NON-USF: John Thompson Fired at ECU

JeffreyBEllis

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  61
  • Days Won:  0

Talk 1070 and Pirate Radio 1250 AM in Greenville are reporting that John Thompson has been terminated as the head coach of the Pirate intercollegiate football program at East Carolina University.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Wow, that was fast.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I am shocked!!   ;)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

He wasn't hired by the current AD.  Makes sense.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

Yep they are on the Boneyard Banter sight wishing Johnson good luck etc...and wishing the new AD good luck as well...no elaborations in the messages.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I watched the 4th qtr replay of the game last nite.  I was impressed how much concern the ECU coaches gave to the Pinkney and the 2nd string QB.  The OC was really trying to uplift Pinkney after he broke down emotionally in the fourth qtr.  I didn't see this at the game but its on the video.  Pinkney was pretty distraught over the lose to USF.  Then Thompson gave Robinson? (backup QB) a hug and encouragement after he threw the INT for a TD.  Its a shame when things don't work out for good people.  That's the perception I got from the game video anyway.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

Is he gone now? or at season's end ? Wasn't this only his 2nd year? or his 1st  :o

OC is former gaytor QB Noah Brandise.

Here's the skinny on Yahoo Sports:

East Carolina coach Thompson resigns

November 17, 2004

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA (TICKER) -- East Carolina football coach John Thompson on Wednesday announced his resignation effective at the end of the season.

Thompson has guided East Carolina to a 3-18 record since taking over for Steve Logan in December, 2002. The Pirates, who play Memphis on Saturday before finishing up their season on November 27 against North Carolina State, are 2-7 this season, including a 2-5 record in Conference USA.

"I want to thank the players, staff, families and the entire Pirate Nation for their support and kindness," Thompson said. "Greenville has been our home and the people here are great."

Thompson had spent 22 years as an assistant coach before being hired to take over for Logan. The 1978 grad of Central Arkansas spent 19 seasons as a defensive coordinator at four Southeastern Conference schools: Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and LSU. He had just completed his first season at Florida when he was tabbed by East Carolina.

The Pirates went 1-11 last season and lost their first four games this season. The offense ranks last in the conference in scoring and total offense and 10th in the 11-team league in total defense.

East Carolina athletics director Terry Holland indicated a search to replace Thompson would begin immediately after the conclusion of the season.

"After these two games are played, we will turn our attention to a search for a new coach," Holland. "Our first option will be to seek a coach with a successful record at the Division I level."

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Here's the skinny on Yahoo Sports:

East Carolina coach Thompson resigns

November 17, 2004

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA (TICKER) -- East Carolina football coach John Thompson on Wednesday announced his resignation effective at the end of the season.

Thompson has guided East Carolina to a 3-18 record since taking over for Steve Logan in December, 2002. The Pirates, who play Memphis on Saturday before finishing up their season on November 27 against North Carolina State, are 2-7 this season, including a 2-5 record in Conference USA.

"I want to thank the players, staff, families and the entire Pirate Nation for their support and kindness," Thompson said. "Greenville has been our home and the people here are great."

Thompson had spent 22 years as an assistant coach before being hired to take over for Logan. The 1978 grad of Central Arkansas spent 19 seasons as a defensive coordinator at four Southeastern Conference schools: Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and LSU. He had just completed his first season at Florida when he was tabbed by East Carolina.

The Pirates went 1-11 last season and lost their first four games this season. The offense ranks last in the conference in scoring and total offense and 10th in the 11-team league in total defense.

East Carolina athletics director Terry Holland indicated a search to replace Thompson would begin immediately after the conclusion of the season.

"After these two games are played, we will turn our attention to a search for a new coach," Holland. "Our first option will be to seek a coach with a successful record at the Division I level."

That's not the Virginia Terry Holland, is it?

That's not the Virginia Terry Holland, is it?

Yes it is.