only 6 Seniors in our top 44

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

"i think we are really overlooking that point.  i'm not here making excuses, but that is a very YOUNG team.  with all the talent we had in last year's class...i still think the future is bright for USF."

I think one of the most frustrating things around here has been that we have been hearing the same thing since 2005. 

I'd buy into this, but the thing that worries me is that most of the problems stem from our offense.  No one on offense has shown any signs of stepping up to be a true go to player.  I don't want to criticize BJ, but his noteriety has come from 3 or 4 long passes and some decent running.  In all reality he also 3 or 4 dropped interceptions from the opponents that is keeping him from being absolutely horrible.  Even if you go with the theory that we had to turn over the offense to a RS Freshman we still have a SR RB, 2 JR RBs, a SR TE, a SR WR, 3 or 4 JR WRs.  Still NO ONE has shown any sign of being capable of picking up the load as a go to playmaker.  With no signs of life this year, do we really expect that someone will magically flip a switch next year?  I'm not seeing it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,292
  • Days Won:  2

I know and 2008 was supposed to be our breakout year (we started the season in Top 25) because we had all 11 starters back on offense and most of the defense returning... and somehow we managed to have our worst season in the Big East (2-5).  ::)

When you return a bunch of players that are not really good that is the result you get.

Not sticking up for CJL I do have questions about him and the future of the program but I do see that this team is very young and in two years if we don't see some results it is time for a change.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

What's USC's non-excuse for losing to Stanford 2 out of 3 years, and this year by 34?

Sanjay, if you’re going to use sarcasm with smazza, it should at least be defendable.  When USF wins a couple of NCs, has 3 Heisman winners in seven years, is ranked in the top 5 seven consecutive years, wins their conference seven years in a row, etc, then excuses will probably go over without much ado (I know that much because my sister and two cousins point it out regularly, sorry). When you've never sniffed a BCS bowl, never ended a season in the top 25, never sniffed a conference championship, and you're part of a never-ending groundhog day replay, then excuses are like eating plain oatmeal for every meal.......tiresome and unflavorful.

I mean come on guys, we've got UCiF numbers against Rutgers and Cincy and you guys want to excuse it due to our lack of seniors? "If only we had more seniors!"  Even UCiF only got blown out by us once.  We've been beaten like a rented mule two years in a row by the scarlet rump rangers and twice in the last three games we’ve been the BE punching bag.  My angst is not with the team losing, it’s with it not being competitive in conference play against the same group of teams.  It's with a national  embarassment on ESPN.  It’s with the fact we only have two quality wins this year (FSU & WVU).

I tire of the excuses after three years of this conference meltdown nonsense. Only positive results can cure the ills.  Funny how I didn't here Brian Kelly talking about his brand new defense, 10 new starters, and a new DC and to not expect them to do well.  He reloaded and made do with what he had - no excuses - just results.  Do we now have to have 22 starting seniors in order to expect a competitive team in BE play? What percentage of seniors in the two-deep is the right mix?  Do we only play seniors to give ourselves a better shot of winning (sheesh)? Curious minds want to know.

Guest Scherdin

I will agree to a point that youth has played a part in this season's disappointment.  But where are our seniors, Murphy, Selvie, Busbee, etc.  The only one I've seen perform is K.Wilson and excusing MG obviosly.  If these guys are the leaders, why haven't they stepped up?

Having a young team with new coordinators has hurt us.  But my thing is, teams lose coordinators every year and the good ones still step up and keep winning or improving. And I'm not seeing a lot of that.  We have talent, there are teams that would love to have some of our kids.

I think there are more internal issues right now, whether it's lack of execusion from players in practice that is causing the coaches to scale back plays or the players not knowing the play book or even drama in the locker room.  These guys just don't look like a team right now.

Maybe if we win out and win our bowl game it will get everyone's mojo pumped and ready for next year.

Hopefully we just start making the right adjustments for these other kids to avoid this crap that is going on now 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,076
  • Days Won:  488

Sanjay, if you’re going to use sarcasm with smazza, it should at least be defendable.  When USF wins a couple of NCs, has 3 Heisman winners in seven years, is ranked in the top 5 seven consecutive years, wins their conference seven years in a row, etc, then excuses will probably go over without much ado.

But when you've only been in a DI-A conference for 6-7 years or so (BCS for 4), those "excuses" matter not?

I'd be more alarmed if I were a USC fan...They've been to the top and are failing.

The boo birds just don't want to hear that we're a young program, "no excuses" they say!  "Leave history out of it"!  But when the mighty have fallen such as FSU and USC - "Oh, but look at their rich history!" 

::)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,037
  • Days Won:  29

Bottom Line:

This season has been disappointing.

Go BULLS !!!

Yes it has..

Thanks for the "reality"...we need more of that.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

What's USC's non-excuse for losing to Stanford 2 out of 3 years, and this year by 34?

all their lbs agre gone

freshman qb

they lost most of defense

they lost top coaches

As I read on this board yesterday "excuses are for the incompetent".  ::)

Love that line.   :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,712
  • Days Won:  436

all their lbs agre gone

freshman qb

they lost most of defense

They had the top rated recruiting class of 2005 and 2006 and the 2nd rated class of 2007 .... You do the math as to where those players should be in the system this year .... Just face the facts, Pete is losing it as a head coach.

Archived