My honest game analysis (for those who only think I am negative)

RichmondBull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,056
  • Days Won:  488

Willie,

We won this one.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

CJL said on the post game that one reason he went for it on 4th down was that he did not want to kick a field goal and then have to kick off and risk having that guy return another one.

• Content Count:  724

CJL said on the post game that one reason he went for it on 4th down was that he did not want to kick a field goal and then have to kick off and risk having that guy return another one.

gaaaaarsh! jim leavitt be so sm sm sm smart...

Um, ever think about KICKING AWAY FROM THE GUY????  Or how about one better....PLAY WELL ON SPECIAL TEAMS! 

gotta love the genius that is jim leavitt

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Special teams is awful, there is simply no doubt.  However, grading on the curve that they set, they did OK tonight.  Delbert had a couple of awful punts, but when the game was well in hand nailed one to pen UL back on their own 3!  Seriously though, they did a nice job covering kicks (and placing them, which obviously made coverage better).  Seemed to have the right personnel in the right positions - didn't waste any timeouts on special teams, that I recall.

I did take away two pretty substantial negatives, and I think they have plagued USF for as long as I have been a fan:

1) Clock management.  We get it first and goal with 0:26 in the first half.  The clock has stopped to move the chains and we decide to burn a TO?  What is that about?  Why not call a simple running play and if it doesn't work burn the TO.  You have more downs than you can use anyway.  To me, our coaching staff seems to do a great job firing the team up, but sometimes the excitement creates chaos and that is a bad thing in those clock management type situations.

2) Our players really need to understand how to play situational football.  Reference the above goal line possession.  BJ got pressure on the first down pass and ended up taking a sack.  At least half our offense comes from him scrambling and making things happen, so normally that would be fine.  However, on first down with the clock and TO situation, that ball needed to be in the student section!  Another example was Mo's fumble near end of game.  Mo was doing a heck of a job fighting for extra yards and staying alive.  He has to understand though, in that situation there is really only one thing he can't do and that is give up the football. 

Otherwise it really was an excellent all around rebound game.  The game plan was solid, execution was good.  Worst part was student (and fan) attendance.

Special teams is awful, there is simply no doubt.  However, grading on the curve that they set, they did OK tonight.  Delbert had a couple of awful punts, but when the game was well in hand nailed one to pen UL back on their own 3!  Seriously though, they did a nice job covering kicks (and placing them, which obviously made coverage better).  Seemed to have the right personnel in the right positions - didn't waste any timeouts on special teams, that I recall.

I did take away two pretty substantial negatives, and I think they have plagued USF for as long as I have been a fan:

1) Clock management.  We get it first and goal with 0:26 in the first half.  The clock has stopped to move the chains and we decide to burn a TO?  What is that about?  Why not call a simple running play and if it doesn't work burn the TO.  You have more downs than you can use anyway.   To me, our coaching staff seems to do a great job firing the team up, but sometimes the excitement creates chaos and that is a bad thing in those clock management type situations.

2) Our players really need to understand how to play situational football.  Reference the above goal line possession.  BJ got pressure on the first down pass and ended up taking a sack.  At least half our offense comes from him scrambling and making things happen, so normally that would be fine.  However, on first down with the clock and TO situation, that ball needed to be in the student section!  Another example was Mo's fumble near end of game.  Mo was doing a heck of a job fighting for extra yards and staying alive.  He has to understand though, in that situation there is really only one thing he can't do and that is give up the football. 

Otherwise it really was an excellent all around rebound game.  The game plan was solid, execution was good.  Worst part was student (and fan) attendance.

Fan attendance?  If I were still living in FL I would have been there BUT, there's a lot more things to do in Tampa on a beautiful saturday than watching a mediocre team fight for a spot in the st. pete or whatever other pointless bowl they're going to.

• Content Count:  667

After what happened at RU last week, I didn't expect a big turnout at all.

After what happened at RU last week, I didn't expect a big turnout at all.

The way they embarrassed the university on national tv, they didn't deserve a big crowd.

• Content Count:  640

Willie,

We won this one.

Bulliever,

I can omit the word "other" to have it read:

"Canales did a much better job calling this game than in our losses"

That better?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,056
  • Days Won:  488

Yeah, but did you really have to drag this thread up?  :)

I had to read all the Richie and boltsrays blather again...

• Content Count:  640

Haha! Yeah, I guess that last one was pretty unnecessary. I lose track of em sometimes... My deepest and most considerate apologies.

Archived