congratulations you have just been hired as usf's new AD

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Days Won:  3

I would say something along the lines of:  "Judy, listen its time to realize we are in a basketball conference, lets stop jerking around and put most of our efforts and resources into building a dominate Big East basketball program.  Its not working in football, plus we gotta ride it out until, you know who, the big guys contract is up.  So lets give Stan what he deserves.  Think about the greatest tournament on earth and the USF Bulls being 1 of about 8 teams representing the Big East, the best basketball conference in the land.  Judy I can see you in the crowd with the students on Sportscenter now, doing those crazy bull horns the students do these days. All good things! (maybe a slight butt pat) Listen we start Monday at 8am sharp, see you there." 

The usf bulls will play in the ncaa tournament sometime in my lifetime...i know it!!

and after the slight butt-pat another new AD is hired the next day

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

stop scheduling cupcakes to open the season. it does absolutely nothing to get us ready for b.e. play

somewhere among clemson, usc, georgia, ga tech, lsu, bama, and auburn we ought to be able to develop a long-term home and home ooc rivalry or three

• Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

First off, let me just say...EXCELLENT POST Steve!!! Kudos!!! very relevant and worth the opinions of this board.

I agree with most posts on here. I really agree we need to go up to the Midwest and get those big farm boys out of the cold and down here. We need beef! Our O line and D line is small compared to others. Speed and atleticicm is one thing. But beef is where it's at. Strength wins. OC must be able to adapt to any situation, something we have not seen. quit this wait and see O. Run the dang play. Catch the D off balance.  Find someone who can teach the D backs. Coverage, tackling etc. We are horrible at this. The main thing is to find coaches who instill DISCIPLINE on the team. Too much lack of, talking back, pimping, me attitude destroys a team. This is where we are. Those that say it's too late this season, BS! It should start now. If not adhered to, see ya! Go play for Thug U. And if the coaches don't adhere to it, see ya too!  Gotta have it folks. Gotta have it to succeed. We are a runaway Bull now with no direction or guidance.

• Content Count:  32

I'd bring Coach into my office and I'd say "Jim, you are about 2-3 weeks out form having to make one of the biggest decisions of your life. At this point, you are not just risking this season, this school's reputation or future, you are risking your own immortality."

Walk away now, and legions of people will always adore you. You will be the featured speaker here, the honored guest there, and your legend will grow every year as USF football does.

You did something extraordinary. You turned lead into gold. Something Strock could not do at FIU, something Schnellenberger could not do at FAU, no one could accomplish at UCF. You took us from scratch and carved a place in the Big 4.

We'll owe you about 3 million in your buyout, which is a pittance really. This area has shown it will pay and come out to see a top 25 football team, the same area that ignored us when we were a mid-major. The difference between 300,000 fans/year paying around $50 and 150000 fans/year paying around $20 is $10+ million every year. Hell, voodoo 5 cost us millions. Go to that BCS Bowl, no mid-year swoons after, who knows where we'd be.

Jim, when we hired you to be our coach 13 years ago for around $75,000 a year, we never expected you to be in the situation you're in now, honestly. If you had my job, and you had to review the last 5 years, you would come to the same conclusion.

Your kids will get up for the Miami game because, well, they just get up for these games. I wnat you to enjoy it.

And I'll tell you this, the first thing we do after you announce, we're going to press the the county commision to name the grass at Ray Jay Leavitt field, I bet the Glazers never thought of securing those specific rights, screw 'em.

The next thing I would do, I would negotiate with Leavitt's lawyers to pay his buyout over at least a few years. He'll accept it to be always welcome back as honored patriarch. I would direct Lee Roy Selmon to find the best people in sports to start the search and coordinate it (quickly, if Strong is the guy we want we have to grab him before Florida when Meyer goes to the Irish).

Also, there are alot of good coaches on the staff today. I would see to it that these coaches are kept on. Most notably:

Kevin Patrick - Named a Top 25 recruiter by rivals this year. Got us Giddins despite the Gators wanting him, not to meniton Jason Pierre Paul, who Nebraske tried to steal on sigining day. Also, he coaches our best unit.

Ronnie McKeefrey - Just named S&C coach of the year. Best there is, knows all the players, great for continuity.

Marquell Blackwell - We owe it to this guy if at all possible to keep him on. Plus, he's a winner.

