USF Women’s Basketball Receives Votes In ESPN/USA

MatRatUSF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

USF Women’s Basketball Receives Votes In ESPN/USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll  

Tampa, FL (Nov. 17, 2004) – The USF women’s basketball team received eight votes in the most recent ESPN/USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll, released Monday night, marking the first time in school history that they earned the distinction. The Bulls are ranked 40th in the country according to the full list.

USF is one of six Conference USA schools listed in either the top 25 or receiving votes. DePaul is ranked No. 20, while TCU (39), Houston (25), Marquette (9), USF, and Louisville (4) received votes.

In addition, the Bulls are the highest ranked team in the state of Florida. Florida and Miami received six and three votes respectively.

USF has started the season with a 1-1 record. The Bulls defeated Middle Tennessee State, 70-62, in the first round of the Sportsview.tv Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT) on November 12. The Lady Raiders, picked to win the Sun Belt Conference and advance to the NCAA Tournament in March, had received 25 votes in the initial preseason coaches poll last week. With the loss to USF, MTSU received just two votes in this week’s poll.

USF faced No. 6/6 Duke in the quarterfinal round dropping the decision to the Blue Devils 82-50. Duke, who plays No. 10/10 Notre Dame in the WNIT semifinals tonight, stayed at No. 6 in this week’s poll.

“Anytime you can get national recognition it’s great for the program but more for the young ladies who have worked so hard,†said Fernandez, “One of our goals in the offseason was to get ready for the WNIT, and through that hard work we got a good win at Middle Tennessee State. Unfortunately in the second round, against a great team like Duke, we got into an offensive lull and you can’t do that against top teams at that level. I really think that this (receiving votes) gives us some respect after being picked to finish eighth in Conference USA this year in the league’s preseason poll.â€Â

The Bulls will be back in action on Friday, November 19 against Texas A&M in the first round of the Miami Jam at Florida International University. The winner of that game will face the winner of the FIU vs. Bucknell match-up in the title game on Saturday, November 20 at 7 p.m. The two losing teams will meet in the consolation round on Saturday at 5 p.m.

All-America candidate Jessica Dickson (Ocala, FL) leads the Bulls in scoring averaging 17 points, while Anedra Gilmore (Jacksonville, FL) and Ezria Parsons (Bushnell, FL) are netting 10 points apiece per game. Parsons is also grabbing a team high 10 rebounds per outing.

USF will open its home schedule on Wednesday, November 24 at 7 p.m. against Army.

The Bulls will start play in the BIG EAST Conference, which has been one of the premier women’s basketball conferences in America, at the beginning of the 2005-06 academic year. The BIG EAST has won five of the last six national championships and six in the last 10 seasons. Connecticut – in addition to this year’s championship – also took the title in 1995, 2000, 2002, and 2003, and Notre Dame took the 2001 championship. In addition, Rutgers also advanced to the Women's Final Four in 2000.

All USF games can be heard live on www.GoUSFBulls.com with Amanda Miller handling the play-by-play.

For USF women’s basketball ticket information please call 1-800-GoBulls.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

wow... i guess losing to Duke made an impression on people  ;D

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

I am impressed.  Look at them 4 years ago, not even making the C-USA tourney, to receiving ranking votes.  Nice work coach.   :)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127

Great news for USF and a testament to the hard work of Coach Fernandez and his lady bulls.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

This is only the beginning.....Once this team gets healthy, they will be a mainstay in the top 25 rankings throughout the year..This team has a lot of talent and can compete with anyone once they get healthy

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260

Now the only question I have is Anyone going to come to the games now? This girls can play and have a chance at doing some things in my mind. But nobody is ever there for the games. Definitely think the fans need to show the ladybulls and coach fernandez some support for the great recruiting and dramatic improvement to this team. Plus the players we have are definitely fun to  watch. Gilmore is up and down the floor and plays with alot of guts, and dickson can light up the board with her jumper. Hopefully we get some more fans out for the games this year!

Go BULLS!!!! 8)

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

I don't think it was the loss to Duke that impressed them (which they did hold their own by the way) Our guards were a lot for them to handle but their size was just too much for us. On the other hand, MTSU is a very good team in women's basketball. They made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament and won their conference tournament.  When the ladies play UCONN, it will be a lot closer then the Duke game. They are a lot smaller then Duke is and their guards are not as experienced. It should be a fun year for women's basketball. Just wait till next year whe the new recruits can suit up and help this team.

Guest HowieP1

USF Women's Basketball Team Starting To Get Noticed

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Nov 18, 2004

TAMPA - Three years after taking over a women's basketball program rocked by racism allegations, Jose Fernandez guided the University of South Florida to its first postseason tournament in school history.

Last year's WNIT appearance appears to be a preview of better things to come.

Tuesday the Bulls received votes in the ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, another first in school history.

``When Coach told us, I was like `Whoa,' '' sophomore forward Jessica Dickson said. ``It was definitely surprising, but it's great for the program and great for USF.

``It was awesome. It gave us even more motivation and put some fire under us.''

The Bulls received eight points, good enough for 40th place, the highest ranking of any state school. Not bad for a team that won only four games in 2001.

