I don't Care What Anyone Says

usfgrad84

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Kevin Patrick is not the special teams coach.  Patrick is the DL coach.  Hendrick is on the special teams.

Yeah that's my bad i always get those two mixed up. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

We can't have one player being the offense.  Anytime he has a bad day will be a loss.  I would like to see us go with a pro formation or an I formation, or maybe just mix it up through the game.  Doing the same thing over and over is all right if it works, but ineptitude isn't something that we should make a standard.

I think BJ will become a great qb for us, but I sure would like to see a new offense put in place.

GO BULLS!

The spread is fine we just need coaches that know how to coach and run it competently......

I think we need to move away from the spread. Here's why:

1. USF was one of the first schools to implement the spread. We did it b/c we could recruit players that fit the offense that most of the powerhouse programs did not want. We wanted kids with quicks, speed and were willing to change positions when they arrived at college. Today, EVERYONE runs the spread. Most of the SEC, Big 10 schools....hell even MICHIGAN is running the spread. The obvious impact is that there is lot more competition for the same type of players. We used to have some pretty good receivers...not great....but at least one or two players every year that teams had to be aware of....but we really haven't had a Deandrew Rubin type of WR in a LONG, LONG time.

2. The pendulum is beginning  to swing back to pro set offense that are more wide open as opposed to a pure spread.  The biggest reason is that teams of figuring out how to scheme and game plan against  the spread and the easy yards that were once there just by out-scheming people are just simply not there. For USF, that hurts b/c outside of big plays this season we have not been very effective driving the ball down the field.  Teams know what we are going to run, and with our simple, one dimensional offense most teams can easily stop us if they have the athletes.

3. Moving away from a pure spread makes us more BigEast ready for grinding out games and most importantly it spreads offensive production more equally along the team. USF used to run a pro style offense that was fun to watch, wide open but balance. Unfortunately that was back in the early days under Chad Barnhardt....

IMO, we can't just switch over to the a pro set....we would have to redo the roster....but it is time to start making it harder for team to defend us and move away from our gimmicky offense. I

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see us being much better than we are this year.  You have basically the same non-dyanmic receivers. A new tight end, the same non playmaking RBs.  I don't see much of a change than what we have seen the last 4 years

Great attitude. Everything *****. We won't ever contend for anything. Let's just give up.

We're not playing the games. We're just fans commenting on what we see. What does it matter if we give up? The problem seems to be that our players are giving up! And our coaches can't coach.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We can't have one player being the offense.  Anytime he has a bad day will be a loss.  I would like to see us go with a pro formation or an I formation, or maybe just mix it up through the game.  Doing the same thing over and over is all right if it works, but ineptitude isn't something that we should make a standard.

I think BJ will become a great qb for us, but I sure would like to see a new offense put in place.

GO BULLS!

The spread is fine we just need coaches that know how to coach and run it competently......

I think we need to move away from the spread. Here's why:

1. USF was one of the first schools to implement the spread. We did it b/c we could recruit players that fit the offense that most of the powerhouse programs did not want. We wanted kids with quicks, speed and were willing to change positions when they arrived at college. Today, EVERYONE runs the spread. Most of the SEC, Big 10 schools....hell even MICHIGAN is running the spread. The obvious impact is that there is lot more competition for the same type of players. We used to have some pretty good receivers...not great....but at least one or two players every year that teams had to be aware of....but we really haven't had a Deandrew Rubin type of WR in a LONG, LONG time.

2. The pendulum is beginning  to swing back to pro set offense that are more wide open as opposed to a pure spread.  The biggest reason is that teams of figuring out how to scheme and game plan against  the spread and the easy yards that were once there just by out-scheming people are just simply not there. For USF, that hurts b/c outside of big plays this season we have not been very effective driving the ball down the field.  Teams know what we are going to run, and with our simple, one dimensional offense most teams can easily stop us if they have the athletes.

3. Moving away from a pure spread makes us more BigEast ready for grinding out games and most importantly it spreads offensive production more equally along the team. USF used to run a pro style offense that was fun to watch, wide open but balance. Unfortunately that was back in the early days under Chad Barnhardt....

IMO, we can't just switch over to the a pro set....we would have to redo the roster....but it is time to start making it harder for team to defend us and move away from our gimmicky offense. I

Moving away from the spread and the fallout could seriously damage the program IMO.  The problem is the lack of developing players properly for it and the terrible application of the offense.  I HATE HATE HATE HATE to use video game analogies but our offense really looks like a CPU spread offense set to rookie in the NCAA football series.  Yuck, I feel dirty just for typing that. 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think we necessarily need to move away from the spread, but we need to do some things to make the spread more effective. Even when we spread the field we rarely do anything out of the spread other than the read option. When we do something a lot of times what we try seems silly with our personnel. That sweep that Lamar ran was telegraphed from the start and he never even tried to turn up field. That play has worked since Grothe ran it with Taurus in his first game.  I still don't understand why we can't run effective play action passes. Maybe I don't understand how the spread works and play action passes or screens don't work with this type of offense. Maybe slants or passes to the TE more than once a game don't work from the spread. Other teams will sometimes use 2 backs. When WVU had Slaton and White running it, everyone knew Schmitt as well. I just don't understand what we do with the spread. Whatever it is, sure doesn't seem to effective against teams with athletic defenses. Come to think of it,we have an athletic defense and WVU never was particularly effective against us.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Our spread is too dependent on the QB position. We need a spread that SPREADS the responsibility of moving the ball forward to more players.

I also think a bigger and stronger O-line will always help

• Content Count:  1,400

We won't win against better defenses with this offense.  We need to get all the skill positions involved to keep the defenses from keying on Daniels.  Make him one dimensional and this offense is easy to stop.

I do agree with you there I didnt like how much we relied on Matt before and that was with all his experience I especially dont like how much we put on BJ's shoulders. If only we had an offensive Line we could get some kind of running game going but it always seems that our running back are having to make someone miss behind the line of scrimage as soon as the ball is handed of.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't like the spread as a base offense. it could be used at times but it should be more of the hurry up style. miami caught us off guard a couple of times by running quick plays. we used to run hurry up back in the day.

we have a smaller offensive line because we want one. last year they had the o-linemen lose weight so they could block downfield better.

• Content Count:  468

We won't win against better defenses with this offense.  We need to get all the skill positions involved to keep the defenses from keying on Daniels.  Make him one dimensional and this offense is easy to stop.

Well, there always needs to be better players coming into your program to improve or stay at the top - if that is where you happen to be. However, how can you not be excited about Daniels? Seriously, bad luck Grothe went down, but now he's gotten on field experience. You couldn't ask for a better start for a freshman QB that was basically thrown into the position before it was thought he'd even be playing.

Decent line, good RB and WR to take the heat off of Daniels and defenses will be wondering who to key on. I know if those things are in place, I'd hate to deal with what could become and incredibly explosive threat week-in and week-out.

Archived