UM football to face more Bulls, less Gators in scheduling future

Brad

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,037
  • Days Won:  29

I have no problems with a twice-a-decade series with USF, but this will not be an annual game.

After this series, I would be happy to play UM 2 more times in the decade. Twice every 6 years would be great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second, you are putting way, way too much emphasis on the number of seats sold, and not enough on WHICH seats are sold.  Quite frankly, a "sellout" will be a bigger benefit to STADIUM revenues (parking, concessions, etc.) than to the University of Miami, which does not own JRS and pays rent (which is higher for bigger games).  The ONE thing that is beneficial to UM is when we are able to sell more BOOSTER-CONTRIBUTION seats, which are almost exclusively in the lower bowl and the club level.  The problem that we are having in a bigger stadium is that, while we know what our conference schedule is going to be, we do not have a compelling OOC schedule (at least to OUR fans).

Great points OC.

Pays higher rent for bigger games ?

How do they decide what are bigger games? By seats sold ? How much more ?

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,073
  • Days Won:  488

I would say it's too bad Miami doesn't want to extend our series, but we're kinda in the same boat.  Why play any tougher schedule than we have too?

Because we keep having to schedule cream puffs at the beginning of the year.  We need a tougher team to help with our SOS to catch the voters attention (only if we keep winning).  The BE still gets no respect, but if we can beat some of the better schools in other conferences like the ACC, Big 10, SEC, Big 12 and the PAC 10 it will help us out in the long run.  

Have you looked at Boise State's strength of schedule?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

After next year's game in Miami (if Bulls make it a sellout), the economics of the series may be compelling enough that UM will want to continue the series. 

This would be a big help.

And USF winning helps make their argument null.

While I always admire E.T.'s stubborn support of his alma mater, he believes in the "emotional" impact, as if a USF win will somehow cause the Miami administration and fans to swoon and schedule USF annually for the next decade.

As for me, I'm sticking to the facts and the numbers.  I know UM, I know the sports industry (it's my job), and the game will not be played annually.  It has nothing to do with scheduling USF, it has everything to do with scheduling nationally.

• Content Count:  6,907
  • Days Won:  22

While I understand the situation of Miami fans. the reality is that scheduling is driving by two main points.

#1 Try to have as many home games that would generate extra income.

#2 Have ganes that will allow you access to BCS championship games.

In the case of Florida they can sell out their 90k stadium for any team they bring in and thus can afford to pay out for home games only.Miami is not in that position.

In the second point while I can see Miami scheduling Oklahoma and Ohio State which they have done they are also not going to overliad themselves with those types of teams.

I dont think you will see the tarp at JRS for all games. They didnt have it this year for Oklahoma and i highly doubt that they will do so vs FSU nor USF next year.

At the end of the day is correct this series will continue if its financially positive for both teams and certaintly driving to Tampa is less expensive than flying to UCLA, Ohio state or any other team UM would choose to replace the Bulls with. But if it ends so be it is not the end of the world for neither team, just like it wasnt for UM when UF chose to stop playing them yearly.

• Content Count:  276

Second, you are putting way, way too much emphasis on the number of seats sold, and not enough on WHICH seats are sold.  Quite frankly, a "sellout" will be a bigger benefit to STADIUM revenues (parking, concessions, etc.) than to the University of Miami, which does not own JRS and pays rent (which is higher for bigger games).  The ONE thing that is beneficial to UM is when we are able to sell more BOOSTER-CONTRIBUTION seats, which are almost exclusively in the lower bowl and the club level.  The problem that we are having in a bigger stadium is that, while we know what our conference schedule is going to be, we do not have a compelling OOC schedule (at least to OUR fans).

Great points OC.

Pays higher rent for bigger games ?

Go BULLS !!!

Well, E.T., I didn't expect you to have a question on this one, but here it is.  "Bigger games", from a rent/cost standpoint, are determined by ticket sales.  The more tickets that are sold, the more that JRS charges us for staffing, including clean-up.

And Cuban, the reason that the tarps were not up for Oklahoma is that we had already sold many of those seats BEFORE the tarping decision was made by Kirby Hocutt this summer, and we could not relocate those fans into other seats, as ticket demand for that ONE game was high.  As you probably noticed, we didn't sell those seats for ANY other game, we relocated fans to comparably-price seats.  Which were plentiful.

The tarps will NOT be removed for any other games, including FSU this upcoming year.  Feel free to consult TicketMaster when tickets go on sale.

What Miami is doing at JRS is not an isolated incident.  We are REMOVING CAPACITY at Daytona International Speedway.

Welcome to the new economy.  Without corporate sales, expect to see more of this.

--The fact that an in-state team has enough demand to sell a bunch of our cheapest seats is not a huge economic factor that benefits UM.  One of our biggest problems over the last couple of decades was when UF demanded an allocation of 25,000 seats.  Over 10,000 seats that Miami couldn't sell to its own Hurricane Club at a premium.

Does UM's season tix change that dramaticly season to season ?

Go BULLS !!!

Well, E.T., I didn't expect you to have a question on this one, but here it is.  "Bigger games", from a rent/cost standpoint, are determined by ticket sales.  The more tickets that are sold, the more that JRS charges us for staffing, including clean-up.

Makes sense, didn't think the attendance jumped that much.

Our contract with RayJay is the same for the season as we are renting the entire stadium.

• Content Count:  7,890

After next year's game in Miami (if Bulls make it a sellout), the economics of the series may be compelling enough that UM will want to continue the series. 

While I always admire E.T.'s stubborn support of his alma mater, he believes in the "emotional" impact, as if a USF win will somehow cause the Miami administration and fans to swoon and schedule USF annually for the next decade.

As for me, I'm sticking to the facts and the numbers.  I know UM, I know the sports industry (it's my job), and the game will not be played annually.  It has nothing to do with scheduling USF, it has everything to do with scheduling nationally.

Well your roster consists of 80% Florida kids so I don't know what scheduling nationally has to do with it and if you keep losing out on recruits to USF you many need to play us in hope that you can pull off a win once and a while.  :stirpot :clubs

The thinking is this: Why add a difficult late-season matchup every year (three of the five will be in Tampa) against a school that is formidable? What if UM goes through a year in national championship contention but has its chances ruined by a nonconference school it doesn't need to play? (Remember, FSU lost at home to USF this season.) And why not schedule seven home games annually instead?

But it seems UM's reasons(according to the article) of not playing USF are very similar to UF's reason not to play UM.

8-)

Archived