6' 11'' prospect visit this weekend?

Triple B

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Looks like Stan's strategy worked. He put the pressure on Austin by having that other big guy visit along with him.

Austin will learn a lot from playing with and behind Famous and Anderson. If everybody on the front line comes back we will have tremendous depth there with quality.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'll reserve judgment on Anderson until I watch him play against Big East competition. He's known for being more of a finesse power forward, and we already have one of those in Gilchrist.

I'll reserve judgment on Anderson until I watch him play against Big East competition. He's known for being more of a finesse power forward, and we already have one of those in Gilchrist.

You have a right to reserve judgment but let me tell you this, Anderson is probably the most physical guy on the roster right now, or at least among the top 2. He doesn't shy away from contact and proved that in the Big 12 where there are some strong athletic forwards and centers there. The bonus is he can also make some shots out to 12 or 15 ft and has a serviceable hook shot. If Gilchrist and Famous come back Anderson and Fitzpatrick will back them up which gives USF virtually no fall off from the starters.

Austin really is coming into a great situation as he doesn't have to be rushed into action or be looked at as the savior. If everybody comes back he could be redshirted unless he proves to be further along then what is expected.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

More on the other big man who visited along with his teammates:

7-foot-2 center, '12 guard made visit to USF

You've probably read by now that 6-foot-10 center Waverly Austin made an official visit to USF this past weekend, liking things enough that he committed to play for the Bulls next season. Turns out he wasn't the only big recruit taking in the USF-West Virginia game with Bulls coach Stan Heath.

Four talented players from Montverde Academy in Orlando made unofficial visits to take in the game, according to Montverde coach Kevin Sutton. It's a very international group, one that could be part of USF's recruiting efforts for the next three seasons.

"They had a great time," Sutton said. "Any kid at a boarding school is going to enjoy the chance to take in a big college football game on ESPN(2) and meet people like Ozzie Guillen before the game."

The first name is one we've mentioned here before -- Haukur "Hawk" Palsson, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Iceland who has a scholarship offer from USF but isn't likely to make his decision until the spring signing period. Sutton said Palsson is also considering Vanderbilt, Central Florida and Idaho but won't take official visits until after his season at Montverde.

Literally the biggest of the group is Mark Overdevest, a 7-foot-2, 260-pound junior center from New Zealand who just enrolled at Montverde this past month, Sutton said. Overdevest is "wide open" in the recruiting process, but USF was the first college campus he's visited. "He just got here," said Sutton, whose team opens its regular season on Nov. 27.

Another intriguing name is Michael Avery, a 6-5 sophomore guard who transferred to Montverde from Thousand Oaks, Calif., and has already made a name for himself in recruiting circles. Avery made headlines when he committed to Kentucky as an eighth grader, essentially picking a college before he had picked a high school. Coach Billy Gillispie is no longer at Kentucky, but one of his assistants, Jeremy Cox, is now on Heath's staff, giving the Bulls a close connection beyond the proximity to Montverde.

Also taking in the USF game was Caleb Clyburn, a point guard at Montverde who is from Winter Garden and was a teammate of USF recruiting target Keith Clanton at Orlando Christian Prep before transferring to Montverde.

Lots more basketball recruiting to come, so keep checking back for updates on Heath's options for his final scholarship in this class ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 04:02:29 PM on November 2, 2009 in Men's basketball , Recruiting

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/11/7foot2-center-12-guard-made-visit-to-usf.html#comments

BIG EAST RECRUITING UPDATE: SOUTH FLORIDA

November 3, 2009 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

*********Follow NBE Sports on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NBESports*****

by JEFF BORZELLO

Verbal Commitment Alert: Waverly Austin, 6′10 C from Heat Academy in Martinsville (VA)

Only a week after landing guard Lavonte Dority, South Florida has struck again, this time getting a commitment from big man Waverly Austin.

Austin, a 6-11, 250-lb. forward from Heat Academy in Martinsville, Va., chose the Bulls over Indiana, Cincinnati and Seton Hall.

“I had a good relationship with the coaches,†Austin said. “I’m going to be able to play right away as a freshman, plus my mom lives in Jacksonville so she will be able to come and see all my games.â€

Austin is a long and athletic performer who can finish well in transition. He runs the floor very well and has excellent hands when catching passes.

He is confident he can be a factor immediately in the Big East.

“I think I can make a great impact,†Austin said. “I’m going to get a lot of minutes, about 27 minutes per game as a freshman. I can contribute with rebounding and blocking shots. Offensively, I can play an all-around game, I can face-up and shoot, play with my back to the basket. That’s how I will help them.â€

Austin visited the USF campus this past weekend, attending the Bulls’ football game against West Virginia and checking out the campus with the current basketball players. He was ready to make a commitment shortly thereafter.

He added that it was always a goal of his to play in the Big East.