``I guess we're catching the eyes of people around the country,'' Fernandez said. ``It's great, just great for the girls. I told them before this we could fly under the radar. Now people will come after you.

``But that's what we want. Along with that comes respect and national attention.''

The Bulls return all five starters, including Dickson, who was the nation's top-scoring freshman last season, averaging 18.6 points per game.

``Every program that's successful has a marquee player, and Jessica was our marquee player,'' Fernandez said. ``Then after Jessica committed, we got Nalini [Miller] and Rachael [sheats].

``It triggered a tremendous freshman class.''

Dickson, Miller and Sheats are all sophomore starters and are joined in the starting lineup by junior forward Ezria Parsons, an Auburn transfer from South Sumter, and senior guard Anedra Gilmore.

During the early signing period that started last week, USF signed Sarasota Riverview's Shantia Grace, rated the state's top player and the nation's 14th-best guard prospect.

``Heading into the Big East next year, each recruiting class is crucial,'' Fernandez said. ``We need to sign a [national] top 50-75 player each year.''

Coming off the Bulls' most successful season, Fernandez has his club playing its most ambitious schedule. Half of USF's 28 opponents reached the postseason last season, including 10 NCAA Tournament teams.

The Bulls opened the season last week, splitting two games in the Preseason WNIT. USF won at Sun Belt Conference favorite Middle Tennessee State before losing at No. 6 Duke.

Dickson said last year's WNIT berth and getting nationally ranked this week is something the team can build on.

``Everyone's just looking to try and help put the program on the map,'' Dickson said. ``We're doing it step by step. It may be little steps, but it's happening.

``We still want to stay humble, but our goals are to win a Conference USA championship and get an NCAA berth.''

USF WOMEN AT A GLANCE

RECORD: 14-15 (7-7 in Conference USA, eighth place)

COACH: Jose Fernandez (39-72 in four years)

ASSISTANTS: Harry Elifson, Sadiaa Jones, Amy Wright

HOMECOURT: Sun Dome (10,411)

TICKETS: $5, plus service charge. Call 1-800-GoBulls.

AUDIO: gousfbulls.com

WEB SITE: gousfbulls.com

PROJECTED STARTERS

Pos. Player Ht. Wt. Yr.

F - Jessica Dickson - 5-11 - So.

Looks to build on C-USA freshman-of-the- year honors last year.

F - Ezria Parsons - 6-0 - Jr.

Averaged team-best 8.4 rebounds in final eight games of 2003.

C - Nalini Miller - 6-2 - So.

Sixth on USF's career block list after one season.

G - Anedra Gilmore - 5-6 - Sr.

Was second in C- USA in assists (6.0) last season.

G - Rachael Sheats - 5-11 - So.

Shot a team- high 51.4 percent from the field.

Reserves: F Sharon Cambridge, 6-2, Jr.; C Tamara Dowdell, 6-2, Fr.; G Chanae Early, 5-5, Jr.; F Nikki Munneke, 6-1, Fr.; F ChiChi Okpaleke, 5-11, Fr.; G Alana Tanksley, 5-8, Sr.; G Tristen Webb, 5-8, Sr.

TEAM STRENGTHS: For a team with only one senior starter, experience wouldn't be considered a strength. However, the Bulls return their entire starting lineup from last season. USF will look to take advantage of its quickness and athleticism and wear opponents down.

TEAM WEAKNESSES: The Bulls are a bit undersized and could have trouble rebounding. The loss of Dowdell for the season stretches an already-thin frontcourt even thinner.

BOTTOM LINE: Fernandez continues to land highly ranked recruiting classes, and the results are starting to show. Last year's WNIT appearance was huge for the program, and the Bulls are setting their sights on another postseason bid this year. An NCAA bid is attainable, if not this season, then next year, when the Bulls return all but three players.

SCHEDULE

November:

Friday-at Miami Jam vs. Texas A&M, 3:30 p.m.

Saturday-Miami Jam consolation or championship, TBA

Wednesday-Army, 7 p.m.

27-Best Western Roundball Classic vs. St. Francis (N.Y.) 3 p.m.

28-Best Western Roundball Classic consolation or championship.

December:

1-at Connecticut 7 p.m.

12- Southeastern Louisiana, 2 p.m.

15-Southern, 7 p.m.

18-High Point, 7 p.m.

19-William & Mary, 3 p.m.

22-Wagner, 1 p.m.

January:

2-at Florida (Sunshine), 3 p.m.

7-Louisville (Bright House, Ch. 47), 7 p.m.

9-Cincinnati, 2 p.m.

14-at TCU, 8 p.m.

16-at Houston, 3 p.m.

21-Saint Louis (Bright House, Ch. 47), 7 p.m.

23-Memphis, 2 p.m.

28-at Marquette, 8 p.m.

30-at DePaul, 3 p.m.

February:

5-East Carolina, 1 p.m.

7-Charlotte, 7 p.m.

11-at Tulane, 8 p.m.

13-at Southern Miss, 3 p.m.

20-at UAB, 3 p.m.

26-UAB (Bright House, Ch. 47), 2 p.m.

March:

3-6-C-USA Tournament at Charlotte, N.C.