Greatest Bearcats QB Ever?

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

top_SPT0101_179x60.gif

bilde?Site=AB&Date=20041119&Category=SPT0101&ArtNo=411190428&Ref=AR&Profile=1078&MaxW=175&border=0

Greatest Bearcats quarterback ever?

By Bill Koch

Enquirer staff writer

Gino Guidugli has completed 45 of 70 passes for 645 yards and nine touchdowns in UC's three-game winning streak.

The Associated Press/Kevin Rivoli

Zoom  

He was raised to be tough. Gino Guidugli had no other choice, not with a father who trains athletes for a living and three brothers in the family.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the senior quarterback from Highlands High School has never missed a practice during his four years at the University of Cincinnati or that he has started 45 games in a row, more than any other player in UC history.

Guidugli has made his mark with a right arm that has broken nearly all of UC's passing records, but it's his toughness that defines him.

"I've never seen him take a practice off," said senior guard Matt Mercer. "That means a lot, especially to the young guys. They see a star out here and he doesn't take himself for granted."

Guidugli will play his last game at Nippert Stadium on Saturday when the Bearcats face South Florida needing one more win to become bowl-eligible. He'll take the field as the Bearcats' career leader in passing attempts (1,484), completions (826), passing yards (10,845), touchdown passes (73), interceptions (47), offensive plays (1,715) and total offense (11,043 yards).

You can make a strong case that Guidugli is the best quarterback ever at UC. But as soon as you do, you'll hear from the old-timers who will point to Greg Cook, who ranks fourth on UC's career passing yardage list.

That's a comparison Guidugli can't win, because he finds himself competing against a mythical figure whose greatness increases with time.

Cook was the Bengals' first-round draft pick in 1969 and went on to win American Football League offensive rookie of the year honors only to see his career cut short by a shoulder injury. Guidugli has never seen tape of Cook in action, but he has heard plenty about him.

"My dad said he was one of the greats," Guidugli said. "One of the Bengals' coaches told him he could have been one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history if he didn't get hurt," Guidugli added.

Guidugli didn't arrive at UC planning to surpass Cook's accomplishments. He was just hoping for a chance to play.

That opportunity came much sooner than he anticipated when Adam Hoover tore his ACL at Army in the second game of Guidugli's freshman year.

Thrust into action, he completed 31 of 41 passes for 311 yards and three touchdowns and rallied his team three times in the fourth quarter, the last coming with seven seconds remaining to lift the Bearcats to a 27-24 victory.

That game established Guidugli not only as UC's starting quarterback but as a quarterback with an uncanny knack for leading fourth-quarter comebacks, which he has done eight times.

"It just kind of happens," he said. "You're out there and you're not really thinking about a whole lot. It's either, 'We're going to go down and score or we're going to lose. What do you all want to do?' Usually everybody buys in."

In his first year at UC, head coach Mark Dantonio has grown into one of Guidugli's biggest fans, not only because of what Guidugli does on the field, but because of how he conducts himself.

When UC wins and he plays well, he praises his offensive line. When the Bearcats lose, he takes the blame.

"You've never seen him publicly come out and question anything that was going on," Dantonio said.

It was Guidugli who first began to rally the troops after the Bearcats' Oct. 9 loss at Army, leaving them at 2-4. On the plane ride home, he told Dantonio the season wasn't over and cited 2002 when UC began the season at 3-5, then rallied to win a share of the Conference USA championship, which he says remains the high point of his UC career.

That wasn't just false optimism. Since then, UC has won three straight games to improve to 5-4. Guidugli has been one of the big reasons for the turnaround, completing 45 of 70 passes for 645 yards and nine touchdowns in those three wins.

It's that kind of presence, in addition to his work ethic, that has Dantonio convinced Guidugli will play next year in the NFL.

"He's tough and he doesn't get hurt," Dantonio said. "He's got good mobility, he can get out of the pocket and move, and his arm strength is good."

Saturday's game will be emotional for the tough kid from Fort Thomas as he looks into his teammates' eyes for the last time on the field where he made his name.

"I don't think it's going to be a sad experience," Guidugli said. "It's going to be my last game, so let's make it happen."

Greatest Bearcats quarterback ever?

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

Is it too much to wish death upon him?   ;D

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Is it too much to wish death upon him?   ;D

A little bit too much.  Maybe the flu or food poisoning the day of the game.  Nothing serious.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

A little bit too much.  Maybe the flu or food poisoning the day of the game.  Nothing serious.

ok, I'll put my voodoo doll away.... :(

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Is Gino Guidugli is the greatest University of Cincinnati quarterback of all-time? Well, first let's compare him to... um... uh... drawing a blank here...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

No.  You will see why tomorrow.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

let the INT rule

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

hardly qb U

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

How about that great QB out of Cincinatti Penal   Suc Muc Duc # 1258765!!! :o

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

30-for-36... 330+ yards and a couple TD's thrown... he's the greastest in my book...

he made us look like a high school team on defense... and made our QB look like a JV player with his pinpoint accuracy and touch.