we used to and our fan base seems like it is petering out. But I think we all know that USF is just experiencing some serious growing pains. We don't have the team we did in 2002-- plain and simple-- but that doesn't mean we aren't on track to repeat that type of success soon. Those teams we beat were in down years during our up years. That will happen again-- it is how college football works if you stick with your plan and continue to do things the right way. It won't always be perfect, especially for a team that is only in its 8th year of even fielding a team. Yes-- we are a school with over 40K students on the rolls. That doesn't automatically mean we have the alumni base, fan base, MONEY, respect, tradition, or any of the other intangibles of other teams with similar sized institutions. Our school is 44 years old technically (classes first held in 1960). Unless we all pitch in and continue to support the school and help PROMOTE it ourselves, it will never reach the levels we all would like to see it reach.

As for hoops-- I hope you are correct Terry. But I think we all realize that beating the teams we play early isn't any sort of indicator of how the whole season is going to pan out.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

It is a valid excuse.  Thank you very much.

IMO it is not a good excuse as there are no good excuses for the dismal attendance....

i didnt watch the lville game but the attendance is listed at 37,617

if their fans didn't show that is piss poor as well.