Coaching Website predicts Coach Franks will leave

Knight_Light

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Doesn't surprise me.

Also, does anyone else think it's strange that after taking a year + off to think about what he wants to do, Spurrier (who could pretty much go anywhere) would pick South Car?  No disrespect to usc but, this is hardly a coveted job?  Why go there of all places?

Also, now Spurrier must march his new team into the swamp every other year or so and risk hearing boos all the while, trying to beat his beloved Gators?

It doesn't make sense?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smazza

• Knight_Light

• USFPDiddy

• Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Doesn't surprise me.

Also, does anyone else think it's strange that after taking a year + off to think about what he wants to do, Spurrier (who could pretty much go anywhere) would pick South Car?  No disrespect to usc but, this is hardly a coveted job?  Why go there of all places?

Also, now Spurrier must march his new team into the swamp every other year or so and risk hearing boos all the while, trying to beat his beloved Gators?

It doesn't make sense?

Reasons: SEC, deep south, plenty of rednecks there he'll fit right in, he will eventually build the program and surpass UF thereby assuaging his huge ego, golf galore.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Well ... it's a worthy rumor ... we may have to offer OC position to him ... and money  :-[

It may be a situation for him to eventually move to HC, won't do it here.

And there is nothing wrong with offering him a position upgrade and raise here.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Link ???

It was listed and can be found on Footballscoop.com

It's a Coaches Website that helps Coaches find jobs, find opponents with open dates, sells books and videos, ads for clinics and camps, etc...

KL

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6

Ever notice that the Knight fans simply love to throw the bad news our way if they can find some?

If Franks leaves it will not be the end of football at USF. It may sting a little. But from what I understand, when SS was seriously considering the offer the Gators made to him on the downlow, he did ask Carl Franks about being on his staff. He declined/SS relented after they discuessed it further. Changing locales to USC believe it or not might mean more money. The way I see it, SS used the Gators to raise his price tag and the Gamecocks were wiling to shell out the serious money to get him. IF (and this is a big IF) they are willing to pay his assistants equally well-- then that might be a factor. BUT let's remember that USC has a coaching staff in place and SS is replacing Holtz who is going to the AD position. He will want to keep some of his guys in the mix and they are not bad coaches-- it will be a mixed bag of tricks. Considering that Franks declined previous offers, I have concluded that this is a RUMOR more so than a fact. But I have been wrong before.

Guest HowieP1

It was listed and can be found on Footballscoop.com

It's a Coaches Website that helps Coaches find jobs, find opponents with open dates, sells books and videos, ads for clinics and camps, etc...

KL

Here is the mention on that site:

South Carolina: The Tennessean in Nashville reported today that Steve Spurrier has agreed in principle to replace Lou Holtz at South Carolina.  If Spurrier goes to South Carolina, expect to see his son going from Arizona to So. Carolina to join his dad as WR coach and Carl Franks leaving USF to be RB coach and asst. offensive coordinator.

http://www.footballscoop.com/scoop.htm

Guest HowieP1

More conjecture in the papers:

University Of South Carolina  

Posted on Wed, Nov. 24, 2004

Surrier says staff search won’t be a Swamp thing

Some assistants sure to have Florida ties, but he hopes to retain several from USC

By JOSEPH PERSON

Staff Writer

Contrary to popular belief, Steve Spurrier has no plans to turn USC into the Columbia campus of the University of Florida  at least as far as his staff is concerned.

Spurrier’s inaugural Gamecocks staff figures to include several ex-Gator aides, but Spurrier said Tuesday he was “not going to bring a bunch of former Gator guys†to Columbia.

“We will try to put a staff together as soon as we can, although there may be one or two coaches who are currently in the NFL or one or two coaches who are coaching in a bowl game,†Spurrier said shortly after becoming the Gamecocks’ new head coach.

Spurrier said he hoped to retain several of the coaches who worked under Lou Holtz but declined to mention which assistants he was considering. After being introduced Tuesday afternoon, Spurrier planned to meet with Rick Stockstill, Holtz’s receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, to talk about the players USC has been recruiting.