“Of course,†Austin said. “It’s the best conference.â€

Austin was familiar with current USF big man Augustus Gilchrist, whom he trained with before Gilchrist went to college. He said it helped that he knew a player on the team before committing.

Although Austin’s recruitment is over, he is not resting on his laurels – he wants to improve.

“I want to work on everything,†he said. “I need to get strong, work on my shot. I want to improve my post moves, my conditioning.â€

With the recent commitment of Austin and Dority, South Florida head coach Stan Heath has one more scholarship currently available in the 2010 class. One player possibly on the USF radar is Pe’Shon Howard.

Howard was a fast-rising prospect this past summer. The physical guard from Los Angeles who plays for Oak Hill Academy (Va.) was impressive in every event in which he participated.

His recruitment was blowing up quickly. In August, Howard claimed offers from upwards of 12 schools – including St. John’s, Marquette, Rutgers, Harvard, Stanford, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, USC, Virginia, Alabama and Tennessee – and interest from UCLA and Arizona.

The 6-foot-2 Howard seemed to be well on his way to being a marquee recruit in the class of 2010.

Now, he is down to just one offer – South Florida.

“All got guards or something,†he said. “None of them [are] on me anymore.

“Of course [it motivates me]. But I’m a very motivated person; I don’t need a lot to push me.â€

Nonetheless, Howard recently took a trip to South Florida, and enjoyed his visit.

“It was cool,†Howard said. “I like it a lot; they are doing some positive things down there.â€

When discussing what he did on the visit, one interesting thing stood out in particular.

“I met the AD,†Howard said. “Like the student advisor – I think you call it – she handles all the team classes. [i went] to practice. And I ate a bunch of food.â€

With so many regional ties for Howard, it is very difficult to project where he might end up. Without a doubt, though, it seems that South Florida will be in the running – and likely not just because of the cuisine.

“I don’t have a list but I do like them,†said Howard, who also added that he has no favorites or even any more visits scheduled.

When asked if he was going to wait until the spring to sign with a program, Howard responded: “Maybe. Not sure yet.â€

While Austin was a visitor this past weekend, he was not alone touring the USF campus and taking in the USF-West Virginia football game with Bulls coach Stan Heath.

Four talented players from Montverde Academy in Orlando made unofficial visits to take in the game as well according to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times.

Haukur “Hawk†Palsson, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Iceland who has a scholarship offer from USF but isn’t likely to make his decision until the spring signing period was one of the players making a visit. A couple other intriguing names to remember include Mark Overdevest, a 7-foot-2, 260-pound junior center from New Zealand who just enrolled at Montverde this past month and Michael Avery, a 6-5 sophomore guard who transferred to Montverde from Thousand Oaks (CA). Most might recognize Avery’s name as he had previously committed, as an 8th grader, to Kentucky when Billy Gillispie was the head coach at UK. Former Gillispie UK assistant Jeremy Cox is now on Heath’s staff, giving the Bulls a close connection beyond the proximity to Montverde with Avery.

According to Auman, the fourth Monteverde player visiting over the weekend was Caleb Clyburn, a point guard at Montverde who is from Winter Garden.

————————

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/11/03/big-east-recruiting-update-south-florida-15/

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

How can he (howard) get a scholarship offer from Harvard?  They don't give athletic scholarships, correct?  Ivy league doesn't as a whole.

How can he (howard) get a scholarship offer from Harvard?  They don't give athletic scholarships, correct?  Ivy league doesn't as a whole.

Austin Carroll recently gave a verbal to RU over Harvard. Perhaps, they get around it somewhat by giving out academic scholarships and/or other financial aid packages.

http://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=127436833&mid=127436833&sid=959&style=2

Harvard has been able to recruit well under their new HC:

Amaker and his staff have brought in recruits that will eventually put Harvard in a position to claim its first-ever Ivy League crown.

...Harvard, in Amaker's second season at the helm, finished 15-15 last season and 6-8 in league play but showed its potential with a victory at then-ranked Boston College and also one on its home floor against Cornell.

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2009/10/29/kentucky_scrimmage_harvard_becomes_ivy_league_contender

That's sad about Howard but it's lesson to these young men who want to drag out the recruiting process. He could have committed to USF when given the chance. He enjoyed his visit and the need was there for USF. Heath followed Howard as much as anybody this past summer so he really wanted him. Peshon was proud of all those scholarships and believed he could string colleges along for a while but schools move on to guys that are ready and willing to make a decision. Now he is down to 1 offer and that is USF.

Honestly if I was him I'd be begging Heath to take me now. Stan needs a SF but he could just take the best player available to him. If that's the case then maybe Howard will end up here. I know one thing it will be risky to wait until the spring thinking it will yield more opportunities elsewhere.

I would still rather Heath go get Ge-Lawn Guyn who is taller and more explosive then Howard, but Howard would be an upgrade over Leemow who just won't be brought back next season.

Archived