Hang in there

MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know if that really a top 25% thing. The number of bowls devalues the whole system. Getting into a bowl only means that you have finished in the top 68/120 (more than 50% of the teams) for 4 years in a row. Winning against Jacksonville State, Charleston Southern and the obligatory win against Syracuse is 2/6 wins needed to get a bid. If the St Pete Bowl hadn't come around last year the streak would have ended.

Listen its not nothing and I don't mean to bring this thread down but bowls are meaningless. I would rather watch the spring game. I went to last years because it was here. I watch 1/2 of the Sun Bowl (UGLY) and Papa Johns Bowl (ZZZZ) and NONE of the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Its a nice trip for the players and alumni, but bowls outside the BCS are truly meaningless and to judge yourself by getting into them is like saying you are a good person because you go to Disney every year. Besides the bowl are the biggest impediment to getting a playoff system in place.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If the St Pete Bowl hadn't come around last year the streak would have ended.

We finished 7-5 in the regular season last year.  Considering that we would have to be taken before 6-6 teams we would have just ended somewhere else without the st pete bowl.

• Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

There is still a lot at stake.

9 wins? Again.

4th place? Again.

A meaningless bowl? Again.

Thumbs up.

Beating Miami is the only thing left to play for this year. The perception of the program can/will change, good or bad, based on this 5 game series. Let's start off on the right foot, and be able to walk into a recruit's home and say "we beat FSU and Miami in the same year".

Other than that, 2 wins over 3 and 4 win teams, and a bowl win over a mediocre C-USA or a bad SEC team is not going to move the needle. Let's be honest.

I don't know if that really a top 25% thing. The number of bowls devalues the whole system. Getting into a bowl only means that you have finished in the top 68/120 (more than 50% of the teams) for 4 years in a row. Winning against Jacksonville State, Charleston Southern and the obligatory win against Syracuse is 2/6 wins needed to get a bid. If the St Pete Bowl hadn't come around last year the streak would have ended.

Listen its not nothing and I don't mean to bring this thread down but bowls are meaningless. I would rather watch the spring game. I went to last years because it was here. I watch 1/2 of the Sun Bowl (UGLY) and Papa Johns Bowl (ZZZZ) and NONE of the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Its a nice trip for the players and alumni, but bowls outside the BCS are truly meaningless and to judge yourself by getting into them is like saying you are a good person because you go to Disney every year. Besides the bowl are the biggest impediment to getting a playoff system in place.

I've been to every USF bowl game, and there is hardly anything more worthless than a St Pete/Birmingham/Meineke Bowl win. Neither of the cities involved give a **** about the bowl, much less the rest of the college football world.

That being said, it's not USF's fault that the Big East's bowl tie-ins are horrible. But the bottom line is that if you are a Big East team not involved in the BCS, Gator/Capitol One, and maaaaybe the Sun, no one cares.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,073
  • Days Won:  488

Whether you guys like the bowl games or not only matters to you.

The point is it's better to be one of 25 to have gone 4 times in a row than not to be in that group.

Some are so focused on minimizing everything, they enjoy nothing.

If a team is going to bowls, it's a good sign and helps in many ways.  Hopefully we go for 30 straight years and experience some higher end bowls (BCS) too.  Maybe them we'll demand just the NC bowl game is sufficient for our Bulls.

Archived