UM football to face more Bulls, less Gators in scheduling future

Brad

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

There's a couple points that no one has mentioned:

1) The gators are a bunch of p*ssys. They're happy with their cupcake schedule and 7-8 home games a year.

2) FSU-Miami isn't going to occur on Labor Day anymore (according to FSU administration)....it was ESPN's doings this year

3) USF will probably never really have a TRUE OOC rival, since they came about so late in the football era. The best bet would be to restart scheduling UCF, since they're eventually going to rise up one day and be a legit team (once that school gets it's **** in order)

4) Did I mention that UF is a bunch of little girls?

I somewhat agree with all but # 3.

UcIF is not a rivalry.  It's a floundering program that had hoped to use us as a stepping stone, but failed.  Lets move on!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I have an easy solution. Move Boston College to the Big East and USF to the ACC, where both teams rightfully belong.  ;D

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

not to hijack the thread, but since u brought it up...

acc already has 2 florida teams, we belong in the sec anyway, LOL

One step at a time.  ;)

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

After next year's game in Miami (if Bulls make it a sellout), the economics of the series may be compelling enough that UM will want to continue the series. 

This would be a big help.

And USF winning helps make their argument null.

While I always admire E.T.'s stubborn support of his alma mater, he believes in the "emotional" impact, as if a USF win will somehow cause the Miami administration and fans to swoon and schedule USF annually for the next decade.

As for me, I'm sticking to the facts and the numbers.  I know UM, I know the sports industry (it's my job), and the game will not be played annually.  It has nothing to do with scheduling USF, it has everything to do with scheduling nationally.

Well your roster consists of 80% Florida kids so I don't know what scheduling nationally has to do with it and if you keep losing out on recruits to USF you many need to play us in hope that you can pull off a win once and a while.  :stirpot :clubs

Well, it's easy to criticize when you only analyze one factor at a time.

The overall success of UM football is not just based upon where our recruits come from.  Yes, recruiting South Florida is paramount, but Miami has historically pulled key recruits when we targeted guys who were interested in going out-of-state.  If you ever saw our Chicago Hurricane Club events (and the list of past players with Chicago connections), you would get a sense of how we continue to use certain regions for not only recruiting, but alum fundraising as well.

Also, look at our history on QBs.  The state of Florida has not really been a hotbed for pro-style QBs.

More importantly, what Miami did in the 80s and 90s was to capitalize on a national schedule and national prominence.  Miami was one of the top 5 colleges for merchandise sales in the 80s and 90s, which is impressive when you realize how small our student body is.  Miami was able to sell a lot of tickets in opposing stadiums (largely due to hate, I admit), which is a good factor for convincing opposing schools to schedule us, even if they don't like us.  And Miami has always been a good draw on TV, which also convinces opposing schools to play us, because they know that their home game will probably net them a nice OOC TV deal.

Over half of Miami's students do not come from SoFla.  Most of our alums live in places other than SoFla.  That may not be the case for other schools in Florida, but it is for us.  We are a national program, we need to be a national program.

If all we cared about was recruiting SoFla and selling out our stadium, we would simply schedule FAU, FIU, UCF, and USF every year.  We cannot afford to be a regional program.

Oh, and this year's OOC schedule was FAMU, UCF, USF, and Oklahoma.  Good lord, Paul Dee was a horrible Athletic Director.

I don't really care if this series is continued every year or not.  We don't beg for game unline some other schools.  If the series is cancelled, so be it.  I am sure FSU will schedule us again.

But I take issue with you lumping USF in with FAU, FIU, etc.  I think you purposely did that to try to bolster your argument.  You know full well those are not BCS teams, and it is FAR more beneficial for Miami to play BCS teams, of which USF is.

If Miami doesn't want to play, big deal, so be it, but please refrain from equating a USF series with one with FAU, etc.  That is just ridiculous my friend.

My hunch is that this series will be bigger than you care to admit.

