Let's take a breather and get some perspective

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

do not throw the baby out with the bath water!

5 consecutive seasons bowl eligible.

3 consecutive 5-0 starts

steadily improving recruiting

"big wins" almost every season

I like the idea of us going to a fifth bowl in five years. I'm all for more hardware, as I think that sort of thing does positively impact recruiting. But, you have to be honest, the bowls we've been going to are just stank. The Sun Bowl had some history and name recognition, and by winning it we could have made a national statement. But, yeah, we got spanked prison-style by Oregon and their 4th string QB.

In terms of our great starts, look at who we've been playing. And, even if that competition is good, it all comes apart in conference play.

For me, that's what hurts more than anything. We can't compete in our own conference, and we're not new to it anymore. That's just getting tired. There should be no more excuses. We are NOT FSU, even if we beat them once. We are NOT UM, or UF, or any other powerhouse or traditional football school. And we won't be for a long time. And we may NEVER be them, because as we develop, so will they. As we win the BE title one day, they'll be adding more conference and NC hardware. We'll always be one (or more) steps behind them. I think replacing one of them and being part of the Big Three or changing the perception and becoming one of the Big Four is a pipe dream. It ain't gonna happen. Not any time soon. 20 years from now? I doubt it. 30 years from now? Maybe. But, that doesn't even matter. That's not our stated goal. Winning our conference is our stated goal. And we're not even close to doing that.

So, who do we hold responsible for not achieving this goal? It's got to be on somebody. And blaming them or, taking a more positive tone, addressing this shortfall , that's not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. IMHO.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  959

all of you....stop it

Stop what? Talking about USF football? Isn't that the point of coming on here?

If we'd have won, we'd all be talking about that, about how incredible it was to knock off two of the Big Three in the same year. If we'd have lost, but played with some heart and kept it close or at least made a good enough showing that the network didn't turn off the game in many parts of the country, we'd be talking about that. But those things didn't happen. Just as this seasons didn't happen as many of us had hoped/expected, and so it's reasonable that fans are going to talk about why they didn't happen and what can/should be done about it.

• Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

I took a breath...I then took a nap...and when I woke up I still realized that our coaching is absolutely horrendous

Did our coaches have a good scheme today?

Did our coaches make good in-game adjustments?

Did our coaches correct the mistakes from the previous weeks?

Did our coaches manage the game effectively?

The answer to all of those questions is NO. And the answers are the same week after week.

Ineffective game plans, bad play calling, no in-game adjustments...these are all the norm, not the exception

Take a breath and come back and tell me what positive trends you see.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

all of you....stop it

You're not the boss of me  :P

• Content Count:  667

I took a breath...I then took a nap...and when I woke up I still realized that our coaching is absolutely horrendous

that is hilarious and awesome because it's the story of the typical USF Fan.  I wake up every morning, grab a cup of coffee, log on to thebullspen.com and realize, "aw crap, nothing has changed.. this football program is like a dog chasing his own tail"

• Content Count:  3,307

that is hilarious and awesome because it's the story of the typical USF Fan.  I wake up every morning, grab a cup of coffee, log on to thebullspen.com and realize, "aw crap, nothing has changed.. this football program is like a dog chasing his own tail"

that is hilarious and awesome because it's the story of the typical USF Troll. You're just waiting for the day when you can take your victory lap and collect your high fives. Which you won't get.

Then you'll start ripping on the next guy and waiting for the day when you can take another victory lap and get more high fives. Which you still won't get.

• Content Count:  21,536
  • Days Won:  10

Back in 1997 and 1998 we all dreamed about a big time program.  Are we there, no but we are moving in that direction.  I waited to play a big time team at home (WVA, Kansas, but for sure a in state power house like Miami) and we were rewarded.  Now, we are better than 50 some teams, but we need to get down to business and focus on building a team that will set the tone. 

Donate more money, continue to win and get to a bowl and we will continue to build the program.  You are just now entering a period of slow development and plodding.  It is not fun but improvements are not measured by yards but by inches and we will need to fight and scratch for those inches.

Loyal fans who throw money at the program.

We have the base now give it time.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Here's my problem On the season. We went 5-0 against a schedule that many solid teams SHOULD go 5-0 against. Three of the teams were I-AA quality.

We then turn and get blown off the field in 4 losses.

Was part of that BJ's baptism by fire? sure. But to get your teeth kicked in 4 times really leaves me uneasy...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,017
  • Days Won:  109

do not throw the baby out with the bath water!

5 consecutive seasons bowl eligible.

3 consecutive 5-0 starts

steadily improving recruiting

"big wins" almost every season

Does this really put us in good company when 1/2 of Div 1 schools go to bowls?  If any one of these was a BCS bowl it would be something to get excited about.

• Content Count:  122

that is hilarious and awesome because it's the story of the typical USF Troll. You're just waiting for the day when you can take your victory lap and collect your high fives. Which you won't get.

Then you'll start ripping on the next guy and waiting for the day when you can take another victory lap and get more high fives. Which you still won't get.

Or your the typical USF apologist...to blind with your green and gold glasses to see that we are consistently out coached year in and year out. Is it our awesome finishes in the Big East that get you excited? Is it our ability to make changes during the game that thrill you? Is it the awesome conference record that gets your rocks off?

Oh wait...all of those are non-existent. Sorry that we are not loyal fans because we question the continual ineptitude of our coaching staff. Lets keep going doing it like were doing it, because that is definitely the answer. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the tree. More often that not, its our coaching staff that is getting pissed on...

Archived