Trib: Detractors don't bother USF's Leavitt

USFishin

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,060
  • Days Won:  488

Not saying there is a movement, but some big donors are not happy - at all - with the way things are going. 

I ditto that comment CR, it's the same thing that I have mentioned and have been scoriated for.  Once and twice, were overlooked and now there is outside pressure from donors and the sports community in general.  I hope it leads to an internal evaluation of everyone's performance and subsequent changes/modifications.  Without it, we will be doomed to repeat (conference road losses, being the ***** to Cincy and Rutgers) for a fourth year which could lead to Armageddon  :D

I ditto that hbryan.  Who could possibly be happy with three losses in four games?  I think most are unhappy with that.  In fact, I know no one personally that is happy with losing in football or "life in general". 

I think internal reviews already happen, perhaps you remember Brett (I think it was) did a piece on that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Ok, Leavitt has 4 more seasons to win the Big East (Contract negotiations would probably start in 2013) if he does not thank him for his service and 2014 is his last year.   Fair to me and fair to him.  Put the pressure on him and give him money for his staff so he can put the pressure on them as well.

I agree... if winning the Big East is HCJL's goal then he has utterly failed. I'm not going to call for his head until then although its getting a lot easier to do so given that we got blown / shut out by a weak Rutgers team.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

talent is not the problem

we have the talent to beat anyone in the big east right now (except maybe pitt)

the problems are focus and preparation

the players are not focused (see: penaties, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc)

the coaches are not preparing and adjusting (see: game plans for kelly, wannstadt, sciano)

We do not have the best talent in the BE, at least not yet.  Heck, look no farther than our second string lineman and you'll see what I mean.  We have not arrived in the talent department, yet.  But we will after this and the next recruiting season.

• Content Count:  1,779
  • Days Won:  0

A couple of things are puzzling me with this thread:

1. When I think about USF's rapid ascension from CUSA to the Big East and the impact to the other coaches. The vast majority of the coaches have all been replaced (mens Basketball, women basketball, baseball, soccer) all in an effort to get better and to be more competitive.  I guess Leavitt is above all the other coaches that have been replaced.

2.People keep talking about USF football does not have the talent to compete in the Big East.  USF has and has had equal or better talent than most of the teams in the Big East.  It is up to the coaches to put their players in position to be competitive, USF has made these adjustments on defense but has not done that offense.

People, fan is short for fanatic, but lets not get looney. USF has problems and it is not necessarily with the players. The players only do what they are coached to do and the coaches are responsible for getting the most out of their players.  A well coached team will not consistently lose like USF has over the last three years. 

• Content Count:  8,177
  • Days Won:  6

the coaches are not preparing and adjusting (see: game plans for kelly, wannstadt, sciano)

We do not have the best talent in the BE, at least not yet.  Heck, look no farther than our second string lineman and you'll see what I mean.  We have not arrived in the talent department, yet.  But we will after this and the next recruiting season.

you speak of linemen... but we aren't recruiting any top flight talent at OL

• Content Count:  1,779

Last I checked Utah, Georgia Tech, Cincy, Uconn, TCU, Boise State, have not had top flight recruits. Not sure why USF's OL are any exception. These schools seem to be doing just fine.  Come on people with this talent issue. Excuses are tools of the incompetent.

• Content Count:  4,503

I can tell you for a fact that both TCU and Boise have NFL talent on both their DL and OL.  You are wrong about them.  The other teams you listed I don't know.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  23,015
  • Days Won:  109

A couple of things are puzzling me with this thread:

1. When I think about USF's rapid ascension from CUSA to the Big East and the impact to the other coaches. The vast majority of the coaches have all been replaced (mens Basketball, women basketball, baseball, soccer) all in an effort to get better and to be more competitive.  I guess Leavitt is above all the other coaches that have been replaced.

2.People keep talking about USF football does not have the talent to compete in the Big East.  USF has and has had equal or better talent than most of the teams in the Big East.  It is up to the coaches to put their players in position to be competitive, USF has made these adjustments on defense but has not done that offense.

People, fan is short for fanatic, but lets not get looney. USF has problems and it is not necessarily with the players. The players only do what they are coached to do and the coaches are responsible for getting the most out of their players.  A well coached team will not consistently lose like USF has over the last three years. 

Why then are there no USF players (maybe one O lineman if he's still around) playing offense in the NFL?  Even if we agree that they aren't getting coached up, don't you think NFL scouts can spot talent?

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Why then are there no USF players (maybe one O lineman if he's still around) playing offense in the NFL?  Even is we agree that they aren't getting coached up, don't you think NFL scouts can spot talent?

Next time you're able to catch a GaTech game on TV, look for a 6-6, 300 lb tackle, #61 with the name P. Smith.  He was a Jesuit grad, not highly rated by Rivals or Scout who is a starting RS Freshman.  He wanted a schollie from USF, wanted to play for USF, but was passed on (I know this first hand).  I guarantee you the kid will play on Sundays when he is done and will probably go in the top two rounds of the draft barring injury.  Not getting athletes is on the coaches CR and is a worn out excuse at this point in our history. 

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We're recruiting them but the best ones do not choose USF. 

We also have missed out ona  lot of second tier guys who could be developed.

We also do not develop the OL like we need to.  This is the biggest area of player development where the coaches have fallen short.

Archived