On the fence:

Carl Franks - He's got the rolodex for recruiting, but his coaching is...not good. When the espn guys were saying "three points of pressure" on the ball after we fumbeld, this was pretty much a slap in the face to him. Maybe Rich Rachel?

BTW - I love Leavitt, but if you aren't convinced yet he has done all he can do, you never will be.

• Content Count:  66,199
  • Days Won:  172

Fired: Canales, Hendricks, Simmonds

Move:Franks from RB coach to just recruiting coordinator 

Have a sit down with:CJL

Reasoning for my moves

Canales-Bad playcalling for the last 2 years (lets not forget he was CO OC and Passing coordinator with Gregory) and the offense has not shown great improvement over what got Gregory fired.  I know losing Matt is a big blow but the direction of the offense and style of playcalling and lack of imagination have remained the same.  Sorry but if we decided what Gregory gave us as far as offensive philosophy wasn't working and Canales is giving us virtually the same direction hes got to go.

Hendricks-Special teams coach and.....Well i don't know what else he brings to the staff and his main job is special teams which are just deplorable.  When your a BCS team and your special teams look like a bad high school team's heads gotta roll.

Simmonds-I have seen a noticeable drop off in the style of play and quality of play up front since Frey left.  I just don't feel he's getting everything he can out of the offensive linemen so hes gotta go.  We need someone to help instill that just nasty im going to beat you up attitude upfront and recruit athletes that can be developed to be that kind of lineman. 

Franks-This has ZERO to do with the RBBC but is rather about the lack of us developing RB's i honestly cannot look anyone straight in the eyes and tell them that any of the current RB's are substantially better than when they first stepped foot on campus.  He's done a great job as our recruiting coordinator and that is what saves his job and now becomes his main focus. 

CJL-, Let him know the new hires must not be retreads or the buddy system he seems to use when its time to make a hire.  Scour the land and interview MANY candidates for all available spots we need to bring some fresh faces and ideas into USF football.  CJL would be safe till the end of his contract (I feel he's earned that).

I would also like to try to speed up the process on the practice fields and dining facilities.  I feel the lack of a dining facility and real control over the players diet really hurts us in our player development and S&C program.  We need better practice fields and we need them right there behind the athletic center for a myriad of reasons. 

this is tremendous

and makes some sense  and might keep everyone happy

• Content Count:  468

If I were in a position to make a difference...I'd:

1. Tell Woolard bye bye. Retire. Your salary is too high for what you bring to the table. 

2. Offer CJL the AD position - with special emphasis on working on 3 things:

a. focusing on helping the new coach/staff/team get to a BCS bowl.

b. focusing on helping the new coach/staff/team get the basketball team to regular NCAA appearances - and winning once there. 

c. getting funding set-up to start building Jim Leavitt Stadium - the man DESERVES it to be named after him.

3. Hire Chris Petersen away from Boise State.

• Content Count:  2,558

If I were in a position to make a difference...I'd:

1. Tell Woolard bye bye. Retire. Your salary is too high for what you bring to the table. 

2. Offer CJL the AD position - with special emphasis on working on 3 things:

a. focusing on helping the new coach/staff/team get to a BCS bowl.

b. focusing on helping the new coach/staff/team get the basketball team to regular NCAA appearances - and winning once there. 

c. getting funding set-up to start building Jim Leavitt Stadium - the man DESERVES it to be named after him.

3. Hire Chris Petersen away from Boise State.

wow you just got hired and you are going to give another person your job? Kudos

• Content Count:  8,178
  • Days Won:  6

We dont have the money to bring in a proven OC. 

we have already proven that we pay out OC around $37 less that UF pay theirs...

So would he come here for $37 less?  And why not?

ehhh... i don't think anyone is saying to bring in UF O-Coord... it is a fact that we pay 37K less. UF obviously hires top flight, in-demand coaches as they can do pretty much whatever they want...

We is being said is that we pay enough to hire quality... not the cream of the crop but quality.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Sit back and chuckle in January 2010 when Michigan fires Rich Rodriguez.  Drop Leavitt in January 2011 and hire Rodriguez (on the cheap).

• Content Count:  8,178
  • Days Won:  6

Sit back and chuckle in January 2010 when Michigan fires Rich Rodriguez.  Drop Leavitt in January 2011 and hire Rodriguez (on the cheap).

i don't think I would even want rich rod.

Archived