UM football to face more Bulls, less Gators in scheduling future

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

If there was a way to actually over see this happens, I think it would be a great tradition. There are some great little towns in between and probably wouldn't even know they exist otherwise. Also great restaurants, one that is a must is somewhere near G-Ville I think but in an old mansion and has some of the best fried chicken and fried green tomatoes ever!

My father used to always tell me great stories of how they used to have to take 441 to get anywhere in the sate. I know there are a few more but that is the only one I can remember that goes in to UF. But we did this going to Florida-Georgia game in Jax and even though you have to watch your speed. There are some great little towns you go through and some really good road food. ESPECIALLY boiled peanuts! When ever you see them on the side of the road cooking them in a keg it is a good sign!

Great idea, but will never happen, although you can still drive through them on your way over if you are interested in Florida history and scenery. Another great drive I have always thought, although dangerous, is the one across central Florida through, I think it's Lake Wales, and some orange factories. Also some dude ranch, but the scenery is different from what you will ever see just driving on I-95 or I-75 and I-4. Still haven't drove up US-19 I think it is? Hear that is a nice drive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  239

Interesting conversation.

I hope the series continues, hopefully USF can win some of the games.

I mean, I'm going to be watching my Bulls on ABC in NYC today. That's not too shabby considering it is really the first meeting between the teams when the nation knows who USF is.

If USF gets going in conference to match its out of conference success, this might end up being a marquee game. Might.

• Content Count:  4,879

If USF gets going in conference to match its out of conference success, this might end up being a marquee game. Might.

this IMHO is the key.  IF Bulls and Canes both come into this game as top 10, conference winning teams over the next 3 years, ABC will want to extend the series with some serious bucks.  Especially if FSU slide continues and UF/FSU game becomes a perinnial blowout.

• Content Count:  1,204

I have no problem with Miami moving on after this series is over, but so much talk is premature.  We don't know how USF or Miami fans will feel about this game after 2013 comes and goes.  A series of tight, tense games between the two can change many things and if it means more money for Miami one way or the other and the fans want it then it continues.

I'm just glad that the Canes continue to be the boldest big name college team in the state when it comes to OOC scheduling.  They were the only ones that didn't balk when USF came calling and they knew that we weren't a pushover - but that's also why they scheduled us.  FSU only did so to boost their own stadium attendance this year and we don't even get the Gators in Tampa. 

As for Miami's rivalries, I understand the FSU rivalry.  I also get the VT one.  Those are now in conference and the other major one listed by Hurricane Mutiny is ND and they're not anywhere on UM's upcoming schedule.  So I wouldn't shut the door on this game developing nor would I say it's a shoe-in to do so, but five games down the road is a long time and passions can run deep with such a late game.  Both teams could really spoil the others' national aspirations, though it is more likely that Miami would be in BCS title talk at this point.  If the Bulls play spoilers a couple of times then the passions change, especially if we spoil Miami and then the next year the Canes have a shot to spoil us.

As I said, no guarantees and it's up to Miami what they want to do down the road.  I appreciate that they've scheduled us for such a long series.  I really like the fact that their AD understands where we're coming from because Miami had to endure scheduling issues when they were growing up in a big way in the late 70s and early 80s under Schnellenberger. 

And money does matter.  If this is an exciting nationally televised game then ABC can get involves in paying off both schools in a contract, as SRQ said.  I doubt Miami leaves several million in a TV contract at the table to play the game annually if ABC or even another network wants it.  Fact is that people nationally watch Miami and the more rivalry games they have that are an annual event, the better for national TV - especially if FSU keeps stinking. 

Ultimately time will tell.  Strong ratings and good games can change many things.

Archived