My rant

CousinRicky

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,506
  • Days Won:  111

I think Woolard has done a fantastic job here and I agree that he'll be gone before Leavitt.

We've gotten to know Doug and his wife just a little bit.  They say they love it here in Tampa.  That could be just blowing smoke but Sheri seems sincere about it.  If other offers come, who knows?

The long contract with coach is an issue and you need to get a little closer to the end of it before you can think about buying him out.  I don't have any inside knowledge, but I'm guessing CJL could go before Doug.  Other USF sports are coming along, the athletic facilities are progressing so I can't see Judy wanting Doug gone.  EVERYONE that works for Doug say he is a smart, really nice guy.  And every time we've been in their company he and his wife demonstrate that.  Total class and just nice, nice people.

We've met CJL and his wife a few times.  Never talked to coach much about anything other than football, but his wife is great and even spent time talking to her mom.  Actually ran into her in the parking lot last night (the mother in law).  But that doesn't mean I love what he does and think he should get a lifetime pass.  2 - 5, 3 - 4 and even 4 - 3 in the Big East just isn't good enough.  What is the sense in being in the Big East because it provides you a chance at a BCS game and then never getting to a BCS game?  Something will change - eventually. 

Money isn't the only answer, but we'll keep donating as much as we can and try to increase it.  It ticks me off when people threaten (or actually) drop season tickets, stop donating and don't show up for games.  How the he!! is that going to help anything.  Express your displeasure but support the school.  My wife and I aren't even grads, but we've chosen to support USF (mostly through athletics).  We are not going to withdraw that support because we lose some football games.  It should be a family and grads and current students need to support the school.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

The problem I have is the jackal and hyde of this team the last few years.  I'm to the point where I'm not sure I want to watch them.  I'm with Matt, I'd rather watch my 2 month old squirm around on the floor then get all worked up over these guys.

I had a few friends call me and ask what we were doing and I didn't have an answer, it's like the coaches choose when they want the kids to show up and when to lay down.  I understand our recent success has pushed the expectations a little.  But we are getting embarrassed out there now.  I'd be surprised if we get any more primetime games for a while.  Who wants to watch that garbage?

I'm thinking of going back to following this team ala 2005, when just a win was good and if we were fortunate to make a December bowl even better.

My feelings exactly, this team is a complete jeckal and hyde. I don't know if we're a good team or a bad team, all I know is we're an inconsistent team. We play down, or up, to the level of our competition. We have the ability and talent to be a good team, as evidenced by our success against top-25 teams, sans Cincy and Pitt this year. If we just plain sucked and had no talent, fine, we would have no expectations and accept competing for bowl game qualification. The problem is we are better than that, we have better talent than that, we just don't play up to our potential and come ready to play EVERY week like we should. This, IMO, is directly linked to leadership of the older players, and moreso leadership of this coaching staff and CJL. Leadership starts at the top.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

i would assume most of us are in the same boat that were not mad me loss, but in the way we loss and how we have not improved at all........I made a pack with the little woman last night that I am not spending another dime on this program (aside of tickets) until they turn this around....we were going to do the dinner thing coming up, but we just backed out of it.....a loss is ok, but playing with no heart, not trying, and just lack of coaching makes me feel the need to take some type of stand against this program.....i'll support my school by getting tickets and keep my donation small, but no more football gear or their program until changes are made either on the field or off......i'm just tired of the same crap every year

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,859
  • Days Won:  213

I keep hearing people expressing the need for CJL to move on-- but they never suggest who we are going to replace him with or how we can afford it.

Change for the sake of change isn't always the best move. Say what you want about how the team played this one game or even the handful of "bad" losses this year or last etc-- but do any of these folks think about some of the awesome games we've played as well? If we never were very good at football in the first place, you would have none of those good memories. I'm not saying give CJL a lifetime pass-- but how about a long leash?

Archived