Offense and a needed change

Bullsfan2000

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,070
  • Days Won:  19

Mike,

You are right except that 90% of the great teams have great running backs, TEs, and WRs and use them.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

Brian Kelly has worked out good.

What conference is Central Michigan in the MAC?

Yeah, and they have Dan LeFevour, a fifth-year senior QB, recruited by Brian Kelly, who was lighting it up the same time Grothe was. At 6-3 and 235, he will get drafted this year.  He has also passed Grothe in total yards from scrimmage.  The CMU offense is the same offense that Brian Kelly developed there when he turned that program around from a perennial loser to a "MAC juggernaut" (is that an oxymoron?).  He did take them from last to first in three short years.

and that's why we should have looked at their OC last year. he had 2 successful years at CMU. not 2 terrible years at AZ and then unemployment. Their offense is very similar. Their QB is their leading rusher as well.

The problem is...if you bring in this guy and the offense isn't good, then you're on here complaining about why we didn't bring in an experienced coach. Central Michigan sucks, sorry, if we played in that league, Canales would look like a god among mortal offensive coordinators. Again, I have to remind everyone 2 of our 3 losses were to top-10 teams. It's not like we are a horrible team in need of a major overhaul.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Yeah, and they have Dan LeFevour, a fifth-year senior QB, recruited by Brian Kelly, who was lighting it up the same time Grothe was. At 6-3 and 235, he will get drafted this year.  He has also passed Grothe in total yards from scrimmage.  The CMU offense is the same offense that Brian Kelly developed there when he turned that program around from a perennial loser to a "MAC juggernaut" (is that an oxymoron?).  He did take them from last to first in three short years.

and that's why we should have looked at their OC last year. he had 2 successful years at CMU. not 2 terrible years at AZ and then unemployment. Their offense is very similar. Their QB is their leading rusher as well.

The problem is...if you bring in this guy and the offense isn't good, then you're on here complaining about why we didn't bring in an experienced coach. Central Michigan *****, sorry, if we played in that league, Canales would look like a god among mortal offensive coordinators. Again, I have to remind everyone 2 of our 3 losses were to top-10 teams. It's not like we are a horrible team in need of a major overhaul.

We did bring in an experienced OC and he was fired from his last job just like the one before him. Canales was OC at AZ for 2 years and didn't have an offense that ranked higher than #110. Gregory was fired from his OC position at Ohio. They both had experience, they just proved that they weren't real good at it.

You can't compare how good a coach is by saying Canales could look like a god playing against Mac teams with a BE team. 2 different levels. That's like saying Raheem morris would look like a god against the Florida Tuskers.

I'm not suggesting we should fire him. I just wasn't thrilled with the hire from the get go.

We have a top 25 defense and the #56 rated scoring offense. It's not like there is no room for improvement.

The only reason I got involved in this thread was to point out the fact that there are plenty of good assistants that make less than ours. I'm tired of the low salary pool excuse our fans use.

• Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

The problem is...if you bring in this guy and the offense isn't good, then you're on here complaining about why we didn't bring in an experienced coach. Central Michigan *****, sorry, if we played in that league, Canales would look like a god among mortal offensive coordinators. Again, I have to remind everyone 2 of our 3 losses were to top-10 teams. It's not like we are a horrible team in need of a major overhaul.

We did bring in an experienced OC and he was fired from his last job just like the one before him. Canales was OC at AZ for 2 years and didn't have an offense that ranked higher than #110. Gregory was fired from his OC position at Ohio. They both had experience, they just proved that they weren't real good at it.

You can't compare how good a coach is by saying Canales could look like a god playing against Mac teams with a BE team. 2 different levels. That's like saying Raheem morris would look like a god against the Florida Tuskers.

I'm not suggesting we should fire him. I just wasn't thrilled with the hire from the get go.

We have a top 25 defense and the #56 rated scoring offense. It's not like there is no room for improvement.

The only reason I got involved in this thread was to point out the fact that there are plenty of good assistants that make less than ours. I'm tired of the low salary pool excuse our fans use.

OK, so why would CMU's OC step up to the next level for the roughly same amount of money? If he continues to dominate weak MAC teams, he will eventually get a huge pay day from someone with more money. If he comes here and isn't good, then he gets no big pay day, and is labeled a bust. I see what you are saying, but to an extent, it does go back to money.

CJL doesn't sit around thinking about who he could hire that would be easy, he gets paid to win. More than that, he is an athlete and a competitor, he wants to win. He hired what in his mind was the best guy he could get for the money that he had. Maybe he was wrong about that, only time will tell. You say Canales failed at AZ, he also had horrible QBs and multiple injuries. He was extremely good here in his first stint, so if you go back to those days, it's like hiring someone with success at the mid-major level. He also helped develop Philip Rivers while at NC State and Santana Moss with the NY Jets. The guy has a pretty impressive resume except for that time at AZ, so maybe that is the anomaly, not the rest of his career.

I am not 100% on the Chico train, just pointing out that CJL is doing everything he thinks is right to win, and if he had unlimited funds, he very well may have made a different hire.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

This thread had so much promise, but it quickly disintigrated into the usual money, experience, etc.... pissing contest.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

OK, so why would CMU's OC step up to the next level for the roughly same amount of money? If he continues to dominate weak MAC teams, he will eventually get a huge pay day from someone with more money. If he comes here and isn't good, then he gets no big pay day, and is labeled a bust. I see what you are saying, but to an extent, it does go back to money.

CJL doesn't sit around thinking about who he could hire that would be easy, he gets paid to win. More than that, he is an athlete and a competitor, he wants to win. He hired what in his mind was the best guy he could get for the money that he had. Maybe he was wrong about that, only time will tell. You say Canales failed at AZ, he also had horrible QBs and multiple injuries. He was extremely good here in his first stint, so if you go back to those days, it's like hiring someone with success at the mid-major level. He also helped develop Philip Rivers while at NC State and Santana Moss with the NY Jets. The guy has a pretty impressive resume except for that time at AZ, so maybe that is the anomaly, not the rest of his career.

I am not 100% on the Chico train, just pointing out that CJL is doing everything he thinks is right to win, and if he had unlimited funds, he very well may have made a different hire.

The guy makes $90k less than Chico. It's not roughly the same amount of money. It's almost half what Canales makes.

We were 1-aa when he was OC here. That's nothing like mid-major.

I don't know about the injuries but when he was with AZ their offenses ranked 116-80-105 in scoring offense. The 3 years after he left, they have ranked 56-24-27.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Mike,

You are right except that 90% of the great teams have great running backs, TEs, and WRs and use them.

not always...who is Texas' RB, can you honestly name him off the top of your head?

we have really good WRs. 

• Content Count:  17,070
  • Days Won:  19

I did say 90%. This year Texas doesn't have a running back. That is one year. If they don't find one next year they will have 3 losses. We haven't had a rb for 4 years.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know about the injuries but when he was with AZ their offenses ranked 116-80-105 in scoring offense. The 3 years after he left, they have ranked 56-24-27.

Hard to argue with that.  The problem is I don't think Leavitt did make the best hire he could've with Canales....it was just the easy hire.  I mean how can you possibly look at the guy's resume and say he would be the best hire for the money?? 

Archived