• beastiebull

• MikeG

• bulldad

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Anyone watching that game could see that Royal was mad about the officials call. Leavitt jumped on Royal's case because of the penalty. Royal was just frustrated and not trying to disrespect his coach. This reminded me of what Frank Beamer of VaTech did to one of his WRs on national TV. Only the VaTech was more embarrassing than Leavitt and Royal yelling. Frank Beamer basically ***** slapped that poor Va Tech WR on national TV while they were getting their butts kicked against West Virginia last season. Anyway, the team had to separate the two because that player was about to deck Beamer after he was getting ***** slapped in the face.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Beastie.....your point regarding Seth....how about the time Brigman refused to go into the game or the time Leather left the court to go sit in the stands?  What did your glorious Greenie do with those guys?

Exactly,   Seth gets berated and your "glorious" Leavitt gets a pass.  On top of that the incident is being minimalized as being an issue b/t player and ref not player and coach.  Our former basketball coach never received the benefit of that doubt.  My point was our football team is going down the same slippery slope as our basketball team did, and it shows in our record.

If you bothered to read my post you would see that I never said Seth was better than Leavitt in handling this situation.  They both mishandled a disrespectful, undisciplined player the same way.  

It's comical how whenever I mention Seth on this board people think I'm defending him.  Where did I say Seth was "glorious" and where did I defend him?  They're both wrong.   geesh...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure-- by the time that happens, Jill may be kind of OLD.

I have a feeling she will age gracefully ........ besides if L'ville and Memphis get that treatment, we can't be that far behind.   8)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

The Trib sheds some light on Leavitt's frame of mind about this subject.  It appears Leavitt wants "fired-up" or fiery players 24/7.  We don't know exactly what was said but if Royal's never attacked CJL verbally but was just being extremely vocal about the official's borderline call then this incident appears to be borderline excusable.

IMO, one of the issues is CJL is putting himself on the level of the players.  CJL is a players coach 100%.  If his players are leaving everything on the field, a mistake every once in awhile is excusable.  Or losing your cool on the field can be looked past.  Is it right?  I think its a matter of opinion.  Leavitt is in the Top 10 all-time of winning 50 games the fastest.  It is excusable for now.  But as always, the rule is "Just Win!" (within the rules) and all is forgiven.  That's all it takes to be a good coach.  It does concern me that ultimately it could lead to his demise in the long run/big picture.

Guest HowieP1

From SPT:

ROYAL FEUD: Leavitt had plenty to say to defensive end Terrence Royal when the junior was displeased at getting pulled from the game after a 15-yard penalty in the fourth quarter, and ESPN2 announcers talked at length about the apparent shouting match on the sideline.

"It was more me staying on top of him. I was driving him pretty hard, mainly because I was disappointed by the personal foul," Leavitt said. "We've made such a point about keeping away from penalties. Terrence lined up offsides twice and got a personal foul, and that's why I was riding him hard.

"I wasn't going to put him back in the game until I got my point across well, and I don't care what people think of that. Terrence and I have a very good relationship."

Royal, who drew a costly 15-yard penalty for taking his helmet off in the loss to Southern Miss, had two of USF's five sacks and a third tackle for a loss, but his penalty could have been costly. It was the middle of three penalties that gave UAB first downs as the Blazers drove late in the third quarter, looking to build on a 20-17 lead. USF forced a fumble inside the 5, setting up a furious 28-point fourth quarter.

"He always plays hard, and you can't take that away from him," Leavitt said. "We've got to get him playing smart also. I want guys playing with an emotion, and when you have a coach who coaches with emotion, you're going to have some of that happen. It was never out of control, but he's going to do what I say."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/05/Sports/Hall_easily_on_a_reco.shtml

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

From SPT:

ROYAL FEUD: Leavitt had plenty to say to defensive end Terrence Royal when the junior was displeased at getting pulled from the game after a 15-yard penalty in the fourth quarter, and ESPN2 announcers talked at length about the apparent shouting match on the sideline.

"It was more me staying on top of him. I was driving him pretty hard, mainly because I was disappointed by the personal foul," Leavitt said. "We've made such a point about keeping away from penalties. Terrence lined up offsides twice and got a personal foul, and that's why I was riding him hard.

"I wasn't going to put him back in the game until I got my point across well, and I don't care what people think of that. Terrence and I have a very good relationship."

Royal, who drew a costly 15-yard penalty for taking his helmet off in the loss to Southern Miss, had two of USF's five sacks and a third tackle for a loss, but his penalty could have been costly. It was the middle of three penalties that gave UAB first downs as the Blazers drove late in the third quarter, looking to build on a 20-17 lead. USF forced a fumble inside the 5, setting up a furious 28-point fourth quarter.

"He always plays hard, and you can't take that away from him," Leavitt said. "We've got to get him playing smart also. I want guys playing with an emotion, and when you have a coach who coaches with emotion, you're going to have some of that happen. It was never out of control, but he's going to do what I say."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/05/Sports/Hall_easily_on_a_reco.shtml

As usual, mountain ................... molehill.