Bulls Work Out Three Corners

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

Bulls Work Out Three Corners

Published: Nov 23, 2004

TAMPA - Finding replacements for injured starters has become commonplace for South Florida this season.

The latest to go down: junior CB D'Juan Brown, who suffered a season-ending broken left arm in Saturday's loss against Cincinnati.

Brown was one of two defensive backs - FS Javan Camon is the other - to start every game this year. He went into the Cincinnati game tied for seventh on the team in tackles with 25 and tied for first with four pass break-ups.

USF worked three players at Brown's spot Monday.

``Bruce [Gipson], Mike [Jenkins] and A.J. Brant were all in there,'' co-defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz said. ``We'll find a starter from that group to play opposite Trae [Williams].''

Jenkins has started three games this season.

ALL EYES ON USF: If USF (4-5, 3-4 Conference USA) becomes bowl eligible - it needs two wins - the Bulls will do so on ESPN2, which is televising Saturday morning's game vs. Memphis and has picked up USF's season finale with Pittsburgh on Dec. 4.

The Pitt game, originally scheduled for an ESPN broadcast on Labor Day but postponed because of Hurricane Frances, kicks off in Raymond James Stadium at 11 a.m.

Gregg Becnel

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBGA2VJV1E.html

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

good talent needs to be developed

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Man, this is not a good time to be working in new CBs... Memphis has a passing game and all that... hopefully we can pressure Wimprine up-front.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

these aren't new corners. gipson and jenkins have both played extensively in every game (since gipson came back over on defense). brant hasn't, but why would he start ahead of either gipson or jenkins when he's been behind them both all season? you could consider williams, gipson and jenkins to have been in a three-corner rotation for much of this year, and now it's just two of the three playing at the same time ...

greg

Guest HowieP1

Greg..I'm somewhat surprised we haven't used Carlton Williams yet. He was a very highly touted All State Georgia DB, who joined the team late when a scholarship became available. Any idea why we haven't?  

they've dressed carlton williams recently, but i think they're hesitant to pull him out of a redshirt for what would be fill-in duty in a few games. they're already young at the position, with jenkins, williams and brant all redshirt freshmen. williams seems like a talented player, but i don't think he would be better-suited to step in right now than those three RS freshmen ...

greg

Guest HowieP1

Thanks Greg, that's what I thought.

I guess that is the same reason they haven't brought in Gachette at QB for mop up duty.

At this point, it probably makes more sense to give the players an extra year.

sure. and quarterback, especially, is a tough position to come into as a true freshman. i know he got some headlines earlier in the season, but i don't think gachette was ever higher than No. 4 on the depth chart. severino may be a walk-on, but having a year in the system is a strong asset, and that familiarity is something gachette will gain more of this spring.

greg

Guest HowieP1

I think it's just a matter of time for USF football to really come into its own in the Big East, but some people here are a tad more impatient, in case you haven't noticed.  ;D