USF Johnny Peyton has freshman receiving record

Guest owieP1

usf_ecar_15.jpg

USF Freshman Johnny Peyton already has the freshman receiving record

By Thomas Simonetti The Oracle

Tampa, FL (U-WIRE) -- When freshman Johnny Peyton came to USF, there were lofty expectations. After a quiet start to the season, USF's most explosive wide receiver is beginning to show what all the fuss was about.

"The Terrell Owens of this team?" said the 6-foot-5, 185-pound receiver from Pasco High school after he learned USF quarterback Pat Julmiste compared him to the star receiver of the Philadelphia Eagles.

But if making big plays makes Peyton similar to Owens, Julmiste may have a point.

Even without a reception in his first three games, Peyton has set a new USF freshman record with 356 receiving yards. He has two touchdowns and has caught passes of 50, 56, and 77 yards. With 14 grabs, Peyton averages 25.4 yards per catch.

But does Peyton have the outspoken personality Owens is known for?

"Johnny is a wild guy," Julmiste said. "You need some of that sometimes on the team -- especially on the offensive side of the ball -- because it gets us going. Oh yeah, he's the most confident."

USF coach Jim Leavitt has been hesitant to throw too much praise Peyton's way.

"Peyton is still learning," Leavitt said before the East Carolina game. "He's starting to get a grasp of it all. He has a lot of talent and ability. If he works harder and understands it all, then there's a lot more. He's still young." It could be that Leavitt doesn't want the acclaim going straight to the freshman's head.

"The T.O of the team though, man?" Peyton said. "He's got me thinking though. That is my favorite wide receiver."

Peyton got his first career start against UAB when junior Joe Bain went down with a groin injury. He has started two straight games.

The Bulls travel to Cincinnati this weekend for a game laced with bowl implications. The Bearcats look to get their sixth win of the season and become bowl eligible. The Bulls likely need to win their next two games for a shot at the postseason.

Peyton knows USF will have to win in conditions the team isn't used to, with forecasts showing temperatures dipping into the 60s.

"I just don't know about this cold weather this week," Peyton said. "I'm going to Sports Authority. I'm going to have a mask and two under armors -- one white, one green. I'm going to get hand warmers. I'm going to be right. As long as you're moving you're alright, but if you're standing still, it's not pleasant."

Cold or not, Peyton hopes to catch a lot of passes and Julmiste intends on finding him.

"Having a great guy like Johnny Peyton," Julmiste said, "he could be double covered and I'll still try to give him a shot at it because he's a great athlete. He goes up and gets it."

Though Peyton is just beginning his career, it seems that along with his confidence is a sense of urgency to earn a bowl berth.

"Right now we're trying to get to our first bowl game and we do feel we're going to make it," Peyton said. "No doubt about that in my mind. I mean, of course I'm confident. I'm always confident. The T.O. of the team, though? I guess you could say that."

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/uwire/111804aas.html

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

These guys really need to toughen up.  Too cold?  Temps "dipping into the 60's?!!?  Are you frigging kidding me.  Grow a sack.  It's called "football weather" Johnny.  You ain't playing golf on Sat.  I like Peyton and think he's going to be good but these guys have got to stop talking this way to the media.  It really makes us seem like a bunch of pansies.

BTW I don't like Leavitt's comments about the kid.  A freshman should never have to be told to work hardER.  He should be busting his tail.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

"I just don't know about this cold weather this week," Peyton said. "I'm going to Sports Authority. I'm going to have a mask and two under armors -- one white, one green. I'm going to get hand warmers. I'm going to be right. As long as you're moving you're alright, but if you're standing still, it's not pleasant."  

And he was looking at going to Pittsburg!????

Glad he made the right decision! ;D

Guest HowieP1

And he was looking at going to Pittsburg!????

Glad he made the right decision! ;D

There was another article just the other day on Peyton where he talked about his visit to Penn State and said it was 12 degrees there at the time and the weather wasn't for him. So, it was more in that context that he was talking about getting hand warmers etc, for this game, not knowing how cold it would be.

Guest HowieP1

Here is the other article:

College football

Got a minute?

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published November 17, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOHNNY PEYTON, WR

I asked Pat Julmiste if you are the most confident player on this team, and he said you are. He even said, "He's like the Terrell Owens of our team."

Of course, I'm confident. I'm always confident. But the TO of the team? You could say that. But I've been a little more quiet lately than usual.

I know you almost froze to death when you visited Penn State last winter. That had to help the Bulls keep you down south. How cold was it?

Probably about 12. I'm serious. When I felt that real January cold, I knew I couldn't do anything with that. It's not for me.

So are you worried about the cold at Cincinnati on Saturday? Going shopping?

As long as you're moving, you're all right. Standing still, that's not good. I'm going to Sports Authority. I'm going to have a mask, and two Under Armours - one white, one green. I'm going to get hand warmers. I'm going to be right.

Back to the Terrell Owens thing.

You know, he is my favorite receiver.

I can't say I'm shocked. He had three touchdowns for the Eagles Monday night.

Did you see him skating?

[Last modified November 17, 2004, 00:03:19]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/17/Sports/Got_a_minute.shtml

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

if he is the "TO of our team"

why don't they throw the ball his way of slants and over the middle patterns like TO

why isn't the ball thrown his way 10 times a game

he may be the best freshman receiver usf has ever had but he is hardly dominating

and cinnci players will ride him all day about his fear of the cold

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

usf_ecar_15.jpg

Kind of ironic, putting that picture with the article. I believe that's one of those early easy ones he ending up dropping. Good to see he's progressed .........

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  206
  • Days Won:  0

If he's TO then somebody call Nicollette Sheridan quick!!! ;D

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

TO doesn't drop on the money passes.  JP does.  TO isn't scared of playing in the cold.  JP is.  Big difference.