All charges dropped against Mompremier

bullballer

Guest HowieP1

Posted on Sat, Nov. 20, 2004

State attorney drops petty theft charges against Hunnicutt

Former Manatee High football star says he will re-enroll at South Florida

MIKE HENRY

Herald Staff Writer

Charges have been dropped by the state attorney's office against three University of South Florida football players, including former Manatee High defensive standout C.J. Hunnicutt, who were accused of stealing property valued at $3,615 from the dormitory room of a former teammate.

"We cannot locate our victim," said Hillsborough County assistant state attorney Pam Bondi. "You can't prosecute without a victim."

Defensive end Hunnicutt, linebacker Brouce Mompremier and defensive end Josh Julmiste were suspended from the team and withdrew from school in late summer after allegedly stealing property from former USF player Randy Jackson of Lake Mary. Jackson had quit the team in August.

Hunnicutt, who spent part of the fall as a volunteer assistant with Manatee High's junior varsity team, said Friday he plans to re-enroll for next semester and has selected an apartment in Tampa. He will be required to complete 24 credit hours during the semester and next summer to be eligible to play in 2005.

"My family believed in me the whole time, and I feel grateful and thankful to (Manatee coach Howie) DeCristofaro and Mrs. D. They've been like my second family," said Hunnicutt, who has been working for Westshore Pizza. "After I got a normal chewing out from coach and my mom, I knew I had to regain their trust. I've been trying to get back the reputation I had before as a good kid who wants to play football and go to school, instead of a thief who doesn't know what he's doing." The USF police department had sought felony grand theft charges against Mompremier and Julmiste and petty theft charges against Hunnicutt. According to a USF police report, the stolen items included a television, VCR, Play Station 2, computer and digital video discs.

Bondi would not comment on the reason Jackson has not stepped forward to press charges, but Jackson may have more serious concerns. In July, a complaint was filed against Jackson in Lake Mary for criminal mischief. A spokesperson for the Seminole County state attorney's office said no action has been taken on the complaint.

Hunnicutt has been meeting with defensive ends coach Rich Rachel the past four weeks to keep him apprised of his situation at home. In September, Hunnicutt and his mother, Julie Klepfer, met with the school's academic judicial board and were told he would retain his scholarship.

"(USF officials) want me to keep in touch with everybody instead of having to start over," said Hunnicutt, who has been working out at Westbay Athletic Club. "I'll probably register for classes early next week."

According to a published report in the St. Petersburg Times, Mompremier and Julmiste also plan to re-enroll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USF coach Jim Leavitt could not be reached for comment. The Bulls play today at Cincinnati.  

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/sports/10229273.htm