Phil Steele Bowl Projections

cmhatter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

ONly problem with charlotte is the date.  12/26, blah

We won't go to the Gator Bowl. It'll either be internet pizza bowl or Meineke Car Bowl. uugh.

There is a chance that we could go to the Gator Bowl. Obviously, we'd need to win out and then have some chips fall into place for that to happen, but there is a slight chance for that.

I'd love to go back to Charlotte. That was a very well run bowl week. Birmingham would be good becuase you're getting an SEC opponent.

Chips that must fall:

1) USF wins out

2) Pitt loses out

3) Rutgers beats West Virginia

Then the folks in Jacksonville would be able to select from West Virginia, USF, and Pitt.  When evaluating teams they want - ranked teams with national images that travel very well.  They may not get all three in one team.

WVU has a national image and travel well, but likely won't be ranked if they beat Pitt but lose to Rutgers.

Pitt has a national image and may still be ranked even with losses to WVU and Cincy, but doesn't travel very well.

USF could be ranked by beating Miami and U Conn, and the FSU game shows how well we can travel for a decent game in state, but we don't have a national image.

Of course, it also matters who the ACC opponent is (won't be FSU or Miami, especially if USF wins this week)... I would expect Virginia Tech or the loser of the ACC Championship game.

If Pittsburgh wins tomorrow night, I believe this is all moot as both USF and WVU would be mathematically eliminated from the Gator Bowl contention.  I can't locate the source, but several years ago I saw a news article (and posted it here, I think) that indicated there is a two-win rule in the Big East bowls.  (Not the Gator Bowl contract, but a conference rule).  A 6-1 team has to be selected over a 4-3 team... Pitt beating WVU would mean either Cincy or Pitt will be 6-1 and the best USF or WVU could be is 4-3.

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

Or the longshot that both Pitt and Cinnci go BCS

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Thanks Jim. I know it hinges on Pitt and us winning 2 games, but anything can happen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,511
  • Days Won:  35

We won't go to the Gator Bowl. It'll either be internet pizza bowl or Meineke Car Bowl. uugh.

There is a chance that we could go to the Gator Bowl. Obviously, we'd need to win out and then have some chips fall into place for that to happen, but there is a slight chance for that.

I'd love to go back to Charlotte. That was a very well run bowl week. Birmingham would be good becuase you're getting an SEC opponent.

Unless you plan on getting to Charlotte on the 23rd, don't expect it to be like it was in 2006. This is a list of events.

Monday 12/21

Welcome Reception at Strike City

4:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Tuesday 12/22

Levine Children's Hospital Visit

9:00 am - 10:00 am

Spouses’ Holiday Party at Thompson's Children's Home

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Team Outing – Charlotte Bobcats Game

7:05 pm tipoff

Wednesday 12/23

Team Outing – Lowe’s Motor Speedway*

10:00 am – 2:00 pm

Spouses’ Spa Outing – Specialty Shops on the Park

11:00 am - 3:00 pm

Children’s Outing – Sports Connection

11:00 am - 2:00 pm

Coaches Reception

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

* - Subject to change depending on the weather

Thursday 12/24

Spouses' Outing - Belk Shopping Trip

11:00 am - 3:00 pm

Reschedule date for Team Outing to Lowe's Motor Speedway Outing

Friday 12/25

ACC Stadium Walkthrough

TBA

Big East Stadium Walkthrough

TBA

NCAA Official Meeting

TBA

Saturday 12/26

RBC Bank Tailgate & Pep Rally

11:00 am – Kickoff

Meineke Car Care Bowl – Bank of America Stadium

4:30 pm

The only events would be tailgating/pep rally, but that is the day of the game. Honestly, looking at out options outside of the Gator Bowl, I believe B-Ham will be the most fun, especially since we will be assured of playing an SEC team. The SEC has 9 Bowl Tie-ins and will be receiving a 10th with a second BCS bowl bid. As of today there are 10 bowl eligible teams in the SEC out of 12 total teams, with Vandy and MSU eliminated from postseason contention. With 10 eligible teams all of them will be taken to fulfill the SEC's bowl bids.

Archived