Question to Fans...

usfgrad84

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The only decent win we had this year has been WVU. The only thing makes the win against FSU seem like a big win is because of what they used to be like. Beating a 6-6 team is not impressive by any means. The rest of our wins are against horrible competition. 2 wins against 1AA teams 2 wins against 1-6 conference teams and a win against a team that is transitioning from 1AA to 1A. Our losses have been bad losses with the exception of UC.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  901
  • Days Won:  0

so being a less than mediocre team i can't understnad all the dismay except for the same old lot of dismayed

• Content Count:  667

so being a less than mediocre team i can't understnad all the dismay except for the same old lot of dismayed

go back to the UCF message board, you closet knight fan.  we actually have expectations for our program at USF.

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

I am seeing a few people make the statement that even though we have had a poor season, that as a program we have "exceeded their expectations"

When people make this statement what do you mean?  The fact that we have gone to bowl games?  The fact that we are in the BE?

The only thing that has ever exceeded my expectations with any of our sports programs has been that we are in the BE.  In my book we have really only had one year in football that exceeded my expectations and that wass 2002.  Every other year has been sort of frustrating.  Even 2002 was frustrating.

As a football team we have never won a conference championship, never played in a major bowl.  We are a .500 team in conference play over our entire playing time. We are 2-2 in bowl games with our losses in those games being our first shutout and an embarrassing loss while our wins came against 2 llower level non-bcs teams. 

This is a mediocre team and program by any measure.  What expectations have we exceeded.  I am curious why people say this.

those people were fans before we had a football team, so they are just happy to have a football team.  they have no expectations, and they think the novelty of keeping a coach around from the time of the program's inception until whenever it accomplishes something (or, what now we are realizing is, IF we accomplish something).

the reasonable college football fan has expectations for its football program.  you are not alone, usfgrad.. we are out there.

I don't know. I graduated with my B.A. before football was even talked about. Got my grad degree while we had football, but still . . . if anything, I would think pre-football fans would be even more sensitive to falling into a funk of mediocrity as a program because that's what happened to basketball. Watching the Bulls play bball was painful. There were some great players like Dobras and Chucky Atkins, but for years there we just stunk it up. I remember being a student and lamenting our bball program as the losses mounted and post-season play went out the window. The last thing in the world I want is a repeat of that with our football team. But, guess what, we're on the express train right for it! That's what's driving me nuts. It doesn't have to be this way. I look at winning the BE title in football like I felt about going to the NCAAs in basketball. And getting close, but not getting there, year after year, with no real signs of progress . . . that just hurts.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

I am seeing a few people make the statement that even though we have had a poor season, that as a program we have "exceeded their expectations"

When people make this statement what do you mean?  The fact that we have gone to bowl games?  The fact that we are in the BE?

The only thing that has ever exceeded my expectations with any of our sports programs has been that we are in the BE.  In my book we have really only had one year in football that exceeded my expectations and that wass 2002.  Every other year has been sort of frustrating.  Even 2002 was frustrating.

As a football team we have never won a conference championship, never played in a major bowl.  We are a .500 team in conference play over our entire playing time. We are 2-2 in bowl games with our losses in those games being our first shutout and an embarrassing loss while our wins came against 2 llower level non-bcs teams. 

This is a mediocre team and program by any measure.  What expectations have we exceeded.  I am curious why people say this.

only underachievers would say this

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

those people were fans before we had a football team, so they are just happy to have a football team.  they have no expectations, and they think the novelty of keeping a coach around from the time of the program's inception until whenever it accomplishes something (or, what now we are realizing is, IF we accomplish something).

the reasonable college football fan has expectations for its football program.  you are not alone, usfgrad.. we are out there.

I don't know. I graduated with my B.A. before football was even talked about. Got my grad degree while we had football, but still . . . if anything, I would think pre-football fans would be even more sensitive to falling into a funk of mediocrity as a program because that's what happened to basketball. Watching the Bulls play bball was painful. There were some great players like Dobras and Chucky Atkins, but for years there we just stunk it up. I remember being a student and lamenting our bball program as the losses mounted and post-season play went out the window. The last thing in the world I want is a repeat of that with our football team. But, guess what, we're on the express train right for it! That's what's driving me nuts. It doesn't have to be this way. I look at winning the BE title in football like I felt about going to the NCAAs in basketball. And getting close, but not getting there, year after year, with no real signs of progress . . . that just hurts.

winning comes from the top and if prez or AD

• Content Count:  10,219

If most take a step back, and look at the last 3 years "frustrating" is the term that most comes to mind not mediocre.

we have not "taken advantage of great opportunities", we have lacked "consistancy"  in play, effort, and coaching.

mediocre to me means a losing season/no bowl game, we start the season hoping beyond hope to get to .500 and become bowl eligible.

mediocre is when your only hope is for morale victories. a 4 win season is a great year!

mediocre is when you rush the field when winning a 1aa game

What we all know is that this team has some talent (more than we have ever had) and our coaching staff seems year after year to be unable to maximize that talent in the second half of the season. There was a time that you could say we we were getting more wins that the talent we had, now the opposite is true.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Depends on how you look at it I guess. When you go 3-4 then 2-5 with the likelihood of another 3-4 conference record that's pretty mediocre to me.

• Content Count:  959

We have definitely gone backwards this year. WV is really our only quality win(FSU was great but they suck bad.) Maybe this is all we can be, a middle of the road team. I more have a problem with not being competitive in 3 games this year. That is unacceptable. People hate hearing it but its the truth.

• Content Count:  6,502

so r u arguing we're a less than mediocre team?  

Yes we are less than mediocre.  We could have and should have grown and improved over the past 3 years, butttttt NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 

These fans get what they cheer for.

Hell until the cuurent AD Doug Woolard does something to make a major change to the program I am going back to cheering for the school I grew up cheerung for:  The University of ALABAMA.

At least they make changes when they are wanted and needed.

Archived