Men's Track & Field

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

It looks like the move to the Big East and the new Athletic facility are really helping our recruiting in all sports:

Mitchell's Masterson picks USF

By BOB PUTNAM, Times Staff Writer

Published November 18, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Masterson has made his plans for next season official.

The Mitchell senior, Pasco County's most dominant distance runner, signed with South Florida.

"(USF) was one of my top choices," Masterson said. "They'll be in the Big East next year, and I'll get to travel across the country competing against top teams."

Masterson capped a sensational high school career two weeks ago by placing fourth in the Class 3A meet, four spots ahead of his closest county competitor. It was the third straight year he finished in the top 10 and second time in the top four. He also won a state track title in the 3,200-meter race last season.

Those performances helped Masterson believe he could make an immediate impact in college. The Bulls have just nine runners, and two missed most of the season with injuries. USF limped to a 10th-place finish at conference and was 17th at the region meet.

"Jeff was our No. 1 guy," Bulls coach Greg Thiel said. "I think he can come in and contribute right away. He has the chance to be one of our top four runners."

For the past three months, USF has pushed hard to sign Masterson. Thiel and distance coach Todd Martin scouted him at several meets, but missed his run at state because they were stuck in heavy traffic.

"But we didn't need to see him there," Thiel said. "We were already convinced."

Masterson made unofficial visits to the University of Florida and Tampa University before deciding on USF. He will join former Mitchell teammate Nick Ferrer, who made the team as a walk-on and was the No. 5 runner.

"I knew that I wanted to stay in the state," Masterson said. "Money was an issue and I had some family concerns. USF just made the most sense for me."

His reason for staying close to home is personal. Masterson's father, George, died last year after a long bout with cancer. He also has three brothers who have Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Daniel, 23, and David, 14, use wheelchairs. Aaron, 8, could need one soon.

Thiel said he knew about the mental anguish Masterson went through the past two seasons.

"That's one of the reasons we tabbed him all along," Thiel said. "We look for kids with a lot of character. Jeff certainly has that and that's why he'll have a lot of success in college.

"To see all that he's gone through and still be able to run well is something. I know I want a guy like that on my team."

[Last modified November 18, 2004, 00:15:17]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/18/Sports/Mitchell_s_Masterson_.shtml

Another Track & Field athlete, Tony Zanella, who just moved to Florida from Ill, and is completing his senior year at Palmetto Ridge HS, cited the Big East and the new athletic facility in selecting USF.

lockportoutdoor12.jpg

awardsnight35.jpg

There is apparently a story on that in the Naples Paper online but you need to register for it, and I didn't.

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/sp_varsity/article/0,2071,NPDN_14998_3336656,00.html

Someone who is registered might want to post the article.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

Here ya go Howie:

Two local athletes sign Division I letters

By DEREK REDD, dsredd@naplesnews.com

November 18, 2004

One has been a staple at Collier County swimming pools his entire high school career. The other just recently moved to Southwest Florida, but made history at one of Collier's new schools.

Both signed Division I letters-of-intent to continue their sports careers in college. Naples High swimmer Chris Sullivan signed his letter to Penn State University. Palmetto Ridge track athlete Tony Zanella signed his to the University of South Florida.

Sullivan, a three-time Naples Daily News Boys Swimmer of the Year, capped his stellar prep career by finishing second in the Class 3A state 500-yard freestyle championship, turning in an All-American time in the process. He also finished fifth in the 200-yard freestyle in the same meet. He owns the Collier County record in both events.

Sullivan had quite the selection to choose from, with Penn State, Princeton and Florida at the top of the list.

He said his decision came down to what he felt was the right fit, and the fact that the Penn State coach, Bill Dorenkott, is young and enthusiastic.

"I've got a head coach in his 30s that is really into (the sport)," he said. "It's just the place for me.

He's really into motivating the swimmers and that was what I was looking for."

Zanella had spent the majority of his high school career at Joliet Catholic in Illinois, but his family moved to Collier County for his senior year. He had been one of Illinois' top long jumpers, and will try to make his mark in the Sunshine State. He will sprint and long jump for Palmetto Ridge and do the same for the Bulls.

Palmetto Ridge celebrated his signing, the first college signing in the school's short history, with signs and balloons. After all, as one member of the audience said, he's now the answer to a trivia question.

"It's really flattering that they're making such a big deal out of it," he said. "I'm not the type of guy that really searches for this type of attention."

South Florida is a school close to Palmetto Ridge boys track coach Kim Butts' heart. One of his former athletes, Lely graduate and former state high school discus and shot put champion Dayana Octavien, won two Conference USA Women's Track Athlete Player of the Year awards there and now serves as an assistant coach.

Zanella said there were a lot of things that swayed his decision toward USF, including the new state-of-the-art athletic facility that recently opened on campus.

"It's awesome," he said with a smile. "When I went up there to visit, they took me to the place they used to lift weights and that's all the way under the arena."