Stockstill, 44, could be attractive to Spurrier because of his extensive, in-state recruiting background. Stockstill spent 14 years at Clemson before leaving in 2003 to become offensive coordinator at East Carolina.

David Reaves, 25, an assistant secondary coach under Holtz, has ties to Florida: His father, John Reaves, worked for Spurrier for four seasons in Gainesville.

Rick Minter, Holtz’s defensive coordinator, and Ron Cooper, the Gamecocks’ secondary coach, attended Spurrier’s introductory news conference Tuesday. If asked, both said they would meet with Spurrier about staying on.

Spurrier said there is a “good chance†one of the nine assistant spots will go to his son Steve Spurrier Jr., Arizona’s tight ends coach, who worked with his father at Florida and in the NFL with the Washington Redskins.

Other candidates who might join the offensive coaching staff include Noah Brindise, who took over for Stockstill at East Carolina; South Florida running backs coach and ex-Duke head coach Carl Franks; Florida receivers coach Dwayne Dixon; and John Gators, an offensive line coach at Florida under Spurrier.

Defensively, Houston Texans defensive backs coach Jon Hoke said Tuesday he had talked to Spurrier about the possibility of being his coordinator at USC. Hoke, an Ohio native who played at Ball State, was a Florida aide from 1999-2001.

“Obviously, I’ve coached with coach Spurrier before,†Hoke said. “The guy’s a winner, and there’s always an attraction to that.â€Â

With six games remaining on the Texans’ regular-season schedule, Hoke would not be available until after Jan. 1. And though he has few connections to South Carolina, Hoke said he is familiar with the state’s football.

“I know there’s talent in South Carolina because I know a lot of programs have gone in and gotten good players out of there,†he said.

Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Bo Pelini also has been mentioned as a candidate for the coordinator’s spot. Marshall linebackers coach Jim Collins, another Florida staffer under Spurrier, also is expected to talk to Spurrier about a defensive post.

Spurrier said coaching staffs in the NFL were large enough that he could bring all his “buddies†with him. Not so in college.

[n]“But it’s going to be a mixture of a lot of different guys,†said Spurrier, who hopes to have a full staff by the first week of January.

Reach Person at (803) 771-8496 or jperson@thestate.com.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/university_of_south_carolina/10259489.htm

Guest HowieP1

Follow up by Greg in the St Pete Times:

Home for the holidays

TAMPA - USF held a regular Wednesday practice in preparation for Saturday's Conference USA finale against Memphis, but the Bulls will hold drills at 10 a.m. today to allow players to travel home for Thanksgiving with their families. Coach Jim Leavitt said players who live outside the area will spend the holiday with the families of local players.

"Everybody's taken care of," said Leavitt, adding that he'll likely spend today "watching film."

STAYING FOCUSED: USF running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Carl Franks, an assistant coach under Steve Spurrier for 12 seasons at Duke and Florida, said he has not spoken with the new South Carolina coach and hasn't even thought about the prospect of leaving the Bulls should he be offered a position.

"My whole focus is coaching these guys," Franks said. "We still have games to play, and that's the only thing I'm worried about. Our focus is Memphis, and then Pittsburgh, and then recruiting."

Because of his ties to Spurrier, Franks was among the candidates listed by the State newspaper in Columbia, S.C., as potential additions to the Gamecocks staff. Spurrier has retained three assistants from Lou Holtz's coaching staff, wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Rick Stockstill, defensive backs coach Ron Cooper and assistant David Reaves.

Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed to this report.

[Last modified November 25, 2004, 00:12:21]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/25/Sports/Firing_trims_minority.shtml

Guest bullwarrior

There is no way in hell Franks will stay and work the crazy hours Leavitt makes them work and not get paid near as much as he would with SS while golfing and not working near the hours plus his family is up there some of you are crazy to think Franks would even consider staying at USF a day longer then he would have to.  Golf with Spurrier or argue with Leavitt about nothing

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

usf will be fine with or with out franks