It's become an annual question: Is Leavitt the guy to take us to the next level?

bullsbucsboltsrays

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

We are 5-5 (1-1), can you wait a month before this crap is started? Thanks.

i can take a loss to cincy.. they are the #8 team in the nation, for christ's sake.  but getting doubled-up on the scoreboard by a backup, 2-star QB seriously has me wondering if the game management and playcalling is in question at USF. maybe there needs to be an offense and defensive philosophy change or something, i dont know-- but i do no that this team is not going to win the big east this year.. i forsee at least 2 more big east games lost..

i mean, zach collaros was in the game and everyone in the stadium knew cincy was gonna run and milk the clock-- and they STILL did it.. thats when you know something's wrong-- when you know what a team is gonna do and they still do it without you stopping them.  do we blame tresey?  i'm tired of blaming the assistants-- because if its not this assistant this year, its the next assistant the next year that gets the blame.. jim gets a free pass because he worked out of a trailer  ::) . that maybe a cute cinderella story when we made a jump into the BCS, but now it's getting tired.

jim has never won a conference title, nor has he had us in the contention for one late in the season-- sure, we get the occasional OOC win from programs who don't see us often, but the Big East teams know us all to well and know exactly how to beat us-- and we still dont make the adjustments, year after year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  3

Last time i checked Leavitt doesn't drop interceptions, or passes. Blame the players not the coaches for this one.

BINGO.

• Content Count:  17

A few years back Cincinnati was coached by Rick Mintor who was doing a great job, was well liked and respected in Cincinnati.  IT was decided that he was not the coach to lead the Bearcats into the Big East, and he was out.  A difficult decision for the AD, but it has worked out so far.  I'm not advising USF do anything when I say that.

If the only coach you've ever had is in that same predicament, it will be an even more difficult decision to make at USF.  He is an emotional guy, and the fans understandably like him.  He has built a program from dust.  He is recruiting good football players, but he may not be THAT guy.  Good luck the rest of the season.

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Here we go again.  Yeah, let's let Leavitt go and hire Bobby Bowden.  Or how about Greg Robinson? 

Be careful what you wish for.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

he Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

In this case the job grew beyond his ability to fill it. He coaches with emotion and passion. Those are the tools that he used to build this program. You can win games, even big games with emotion and raw talent but you cannot consistently maintain the level of emotion needed win at this level. Unfortunately the composure, attention to detail and discipline needed to win at the Bulls current level are not his strong suits.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

So some want to try a new coach every 4 or so years ?

I am VERY happy with Leavitt.

Some need to remember that we're 5-1 and ONLY half way through this season.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  2,461

premature

• Content Count:  5,241

Grothe was only a 2 star recruit too. Stars are a bad way to evaluate players.

This next game against Pitt will be HUGE, if we rebound here and win it shows a lot of discipline and composure gained.

Leavitt can take us there, but you're gonna have to give him time.

• Content Count:  667

he Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

In this case the job grew beyond his ability to fill it. He coaches with emotion and passion. Those are the tools that he used to build this program. You can win games, even big games with emotion and raw talent but you cannot consistently maintain the level of emotion needed win at this level. Unfortunately the composure, attention to detail and discipline needed to win at the Bulls current level are not his strong suits.

i agree.. i think with the previous conferences (I-AA, I-A independent, C-USA) we've been in, you could get by with just recruiting superior talent.. now that it's the BCS, you need to have some sort of intelligence and game-management skills to win ball games-- brian kelly proved that last night. you can't tell me that UC was more talented, they were just put in the position to make big plays.

for instance: the long zach collaros TD run-- that was a great call, from a great coach. we had the athletes to stop it (you cant tell me our DB's couldnt track him down if they were put in the right position to--which is why they got burned).

• Content Count:  149

I think the rapid success of this program has put a lot of fans expectations out of touch with reality.  There are upset games every weekend....and this wasn't even an upset, just one loss....the first loss of the season at that.  I'd really like to know what some people would expect and be happy with if we had a different coach....would he be allowed to lose any games without everyone calling for his head?

For all these talent evaluations on here that everyone is talking about....are you basing our talent level on the first 5 games?  Because those teams sucked....BAD!  If you expect our players to perform the same way against Cincinnati as they did in the previous games, your in for a disappointment.  If we played well against 5 good teams and then lost to a bad team, then I would say that is the coaches fault.  But that is not what happened.  No one (outside of this message board) was/is saying "USF is much more talented than Cincinnati, they players are just far more athletic and superior."

They are a better team...and we lost to them.  It happens.  

Archived