• Content Count:  276

I don't really care if this series is continued every year or not.  We don't beg for game unline some other schools.  If the series is cancelled, so be it.  I am sure FSU will schedule us again.

But I take issue with you lumping USF in with FAU, FIU, etc.  I think you purposely did that to try to bolster your argument.  You know full well those are not BCS teams, and it is FAR more beneficial for Miami to play BCS teams, of which USF is.

If Miami doesn't want to play, big deal, so be it, but please refrain from equating a USF series with one with FAU, etc.  That is just ridiculous my friend.

My hunch is that this series will be bigger than you care to admit.

Wow.  Insecure much?  I mentioned those 4 schools because they are the ones that are geographically closest to Miami.

• Content Count:  3,827

I have an easy solution. Move Boston College to the Big East and USF to the ACC, where both teams rightfully belong.  ;D

Winner winner chicken dinner!

(Oh and Hurricane Mutiny, tell Brian France I said that this whole Hendrick thing is getting really old. kthnx.)

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I somewhat agree with all but # 3.

UcIF is not a rivalry.  It's a floundering program that had hoped to use us as a stepping stone, but failed.  Lets move on!

I agree with topic #3... to me a rivalry is someone you hate and they hate you... now while we don't like Miami or there fans we are far from the hate stage. Now I really hate UCiF and their fans and they hate us...

Sometimes you can't choose your in-state rival since its mostly based on the region you are in they become automatic regardless of the other teams strength. There are a few major trophy rivalry's where one team is a BCS team that kicks some major ass and the other one is a door mat that manages to win every 20-30 years.

If Miami is a wash out and we can't goat them into a rivalry then we need to just schedule UCiF every other season and throw a trophy into the game. Because like it or not ESPN and other sports news agencies will appoint us an in state rival whether we like it or not.

Now I would much rather have Miami as our rival, there is a lot of potential to have a rivalry... I think we are seeing some grumbling from the Miami fans because we are not a sure win and can go toe to toe with them.

• Content Count:  276

I agree with topic #3... to me a rivalry is someone you hate and they hate you... now while we don't like Miami or there fans we are far from the hate stage. Now I really hate UCiF and their fans and they hate us...

Sometimes you can't choose your in-state rival since its mostly based on the region you are in they become automatic regardless of the other teams strength. There are a few major trophy rivalry's where one team is a BCS team that kicks some major *** and the other one is a door mat that manages to win every 20-30 years.

If Miami is a wash out and we can't goat them into a rivalry then we need to just schedule UCiF every other season and throw a trophy into the game. Because like it or not ESPN and other sports news agencies will appoint us an in state rival whether we like it or not.

Now I would much rather have Miami as our rival, there is a lot of potential to have a rivalry... I think we are seeing some grumbling from the Miami fans because we are not a sure win and can go toe to toe with them.

Most of what Dixie says is spot-on.

But Miami fans are not grumbling because "USF is not a sure win and can go toe to toe with us".  That's silly.  We WANT a rival to not be a sure win.  The most gratifying thing each season is beating FSU by single digits.

I've tried to explain it before.  Miami has its rivalries set already, even if we don't play annually.  UF since the 1930s (Foley won't be AD forever).  Notre Dame since the independent days.  FSU since the 1950s.  Virginia Tech since the independent days and annually since the early 1990s.

Miami doesn't need another rival.  USF probably does.  The fact that Miami wants to play a more national schedule (and we follow-through, unlike UF circa 1988) has nothing to do with USF.

It's not about USF.  It's all about UM.  You can't hate us for having our perspective and priorities, and for following through with them.  You might be able to jump to a BCS conference in a decade, but building history and traditions takes some of us much longer and we tend to cherish those things that we built over decades of effort.

• Content Count:  2,558

If we start a rivalry with UCF the trophy should be the use of I-4 for traveling to the following years game.  If you lose you have to take the back roads, If you win you are allowed to use I-4

Archived